The Conservative Party - Part Two.

Guest sibon
27 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Did you stamp you foot when you posted those comments?

The poster is correct to point out that Starmer wanted a longer lockdown than what happened under the leadership of Boris.  A longer lockdown wouldn't have helped the economy recover or grow.

Shouldn’t you be out refereeing fights between the warring Tory factions?

22 minutes ago, m williamson said:

No sibon that can't be it.

As you well know it's always someone elses fault. If the blame game was able to contribute to the economy we'd be the richest country in the world.

The thing is, as much as I’d like to criticise Johnson and his cronies, I do think that they had little choice over the lockdowns. They might have been a bit too long, they might have siphoned cash to their mates. But the lockdowns were correct and were the choice of governments worldwide, on the advice of eminent scientists.

Maybe we should put a self electrocuting, TV repair man in charge next time. See how that goes.

22 minutes ago, sibon said:

The thing is, as much as I’d like to criticise Johnson and his cronies, I do think that they had little choice over the lockdowns. They might have been a bit too long, they might have siphoned cash to their mates. But the lockdowns were correct and were the choice of governments worldwide, on the advice of eminent scientists.

Maybe we should put a self electrocuting, TV repair man in charge next time. See how that goes.

I agree, Johnson was a terrible Prime Minister just as he was a terrible Foreign Secretary and London Mayor. The list of balls ups he managed in those positions were lengthy and would have resulted in sackings  in the real world.

But as you say the pandemic was a difficult one and it's easy to criticise from the sidelines. There is enough incompetence and dodgy dealings to sink Johnson without his handling of the covid situation being taken into account.

41 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Correct the pandemic was a global emergency.  The World Health Organisation is now claiming the UK had a lower covid related death rate than countries such as Germany, Italy and Spain.  I remember Germany originally being applauded for their handling of the pandemic. The truth is the UK never under reported covid related deaths and if anything they over reported covid related deaths.  Boris deserves credit for his handling of the pandemic.

I wouldn't waste my time. If they had listened to me Boris wouldn't have been removed as Tory leader and the future for the Tory party would look a lot rosier today.

No he doesn't:

On 24/07/2022 at 13:19, Mister M said:

The impending public inquiry will show that he neglected to take Covid seriously when it was emerging, locked down late, lifted restriction too early. Johnson stood by Dominic Cummings despite fury from the public, and many MPs at the frankly unbelievable story that Cummings told of his reason for not obeying lockdown rules. We know why. Johnson knew that Cummings knew that Johnson also broke the rules and, was found to have broken the law in this regard. 

There's a huge death toll as a consequence of this virus, and the UK is an island nation. The inquiry will also look into this. 

His decision to prioritise hospitals instead of care homes, his failure not procure enough PPE, and the decision to largely abandon public health measures such as contact tracing in March 2020, and the hugely expensive but useless 'world beating' Test and Trace system will also come under the spotlight.

Britain’s economy suffered one of the biggest downturns of any major economy during the pandemic

There have been numerous links of his Ministers, backbenchers and Tory Lords who have used the Covid situation to enrich family members, friends and themselves at the taxpayers expense. 

I'm sure Sweden did not have a total lockdown during the covid pandemic. So how did there mortality rate  compare to Scotland, which has a similar population to Sweden.  

Edited by hauxwell

12 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I'm sure Sweden did not have a total lockdown during the covid pandemic. So how did there mortality rate  compare to Scotland, which has a similar population to Sweden.  

Similar populations in what way? Ideally this should be in the covid thread by the way

Edited by melthebell

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Similar populations in what way? Ideally this should be in the covid thread by the way

Yes I agree about the covid thread.

There was something in the papers saying that Swedens mortality rate was no worse than counties who had a covid lockdown.  

Is Boris set for a rebound?

Apparently Tory membership are petitioning for Boris to be included in the Tory leadership race.

Strange times.....

24 minutes ago, West 77 said:

They are wasting their time petitioning for Boris to be included in this Tory leadership race.  If Boris decides to stay on as a MP then he could be a candidate in a future leadership race.  The Tory party and the country will be in a real mess if Boris is required to save our nation again.

Save our Nation again! its all to down him why the country is in bits just like his Fragged head,  are you for real. :loopy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

Correct the pandemic was a global emergency.  The World Health Organisation is now claiming the UK had a lower covid related death rate than countries such as Germany, Italy and Spain.  I remember Germany originally being applauded for their handling of the pandemic. The truth is the UK never under reported covid related deaths and if anything they over reported covid related deaths.  Boris deserves credit for his handling of the pandemic.

I wouldn't waste my time. If they had listened to me Boris wouldn't have been removed as Tory leader and the future for the Tory party would look a lot rosier today.

How do you work that one out.

23 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Unlike you I've a real grasp of the situation.  The country is having problems mainly due to the consequences of the pandemic and other global problems such as the Russia and Ukraine war which has had detrimental effect on most of the World.

I'll use one of your phrases, Yawn,  Johnson,  as far as your concearned is faultless infact perfect, thats why there are two competing for the leadership position he has just been BOOTED OUT OF.  

43 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Unlike you I've a real grasp of the situation.  The country is having problems mainly due to the consequences of the pandemic and other global problems such as the Russia and Ukraine war which has had detrimental effect on most of the World.

No sorry, your 'real grasp of the situation' is fundamentally flawed. The above problems have certainly not helped, but the roots of all the problems go back well before any of them, and were largely caused by them..

It's the Conservative's handling of the financial crash (also caused largely by Thatcher's deregulation of the banking industry) and 12 years of Tory Austerity which laid the foundations, and got the ball rolling for the state we're now in.

Because of constant cuts to the health service and care services, we  were in no state to be able to deal with the Pandemic as well as they should. The Government ignored the warnings, and failed in the preparations for the coming storm. Boris didn't even attend the required Cobra meetings to keep abreast of the situation. The result was panic and all about protecting the NHS, not the people, so the many deficiencies visited on the NHS would not be found out. 

Contracts were mismanaged and given out willy nilly to cronies at inflated prices, equipment failed or was in short supply, as were nurses and doctors, and elderly people were discharged from hospital into care homes which caused the epidemic to rage rampent there with huge loss of life. The mistakes were many and often, but already well documented and we're still paying the price now.

The NHS is in tatters and mental health in the gutter.

However, that's the tip of the iceberg in terms of the damage Austerity has done across the board of services and basic living standards, which it seems we can no longer afford. But remember, foodbanks, the working poor, and growing poverty, et al, were with us long before the Pandemic, and we were well on the slide. 

Nevertheless it seems we can still afford to supply an endless supply of weapons to the Ukraine, which are either a very generous gift, or a nice little earner, which doesn't encourage the war to ever end.

And I see you make no mention of Brexit, which was promoted with great enthusiasm, and a great many lies, by the chrismatic Boris himself. His 'getting Brexit done' with 'an oven ready deal' was no such thing, and we are still grappling with the endless, often unsolvable problems that it has wrought, doing the country no favours at what is a very difficult time. 

There is no problem which Boris, and his Tory cronies, have not made immeasurably worse with their blind incompetence.  And a change of Tory leadership is not going to improve anything. 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 2