Bum Pain

Have a slight pain in the bum (no joke). Feels like it could be a strained muscle, possibly too much exercise (running). Had it 2 or 3 days now. Not sure it merits a trip to GP (probably would be gone by time appointment came round), but any suggestions to treat muscle strain in bum? Could call in at pharmacy tomorrow...

Guest makapaka
45 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Have a slight pain in the bum (no joke). Feels like it could be a strained muscle, possibly too much exercise (running). Had it 2 or 3 days now. Not sure it merits a trip to GP (probably would be gone by time appointment came round), but any suggestions to treat muscle strain in bum? Could call in at pharmacy tomorrow...

1. Don’t google it 

2. have a rest  

Should say

3. Go doctors if you can’t get rid of it

Go to GP as soon as possible, as he will examine it. Otherwise until then a sports cold pack on the area will reduce any swelling.

Deep heat, fiery Jack whatever it's called these days, don't get it on yer ringpiece though lol

Edited by melthebell

I have this now and then, alternating heat and cold and take ibuprofen, mines normally down to  the  Sciatic nerve.

I have an injection every few months which sometimes irritates the nerve and can last up to a week normally 3-4 days.

other causes in the  past have been from exercising too much (running), I had an assessment done by  Simon Till a few years ago , it was well worth seeing someone like  him, if it's something that becomes a longer term issue, as  he diagnosed a labral tear in my hip and  osteoarthritis.

if it continues see your G.P

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

Go to GP as soon as possible, as he will examine it. Otherwise until then a sports cold pack on the area will reduce any swelling.

No, don't. He's got better things to do. Wait for a bit and it'll stop hurting.

Thanks for suggestions everyone.

It feels like a sprained muscle, it’s definitely in he muscle area of bum rather than a joint etc. My best guess would be running injury; have been upping my monthly mileage and did long runs on Monday and Wednesday. Never had it before though, and ran a lot in the past, but then, I was younger in the past...

Will rest it a bit. Have some Ibruprophen gel and Deep Heat at the ready!

Edited by Waldo

Warm bath, with rosemary oil or fresh rosemary or Epsom salts.

Rest.

Wear supportive cushioned trainers, even when walking around house.

Gently apply voltarol gel or ibuprofen gel and consider stick on heat pads.

Edited by Lex Luthor

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

Thanks for suggestions everyone.

It feels like a sprained muscle, it’s definitely in he muscle area of bum rather than a joint etc. My best guess would be running injury; have been upping my monthly mileage and did long runs on Monday and Wednesday. Never had it before though, and ran a lot in the past, but then, I was younger in the past...

Will rest it a bit. Have some Ibruprophen gel and Deep Heat at the ready!

You are doing everything right. Remember it’s cold packs for swellings and heat for stiffness.Also the best rub in cream I’ve found to be Voltarol. Rest it well, no more running for awhile !

Get a lacrosse ball, sit on it where the pain is- will hurt but trust me, breaks down muscle and loosens it.

11 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

Get a lacrosse ball, sit on it where the pain is- will hurt but trust me, breaks down muscle and loosens it.

If it is definitely muscular.  If it's problems starting up with the sciatic nerve, then this could cause further damage.

2 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

If it is definitely muscular.  If it's problems starting up with the sciatic nerve, then this could cause further damage.

It may be the piriformis muscle which sits right next to where the sciatic nerve runs down.

I've seen a professional before when had very dense pain in that region. I invested in a lacrosse ball which helped and still does if the problem flares up.

The OP can try various techniques and if just muscular, some rest and ice packs will resolve.