Is Our NHS in Safe Hands?

my only comment is this ,the goverment has a majority to do what it wants,so they cannot hide behind ,its not our fault ,they will now have to take us out of the europe by dec 2020 fully,and add the nurses ect,so no  buts they promised.

50 minutes ago, geared said:

Bit late now, the time to address this issue was last week at the ballot box.  Clearly the country has gone blue, whatever happens, happens.

I just hope those that voted Tory don't find themselves in need a system that isn't available anymore, they got what they voted for afterall.

Well the government would not let this be broadcast before the election, so it could only come out once we had voted.

Edited by nightrider

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

(...)

You start with 5 apples, and then you add another 2.

Now you might think that that adds up to 7, but you're wrong  - one of those 5 apples isn't going to be eaten, so that's one more.

Do you see now?!

Perfectly ;)

Look, the British electorate voted for 5 more years' worth of Westminster sleight-of-hand and broken promises, in full knowledge of the fact (suppressed tidbits like this ITV documentary, the Russian interference report, etc. notwithstanding).

So let the people have what they want, you antidemocrat, you :nono:

That bassett one post above, especially the "no buts they promised" end, is one of the better, recent everlasting posts :D

Edited by L00b

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

Perfectly ;)

Look, the British electorate voted for 5 more years' worth of Westminster sleight-of-hand and broken promises, in full knowledge of the fact (suppressed tidbits like this ITV documentary, the Russian interference report, etc. notwithstanding).

So let the people have what they want, you antidemocrat, you :nono:

That bassett one post above, especially the "no buts they promised" end, is one of the better, recent everlasting posts :D

Minister on BBC today said they won't be able to honour their investment promises to the north because now they have been elected they have discovered there is a big deficit from the previous government!

15 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Minister on BBC today said they won't be able to honour their investment promises to the north because now they have been elected they have discovered there is a big deficit from the previous government!

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! :lol:

Now is that the previous Labour government outed in 2010 (...still)?

Or any of the previous Tory governments in the 9 years since then?

asking for a friend (whilst LOL'ing at duped northern Tory voters) :D

54 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Well the government would not let this be broadcast before the election, so it could only come out once we had voted.

The same rules made by the Electoral Commission apply to all broadcasters in the run up to an election. It's designed to make a level playing field.

I once watched a programme on an NHS hospital with some expert who was trying to make it more streamlined(i think it was during Blairs term but i am probably wrong) he had umpteen suggestions to improve the provision of services,better utilisation of operating theatres,diversion of menial tasks away from nursing staff, improvements to the quality of meals served for the same money being spent etc

It all went well until it hit the consultants(the one's who opt for Mr instead of Dr) who refused to move one inch on any change as it impacted on their private medical work. So the hospital carried on as it always has done.

So apart from outsourcing cleaning duties and buying drugs from another source there's little that can be done in the NHS. The NHS are held to ransom due to their own bureaucracy from the provision of toilet rolls upwards.

1 hour ago, retep said:

Seems to be getting a boost,

"The Prime Minister intends to put the health service at the heart of the Government's legislative programme alongside moves to finally force through EU withdrawal by the end of January. 

The Government will enshrine in law a commitment on NHS funding, with an extra £33.9 billion per year provided by 2023/24, Mr Johnson said.

The Queen's Speech will also include proposed legislation to abolish hospital car parking charges for 'those in greatest need' - likely to include disabled people, parents of sick children staying overnight, and staff working night shifts.

The NHS Funding Bill is intended to be the first piece of domestic legislation put on the statute book after the proposed passing of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, which the PM says will lead to the UK quitting the EU on January 31. "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7809287/Queen-leaves-Parliament-kick-Boris-Johnsons-new-era.html

What this duplicitous government say they'll do and what they actually do are two separate things.

Saying they are going to do a and b is a perfect cover for doing x, y, and z.

Edited by Anna B

If you want to know about bureaucracy in the NHS, go into the bathroom in a hospital and note the signs on the wall. Look for the one that says 'Please Wash Your Hands' and you'll spot a trust logo and possibly a document reference and version number on it. It will likely even have a review date on it.

Then next time you are at the GP, go to the bathroom and note the same sign. It will have a different logo on it and will certainly have a different document reference on it.

Think about the process behind this. Someone in each trust, GP surgery or other location has a document control system localised to the site and in it there is a document that likely went through an approval process, is logged, autited, backed up and reviewed every year - all for the magic words Please Wash Your Hands

There is a lot of cost in this when you factor in how many toilets are up and down the country in NHS buildings. There is no value in this. None at all. You could make this document in seconds without all the logos and faff, print out 50 copies on plain white, laminate them and stick them to the wall. No review ever needed as common sense suggests the message is never going to change. There is nothing in law or any health and safety or quality standard that says the sign in the loo needs a logo or a document reference.

I don't recall ever going to a private business - and I've been to a lot in my job, even in the super litigious USA - and seen such an example of small minded bureaucratic nonsense. Consider that this is just for a sign in the loo.  It's this sort of rubbish which is why the NHS is an expensive dinosaur, not the work of the nursing staff who are actually providing the service.

The fact is that the NHS has spent more of its existence under Conservative rule than under Labour & it's still around. 

Any Party that tries to tinker or  remove its remit of 'free' health care, (not really free is it), from cradle to grave, would be committing political suicide as shown with the Labour manifesto on the utilities, it could be taken back under government control with a sympathetic government. 

Whilst I'm not in favour of an insurance based system, the NHS as it is needs to go. 

It is rife with corruption from the top levels who are always crying that it's underfunded, whilst paying themselves hundreds of  thousands in salary & countless thousands in bonuses, despite not achieving anything. 

These bosses also refuse to look at alternative suppliers for anything. 

Recently the NHS have been begging patients to supply their own paracetamol/ibuprofen meds because they're cheaper at retailer outlets than the NHS is paying. The NHS pays around 1600% for the same paracetamol you or I do at Tescos. 

One trust not too far from Sheffield spent 2.7 million kitting out a research facility only to dump everything 18mths later and starting another 2.7 million build a few hundred yards away 18 months later because the building owners wanted to increase lease costs (discounted below inflation & reasonable) 

NONE of the equipment, which was perfectly serviceable was taken to the new facility. It was binned. 

I stalwartly state that the NHS bosses are feeding us lies when they state it's underfunded, at least to the level they claim. Most of the shortfall is due to it's archaic spending methods, refusing to change suplliers. 

I will even go as far as to make the allegation that the reason why bosses won't switch suplliers and pay these extortionate prices is that they have interests in the supplying companies and get paid massive dividends from them. 

I genuinely have no idea what this tired cliche 'privatising the NHS' means.  It's trotted out by the usual suspects, but noone ever goes into any detail.

Every single drug or pill that you receive comes from the private sector, or do you think the government has moved into the pharma sector in recent years.  Successive governments have successfully negotiated prices with (predominantly) US manufacturers to keep prices down, so much so that US drug prices are much higher as a result.