The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Here’s a load of amendments that have been suggested, some doubling up what somebody else has offered, some cancelling others out. None of which, if I’ve read it right, the EU have to accept.

Possible amendments to PM's Brexit deal http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46507010

Two and bit months to go. Shambolic.

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It was only a quick discussion at work. Colleagues were talking about the people they knew who had voted to leave, and immigration was the key reason cited as a reason for leaving. 

I think the reason that some colleagues felt it was risky is because the UK has been a member for nearly 50 years, and taking a leap into the unknown, when we didn't even know what was to be negotiated felt risky.

Fair do's. Sorry I edited the post earlier. As above, I'm not sure risk was a major part for anyone I know who voted remain, I can see it would be for some, but I don't think it's a primary reason for most.

17 minutes ago, apelike said:

The only bit that is true is that it was a small majority as the rest he cant back up and is just another remainer sound bite.

To be fair if you go on YouTube there are plenty of calls made to radio shows that show evidence of people's lack of knowledge, and this is 2 years after the vote has taken place, where there has been a great deal more light shone on the subject. 

By the way - I don't place as a font of all knowledge on European affairs and how leaving will affect the economy.

Edited by Mister M

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It was only a quick discussion at work. Colleagues were talking about the people they knew who had voted to leave, and immigration was the key reason cited as a reason for leaving. 

I think the reason that some colleagues felt it was risky is because the UK has been a member for nearly 50 years, and taking a leap into the unknown, when we didn't even know what was to be negotiated felt risky.

You're not understanding. If their reasons don't match with Magillas they are wrong and should be ignored.

1 minute ago, woodview said:

You're not understanding. If their reasons don't match with Magillas they are wrong and should be ignored.

LOL, you just can't help yourself can you :hihi:

Hell, if you didn't have to constantly make stuff up, would you have anything to say at all? :loopy:

16 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

We don't need a second referendum, just a government with the stones to put the interests of the country first!

But in a democracy shouldn't it be in the interest of the people first and country second?  I think that is exactly why a referendum was held in the first place in order to ask the people what they wanted and to finally get it over with as an EU referendum of sorts has been promised in the past by all main political parties.

13 minutes ago, woodview said:

Following the choice of the minority is irrelevant? You have a different view of the world to most people, luckily.

Following the choice of the minority is undemocratic.

It is what weak and lightweight politicians do, who just respond to those who shout the loudest rather than acting in the interests of the majority and the country as a whole.

4 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Somehow I just do not see Jeremy as the tough negotiator that is required.

I really do not get that a General Election does anything to advance Brexit ,although there are many other issues that do need addressing whoever might win.

These will continue to be secondary until some deal is sorted,and this seems  as distant as ever.

Go for a People’s Vote Jeremy and stop pretending that you have a new improved deal that will have a majority backing or is agreed by the EU 27.

Listen to saint jezza though and it’s all down to May not asking for the right things (whatever they are) and he’d would have got a far better deal. I’m not sure what he’s basing that on.

But let’s say in the strange world we live in, that there is a general election, jezza strolls into number 10 with a fat majority and is fully in control of all brexit negotiations, the the EU have suddenly decided to extend. Is that a price brexiteers are prepared to pay I wonder?

1 minute ago, apelike said:

But in a democracy shouldn't it be in the interest of the people first and country second?  I think that is exactly why a referendum was held in the first place in order to ask the people what they wanted and to finally get it over with as an EU referendum of sorts has been promised in the past by all main political parties.

I would have hoped that broadly, in most cases at least, the interests of the people and the country were the same....

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

To be fair if you go on YouTube there are plenty of calls made to radio shows that show evidence of people's lack of knowledge, and this is 2 years after the vote has taken place, where there has been a great deal more light shone on the subject. 

But that's the usual drivel on YouTube and no doubt it also gets plenty of views. But I dont think many who voted leave voted expecting any deal and despite that new light I still dont think it alters anything.

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

By the way - I don't place as a font of all knowledge on European affairs and how leaving will affect the economy.

I understand that and am not having a go at you but at politicians.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Listen to saint jezza though and it’s all down to May not asking for the right things (whatever they are) and he’d would have got a far better deal. I’m not sure what he’s basing that on.

Growing unicorns on his allotment?

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

But in a democracy shouldn't it be in the interest of the people first and country second? 

They are the same thing but in this ridiculous situation, the government is equating the interest of the country with the interest of a minority of the people who voted to leave the EU which is why the thing is turning out to be such a disaster.