Sheffields Famous Bricklayers.

When I started work on the building trade at Bradway  ,I was told to take the gobbo and bricks around the site by leading a shire horse called Bonney pulling a cart  .  I wrote about this in ,First Day at Work and ended up with a horse .  Can't find the thread now for some reason /,.

22 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Ted Finner site agent ? at Ackroyd and Abbots would not let apprentices smoke on site and whilst working at Darfield Colliery I tried chewing tobacco, never again once was enough.

He once sacked me and a bricki I called David Wright , He said our bulls eye  window openings where crap, David said to him “I know I have told him about it “ meaning me , Ted replied , “It’s not his I am on about it’thine shut Wrighty up that did .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Ted Finner site agent ? at Ackroyd and Abbots would not let apprentices smoke on site and whilst working at Darfield Colliery I tried chewing tobacco, never again once was enough.

When I first started I was a so called apprentice property repairer  The only thing they had me doing was mixing plaster and running roof tiles on new roofs one day l heard the guy who was about  25 to make sure l kept going ,Red Rag ,To A Bull , after about 2 weeks I had him telling me to slow down , When I was 18 Cuttsie said to me they are having you for a mug  I was only earning about £6 ,  He said you can get a man’s rate at 18 , went to proctors roofing got £12 a week. , Soon after started on hod  ,  Cuttsie and his mate came for me went sub contract 1964 got around £30 a week , That was the start off something  I really liked doing   That’s Me .

29 minutes ago, Slinny said:

When I first started I was a so called apprentice property repairer  The only thing they had me doing was mixing plaster and running roof tiles on new roofs one day l heard the guy who was about  25 to make sure l kept going ,Red Rag ,To A Bull , after about 2 weeks I had him telling me to slow down , When I was 18 Cuttsie said to me they are having you for a mug  I was only earning about £6 ,  He said you can get a man’s rate at 18 , went to proctors roofing got £12 a week. , Soon after started on hod  ,  Cuttsie and his mate came for me went sub contract 1964 got around £30 a week , That was the start off something  I really liked doing   That’s Me .

Bang on that ,Slinney.

30 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Hod carriers deserved every penny they got, they handled twice as many bricks, gobbo etc than a Bricklayer, often got there a bit earlier or stayed a bit later loading out for the next morning.

In those days they were respected and paid right.

Then came the brickies who thought it was OK to give em £30 a day and keep the rest themselves.

Never been reight that.

2 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Hod carriers deserved every penny they got, they handled twice as many bricks, gobbo etc than a Bricklayer, often got there a bit earlier or stayed a bit later loading out for the next morning.

Then came the brickies who thought it was OK to give em £30 a day and keep the rest themselves.

Never been reight that.

I got the same as bricklayers When you did Scaffolding mixing and carried all the lot you deserved it I used to say my car was part off my tool kit , I could come earlry or stop late , Get organised that is what you must do and don’t put to much stuff on scaffold if you did you were moving it twice , A bricklayer once came to ask me to go with them, they worked seven days a week not for me , slow bricklayers always said fast ones were rough  , They never wanted to even split money  ,that’s because they could not make it pay  .my moto was the old Frank Sinartra  song I did it my way ,,

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slinny said:

I got the same as bricklayers When you did Scaffolding mixing and carried all the lot you deserved it I used to say my car was part off my tool kit , I could come earlry or stop late , Get organised that is what you must do and don’t put to much stuff on scaffold if you did you were moving it twice , A bricklayer once came to ask me to go with them, they worked seven days a week not for me , slow bricklayers always said fast ones were rough  , They never wanted to even split money  ,that’s because they could not make it pay  .my moto was the old Frank Sinartra  song I did it my way ,,

Good post, I've known good brickies and I've also known brickies who weren't as good at it as the Man carrying the hod to them.

A lot did the four and half days and were in the Bottom of the Lane on Friday lunch, they'd earned their money.

Edited by Alextopman

3 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Never been reight that.

Had some of that mate . Brickies on 5 or 6 hundred a week , me on 200  and running me nuts off for that .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cuttsie said:

When I started work on the building trade at Bradway  ,I was told to take the gobbo and bricks around the site by leading a shire horse called Bonney pulling a cart  .  I wrote about this in ,First Day at Work and ended up with a horse .  Can't find the thread now for some reason /,.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/292097-first-day-at-work-and-end-up-with-a-horse/

• Like 1