Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

3 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

What’s the endgame? Sooner or later people will realise. Extremist politics always fails

It does eventually. But here, and in the states there are two - let’s call them unconventional- leaders who are in power with willing right wing acolytes and media at their disposal. Both countries weren’t in deep recession or at war - situations which are normally required for extremism to thrive. Trump and brexit have been carefully manufactured (and I don’t really know by whom) and they won’t go away quietly.

Trump will win again and if it’s managed well enough by Johnson’s friends in the media he might just sneak in at the next election. 

14 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It does eventually. But here, and in the states there are two - let’s call them unconventional- leaders who are in power with willing right wing acolytes and media at their disposal. Both countries weren’t in deep recession or at war - situations which are normally required for extremism to thrive. Trump and brexit have been carefully manufactured (and I don’t really know by whom) and they won’t go away quietly.

Trump will win again and if it’s managed well enough by Johnson’s friends in the media he might just sneak in at the next election. 

The conditions were certainly there in the U.K.: a financial crash and years of austerity

13 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

What’s the endgame? Sooner or later people will realise. Extremist politics always fails

Yes they are easy to influence but they are also quick to blame. The key is directing the blame at the people who deserve it

I think the only way the wind can be taken out of the sails of the maniacs in governement and Parliament, and their deluded followers, is for them all to have a hard Brexit with the WA deal, or the hardest of Brexits with no deal (either/or is fine). Once they stand in the ruins, they will know they were wrong. 

Because otherwise, should they feel 'cheated' out of it, we'll never hear the end of this excrement.

This doesn't mean that those of right mind should bow down to Brexiters, or give over to them, but I don't believe that there is enough determined, concerted resistance to avoid what looks inevitable now, never mind within a useful timescale before Halloween.

People are just worn down and fed up with it, they'll take anything to make it 'end' (of course, we all know that this will only be the beginning: there's an FTA to negotiate, and once the UK is a 3rd party country,  it'll take years). And that goes for the EU27 just as much as for the UK (though it's far less in headlines, and far less frequent in news here).

A referendum at this stage is a non runner I think, not before a GE anyway. A GE might be the only alternative to a crashout Brexit.

It is literally unbelievable how the UK government are behaving right now, they are every bit as bad as Trump, and in some ways worse. Trump is a bit 'off', but people like Gove are clever. Sneaky and deceitful, but clever. 

The UK has gone full on  withthe Cummings method now: manipulating people with populist 'us against them', nationalist rhetoric. It was very disturbing to see when Johnson, Raab, Javid and Gove all kept repeating the new mantra: 'the undemocratic backstop'. They will keep repeating it untill it is the first thing anyone (particularly Brexiteers) think when they hear the word 'backstop' (undemocratic). It's Goebbels-level propaganda techniques. 

Gove also trying to frame the UK bluff, as the EU refusing to negotiate, is utterly contemptible, but that seems to be official UK policy now: play the biggest game of chicken there ever was, look how big our massive British balls are.

Well, they are risking the livelihoods and welfare of millions of UK and EU citizens, and for what? Nonsense. Very few adults in the room, and no saving them from themselves.

The longer this goes on, and the worse the rhetoric gets, the less we EU27 actually want to save Brits from themselves. As things stand, I'd expect a very cutting "I told you so" from Macron to his fellow EU26 heads of state, when he categorically refuses another extension. 

Just go.

Edited by L00b

10 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

The Queen abdicating!!!

Come on dude, you’ve been done up like a kipper swallowing that nonsense

Seriously

So come on what's her alternative if she doesn't keep her oath?

4 minutes ago, retep said:

LOL, the full on 110% project fear, from an advisory referendum to the destruction of the monarchy and crown in 2 easy steps LOL

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Remainers-so-convinced-that-staying-in-the-European-Union-is-what-is-best-for-the-UK/answer/Barry-McGuinness-1?ch=1&share=a9239dc8&srid=Xgni&fbclid=IwAR3q8mAcl9Xn6GA9wfAyOcYM6n5UeP8N1I0dF28dkgSo-rlP-xOE6ttjpvA

• Brexit is essentially a coup pulled off at the behest of tax-dodging corporations and misanthropic investors.
  • Their only concern for ‘taking back control’ is to rid their own businesses of EU tax laws, financial regulations and employee rights.
  • They have been systematically misleading the British public to hate the EU through a constant supply of anti-EU propaganda and lies.
  • They are sponsoring their friends and collaborators in the Conservative Party to bring about a no-deal Brexit.
  • They are on course to instigate social and economic changes that will turn the UK (or what’s left of it) into an enormous cash cow for their own self-interest.
  • They are abusing democracy to create a plutocracy.

Higher food prices incomming:

Food industry seeks no-deal competition waiver

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49258852

Fishermen, farmers, automotive, now the food sector... I wonder who'll be next! :loopy:

Edited by Magilla

20 minutes ago, Magilla said:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Remainers-so-convinced-that-staying-in-the-European-Union-is-what-is-best-for-the-UK/answer/Barry-McGuinness-1?ch=1&share=a9239dc8&srid=Xgni&fbclid=IwAR3q8mAcl9Xn6GA9wfAyOcYM6n5UeP8N1I0dF28dkgSo-rlP-xOE6ttjpvA

• Brexit is essentially a coup pulled off at the behest of tax-dodging corporations and misanthropic investors.
  • Their only concern for ‘taking back control’ is to rid their own businesses of EU tax laws, financial regulations and employee rights.
  • They have been systematically misleading the British public to hate the EU through a constant supply of anti-EU propaganda and lies.
  • They are sponsoring their friends and collaborators in the Conservative Party to bring about a no-deal Brexit.
  • They are on course to instigate social and economic changes that will turn the UK (or what’s left of it) into an enormous cash cow for their own self-interest.
  • They are abusing democracy to create a plutocracy.

indeed, and STILL the thickies at the bottom who are obsessed with the EU being "bad" cant see they are being used, and will be abused and left out to rot while the rich get richer.

1 hour ago, retep said:

You really believe that stuff don’t you. Good lord

1 hour ago, retep said:

In a Parliamentary monarchy, I really don't see why you should hold your monarch to different, higher standards, than your elected representatives, collectively depositors of the realm's sovereignty, nor than your top level of government, composed of a subset of such elected representatives.

What is sauce for Johnson, Gove, Sajid, Pritty, Francois, Rees-Mogg, Hoey, Corbyn & Co, is sauce for Lizzie: no alternative required whatsoever :lol:

Edited by L00b

Radio 4 today introduced the possibility that there will be food rationing after no deal.

20 minutes ago, Magilla said:

I wonder who'll be next! :loopy:

I don't know about 'next', but leaving the EU is going be a massive kick in the nuts to science, research, and development.