Is Our NHS in Safe Hands?

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

Thanks for the heads up on this Anna, I'm watching it now.

Let us know what you think. 

What a pity people weren't allowed to see it before the election. In terms of public information it was definately 'need to know'

On 16/12/2019 at 23:53, Anna B said:

10.45pm ITV tomorrow (Tuesday 17th December.)

'The Dirty War on the NHS'

'Documantary examining plans to sell off the National Health Service in favour of an insurance-based healthcare  system, which in the US, denies treatment to millions of people.'

Should make interesting viewing. Let's see if the NHS is safe with Boris, or if what Jeremy Corbyn suspected was correct.

Do you mean, "if what Jerermy Corbyn deliberately misrepresented was correct?"  

My view is that the NHS is not safe with any political party.  It is falling apart at the seams, which is no surprise really given the impossible nature of making it work in the way that it was originally intended.

It needs major investment, but it also needs major re-structure, and private healthcare (however unpalatable that may sound) is an essential part of making the whole thing work.  

Guest makapaka
28 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

My view is that the NHS is not safe with any political party.  It is falling apart at the seams, which is no surprise really given the impossible nature of making it work in the way that it was originally intended.

It needs major investment, but it also needs major re-structure, and private healthcare (however unpalatable that may sound) is an essential part of making the whole thing work.  

Could you clarify why it is impossible to work without privatisation I can’t see why that would be the case?

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

It is falling apart at the seams, which is no surprise really given the impossible nature of making it work in the way that it was originally intended.

Or is it just being misused?

Almost a quarter of ambulance calls are not emergencies - with one man calling 999 with a hangover

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/18046637.almost-quarter-ambulance-calls-not-emergencies---one-man-calling-999-hangover/

In the North west its a third.

A&E attendances are just as bad, and will no doubt be even worse tomorrow with "Mad Friday" drunken antics.

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

Let us know what you think. 

What a pity people weren't allowed to see it before the election. In terms of public information it was definately 'need to know'

I'm 2/3rd through it. It is good.

Could I strongly suggest that you start off a new thread purely on the documentary?

I think there is a LOT to discuss about it, and, if that is done in this thread I suspect that when the usual suspects show up and do their usual tactic of not engaging with the actual points, but instead attacking the posters and stirring things up to the point where mods have to declare it is 'off-topic' in this thread.

It's big, and deserves a thread of it's own.

17 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Or is it just being misused?

Almost a quarter of ambulance calls are not emergencies - with one man calling 999 with a hangover

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/18046637.almost-quarter-ambulance-calls-not-emergencies---one-man-calling-999-hangover/

In the North west its a third.

A&E attendances are just as bad, and will no doubt be even worse tomorrow with "Mad Friday" drunken antics.

That is a part of it, but minor compared to the amounts of cash being leeched off by private corporations, via things like the PFI contracts

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/12/nhs-hospital-trusts-to-pay-out-further-55bn-under-pfi-scheme

2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

You didn't bother to watch it then. . . . 

Having watched the TV documentary 'The Dirty War on the NHS' (ITV, Tuesday 17th December,) I would say our NHS has never been in more peril.

'Documentary examining plans to sell off the National Health Service in favour of an insurance-based healthcare system, which in the US denies treatment to millions of people.'

It's already secretly underway. Thanks to 40 years of covert machinations (starting with Thatcher) by the Conservatives / Neoliberals,  we are in very real danger of going over to an American type system of privatisation. The NHS will survive in name only, if at all, and provide only a very third class rudimentary service.  

This is a very important film. I urge everyone to watch it. (on catch up etc.) The more people who realise what's happening, the more chance we have of saving the NHS. 

Edited by Anna B

Bit late now, the time to address this issue was last week at the ballot box.  Clearly the country has gone blue, whatever happens, happens.

I just hope those that voted Tory don't find themselves in need a system that isn't available anymore, they got what they voted for afterall.

Seems to be getting a boost,

"The Prime Minister intends to put the health service at the heart of the Government's legislative programme alongside moves to finally force through EU withdrawal by the end of January. 

The Government will enshrine in law a commitment on NHS funding, with an extra £33.9 billion per year provided by 2023/24, Mr Johnson said.

The Queen's Speech will also include proposed legislation to abolish hospital car parking charges for 'those in greatest need' - likely to include disabled people, parents of sick children staying overnight, and staff working night shifts.

The NHS Funding Bill is intended to be the first piece of domestic legislation put on the statute book after the proposed passing of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, which the PM says will lead to the UK quitting the EU on January 31. "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7809287/Queen-leaves-Parliament-kick-Boris-Johnsons-new-era.html

4 minutes ago, geared said:

Bit late now, the time to address this issue was last week at the ballot box.  Clearly the country has gone blue, whatever happens, happens.

I just hope those that voted Tory don't find themselves in need a system that isn't available anymore, they got what they voted for afterall.

Don't worry!

We'll have lots more nursing staff to look after you.

After all, we're going to have 50,000 more nurses.

"It really couldn't be clearer", I keep hearing.

You start with 5 apples, and then you add another 2.

Now you might think that that adds up to 7, but you're wrong  - one of those 5 apples isn't going to be eaten, so that's one more.

Do you see now?!