The Conservative Party - Part Two.

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

Labour, on their current trajectory with hard right/Brexity discourse, pushing a lot of their electorate towards LibDems, Greens and others, will not be doing anywhere near as well as they think.

Labour don't have a choice,

The tories are bobbling along at about 30% in the polls. 

They only need 40% to win the next GE.

If Labour want to win, they have to get votes from people who were happy to vote for tories at the last election : at that means pro Brexit.

Kier Starmer *could* say something pragmatic about the EU : 'it would solve a lot of problems if we joined the customs union' - and it would guarantee a conservative win at the next GE. 

not because Brexit is massively popular, but because those 'missing' 10% think it's important.

18 hours ago, Slinny said:

If we are on the same wavelength , to put my point in a nut shell, this government is the worst I have ever know in my life time , Thatcher comes very close  but this lot wins by a short length , 

Much as I disliked her policies, Thatcher did have a degree of personal integrity and conviction.

The current lot are a bunch of crooks and sociopaths. No integrity whatsoever. All they care about is winning by any means. And they'll lie, cheat and steal to do it. 

28 minutes ago, ads36 said:

If Labour want to win, they have to get votes from people who were happy to vote for tories at the last election : at that means pro Brexit.

Kier Starmer *could* say something pragmatic about the EU : 'it would solve a lot of problems if we joined the customs union' - and it would guarantee a conservative win at the next GE. 

not because Brexit is massively popular, but because those 'missing' 10% think it's important.

I understand that ‘arithmetic’ well, ads36.

It never had any merit, but politically it made sense in the 2017-2021 (-at a stretch) context.

The issue is that it is so long past its sell-by-date by know, as to be firmly into ever-diminishing-returns territory: Starmer gains nothing for Labour by amping up divisive rethoric à la “EU is stealing our lunch and our dinner money” in red tops.

Gammons will still vote Tory or some other fringe hard right party next year, because they are at least as susceptible to Tory “vote Labour and you’ll get poorer/meeellions of LGBTQNYZ muslamic immigrunts” dog whistles.

Floating voters, many (most according to historical tracking polls) of whom understand well that the EU isn’t stealing anything, rather the UK is burning fivers by the kilo whilst giving the rods to all, will go LibDems, Greens or others, instead of voting for yet another ‘leopard will eat your face’ party, only with a different coat pattern.

Kier Farage should just clam up about Brexit, like Corbyn did for so long. Now it makes sense to do so. Instead of boxing himself up into a political corner like Theresa May did throughout 2017 and 2018.

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Much as I disliked her policies, Thatcher did have a degree of personal integrity and conviction.

The current lot are a bunch of crooks and sociopaths. No integrity whatsoever. All they care about is winning by any means. And they'll lie, cheat and steal to do it. 

Agreed about the current bunch but IMO Thatcher was evil.

4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Agreed about the current bunch but IMO Thatcher was evil.

3 minutes ago, Axe said:

What a Clown. 🤡

46 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Apparently Starmer has written an article in the Express, saying the opposite. We will not be rejoining the market or customs union. I haven't seen it but it's been mentioned on TV.

Considering the mess the country is in after 13 years of the Tories, Labour should be miles ahead. The fact that they aren't is very worrying. I don't think I can stand anymore of the Tories...

Apparently Starmer is going to make a pledge that he wont issue anymore licensing for all new oil, gas and coal projects.

I guess we'll have to wait and see

Some folk vote in the way they back a horse, that being for the one with the name that they like.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Apparently Starmer has written an article in the Express, saying the opposite. We will not be rejoining the market or customs union. I haven't seen it but it's been mentioned on TV.

exactly. if he says anything pro-EU he instantly loses the next GE.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Considering the mess the country is in after 13 years of the Tories, Labour should be miles ahead. The fact that they aren't is very worrying. I don't think I can stand anymore of the Tories...

we have to remember that the ... sensible (?) vote is split at least 5 ways.

The tories only need 40%, because of fptp, Labour have to somehow find a way to appeal to tory voters - without losing too many labour voters...

it's the very definition of an impossible job.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

The only consolation will be,  that If Starmer does lose,  Labour will dump him immediately and install a proper leader who believes in Labour ideals.

He must be aware of this too,  along with his cabinet in waiting.

Makes me wonder if they are all in full agreement with the course he is steering,  especially Angela Rayner,  who I know,  is not his biggest fan.

Edited by Organgrinder