Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

Just to add to the Remainer scare stories, the good old BBC never miss a chance to do down the Brexit campaign. 5 live this afternoon, presenter tells us, " blah blah blah to stop the schools, hospitals and the roads from closing" if we Brexit. What a load of manure, the BBC should be ashamed  to peddle such drivel. We are been urinated on and the good old "impartial BEEB - not" are telling us it's raining. Time to withdraw the licence fees and let the BBC stand or fall on its own merits. It is blatantly not impartial in any way.

Angel1

49 minutes ago, woodview said:

Same question for you. In knowledge of those facts, what stockpile have you got, to protect your family against the impending empty shops?

I’d say around 30 days worth of tinned and dry food, UHT milk and other essentials. I always keep a decent stock of stuff anyways and tend to bulk buy. 

24 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Yesterday Labour MP, Wes Streeting accused the Prime Minister of  raising the physical  threat towards MP last night with her speech to the nation.

Today Brighton MP was attacked in his constituency https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17518776.lloyd-russell-moyle-attacked-in-brighton-over-brexit/

Anna Soubry has been advised not to go home due to death threats which are credible

Well done Theresa - all to appease the ERG

I think there’s going to be a strong case for investigating the financial affairs of the Brexit leaders.

Something is driving them forward, and it isn’t the good of the U.K.

7 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Just to add to the Remainer scare stories, the good old BBC never miss a chance to do down the Brexit campaign. 5 live this afternoon, presenter tells us, " blah blah blah to stop the schools, hospitals and the roads from closing" if we Brexit. What a load of manure, the BBC should be ashamed  to peddle such drivel. We are been urinated on and the good old "impartial BEEB - not" are telling us it's raining. Time to withdraw the licence fees and let the BBC stand or fall on its own merits. It is blatantly not impartial in any way.

Angel1

I think it's Channel 4 more than anyone whose doing the investigating into the Brexit campaign, with Banks and Farage's  dodgy links to Cambridge Analytica and Putin.

Good for CH 4 news.

28 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

....I think the most likely thing in the limited time remaining is that Article 50 is revoked by a Statutory Instrument.

It cant be done that way as this government still retains prerogative powers over A50 despite parliament passing it, so its all still in their court. To revoke it by a statutory instrument of parliament requires this government to ask for Royal Consent (yes consent) and that can only be approved by a minister of this government and cannot be done by parliament.

8 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

It is blatantly not impartial in any way.

We've known that since the days of Lord Reith.

The solution is not to privatise it but to pressure the board of governers to ensure that it becomes more impartial.

The implications of this article, if true, may spice things up a bit: No Deal Brexit may be unlawful

Leaving the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019 is not the “legal default”, as has been repeatedly, but wrongly, asserted. It would, in fact, be in violation of the supreme law at both the domestic and supranational level, namely the UK constitution and EU Treaties (or more broadly, the General Principles of Community Law which includes ECJ jurisprudence alongside the Treaties). As such, without an Act of Parliament authorising Brexit in whatever form, the legal default is that the Article 50 notice issued will lapse, if not unilaterally revoked.

May has repeatedly tried to bypass the sovereignty of parliament and, after last night's speech, they'll be in no mood to put up with any nonsense from her any more.

1 minute ago, altus said:

May has repeatedly tried to bypass the sovereignty of parliament and, after last night's speech, they'll be in no mood to put up with any nonsense from her any more.

May does not need to bypass parliamentary sovereignty as parliament have passed on to her government prerogative powers to deal with A50 by passing the A50 legislation into domestic law. She knows that and it why she is keeping up her stance that it leave with or without a deal.

47 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I don't need to. It's not going to happen.

When the TUC and CBI put out joint statements, we really are at crisis point and I think the most likely thing in the limited time remaining is that Article 50 is revoked by a Statutory Instrument.

The whining from Leave voters will be drowned out by the clamour from the majority of the population to do something and do it quickly.

The French president has said at todays EU summit that if May`s deal is backheeled again next week, then its a No Deal exit. 

22 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

I’d say around 30 days worth of tinned and dry food, UHT milk and other essentials. I always keep a decent stock of stuff anyways and tend to bulk buy. 

I think there’s going to be a strong case for investigating the financial affairs of the Brexit leaders.

Something is driving them forward, and it isn’t the good of the U.K.

Their hatred of the EU , the same as millions who voted leave. 

17 minutes ago, apelike said:

To revoke it by a statutory instrument of parliament requires this government to ask for Royal Consent (yes consent) and that can only be approved by a minister of this government and cannot be done by parliament.

And that is going to be difficult, how?

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

May does not need to bypass parliamentary sovereignty as parliament have passed on to her government prerogative powers to deal with A50 by passing the A50 legislation into domestic law. She knows that and it why she is keeping up her stance that it leave with or without a deal.

You didn't read the article did you. It argues that the prerogative powers passed to the government aren't sufficient.

11 hours ago, Car Boot said:

So the establishment offers the people a vote.

The establishment doesn't like what the people have to say, so it then scraps the result.

What sort of message does that send to the people about ever bothering to vote again?

Democracy is about being able to change your mind.

What sort of message is it if a totalitarian state is imposed where you cannot change your mind?

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

And that is going to be difficult, how?

Because as far as I can make out asking for Royal Consent to override the governments prerogative powers on A50 can only be done by this government and cannot be forced on it by parliament.