The Conservative Party - Part Two.

6 minutes ago, altus said:

It comes from the TV series Happy Days were they were so desperate for ideas they had one of the characters water ski jump over a shark.

Praising Thatcher in Scotland is so going to boost his popularity and help reinforce the union north of the border.

He's an absolute gift to Nicola Sturgeon.

Wow it gets better . Thanks for that .

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think we've jumped the shark.

BBC News - Thatcher helped climate by closing coal mines, says Boris Johnson
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58107009

Next week, Boris will claim to have sorted out elderly care by chucking covid infected old people into care homes like a grenade.

And importing cheap coal mined in Poland. How did that help the climate?

46 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Surely to god it's got to damage his standing in places like bolsover. I know you have to move on - and too many haven't- but to be so flippant about the damage caused, he can't get away with that can he?

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Surely to god it's got to damage his standing in places like bolsover. I know you have to move on - and too many haven't- but to be so flippant about the damage caused, he can't get away with that can he?

Should be a gift to Labour in former "red wall" seats.

Perhaps he's embarrassed by the Tories representing so many "oiks" - and obviously knows Rishi isn't going to divi up for "levelling up".

Edited by Longcol

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

They have all moved on now which is why Bolsover now have a Tory MP.  It's rather amusing to read the comments from the desperate political opponents of Boris and of course your comments.

Not any where near as badly as China are doing at this moment in time.  It made economic sense to use cheap foreign coal when mining British coal became too expensive mainly for geology reasons. The big mistake the UK made was not investing big time in Nuclear Power in a similar way the French did.  

Boris’s latest clanger in saying that Thatchers pit closures put the U.K. at the forefront of fossil fuel control is no big deal in itself.

Its the sort of light hearted joke that any comedian might make.

He came to public prominence on Have I got news for you,where his public school buffoonery was entertaining.

However,it doesn’t come over so well as P.M. when he is only ever a step away from making another crass and ill considered comment.

15 hours ago, Longcol said:

Because UK coal was too sulphurous to burn, which is why they started using imports.

Still an issue today:

Case for Cumbrian mine undermined by doubt over UK market for coking coal
Sulphur content of the coal could mean British companies are unable to use it

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment/2021/03/01/case-cumbrian-mine-undermined-doubt-uk-market-coking-coal/

Analysis from local campaigners found that the high sulphur content in this coal would force any UK steelmaker to make major investment in sulphur abatement technology (to prevent acid rain) before they could use it.

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/government-coal-mine-robert-jenrick-climate/

Edited by alchresearch

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

It wasn't a clanger. He actually used the word advertently. 

I agree with you regarding Have I got news.  The truth is the jokes and humour have played a big part in Boris getting where he is today. He's not going to change and he's in the unique position that he can say things and do things that most likely no other British  politician would get away without damaging  their career.  For those who judge his behaviour is not becoming of a British Prime Minister then blame the rogue parliament and rogue speaker for attempting to cheat the British people out of their democratic choice which was to leave the EU.

The only things rogue in parliament during that time were May's rogue government's illegal attempt to bypass the sovereignty of parliament over article 50 and Johnson's rogue government's attempt to bypass the sovereignty of parliament by unlawfully proroguing it.

4 hours ago, RJRB said:

Boris’s latest clanger in saying that Thatchers pit closures put the U.K. at the forefront of fossil fuel control is no big deal in itself.

Thatcher started to close UK pits before climate change was ever thought about!

8 hours ago, West 77 said:

It wasn't a clanger. He actually used the word advertently. 

I agree with you regarding Have I got news.  The truth is the jokes and humour have played a big part in Boris getting where he is today. He's not going to change and he's in the unique position that he can say things and do things that most likely no other British  politician would get away without damaging  their career.  For those who judge his behaviour is not becoming of a British Prime Minister then blame the rogue parliament and rogue speaker for attempting to cheat the British people out of their democratic choice which was to leave the EU.

Why blame others for Johnson’s own shortcomings.

By all means blame others for whatever you consider to be their mistakes.

6 hours ago, West 77 said:

The electorate judged otherwise which is why the Tories led by Boris won an eighty seat majority at the 2019 December general election. 

This is a ridiculous argument. The fact that the Tories won an eighty seat majority is not, I repeat is not, an endorsement of whatever you happen to be advocating at the moment you find yourself short of a good argument.

2 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

This is a ridiculous argument. The fact that the Tories won an eighty seat majority is not, I repeat is not, an endorsement of whatever you happen to be advocating at the moment you find yourself short of a good argument.

But Johnson can do as he pleases, because he has a large majority. Most people will kowtow to the leader of the country

4 minutes ago, El Cid said:

But Johnson can do as he pleases, because he has a large majority. Most people will kowtow to the leader of the country

I am sure that he cannot do as he pleases,if only because his own cabinet and MPs will keep him in check on some issues.

They are probably more intent on maintaining their positions than Johnson is.

His fortune will be made with his biography and lecture tours in the years to come.

Mission almost accomplished.