Ron Springett or Gordon Banks

Who was really the best at the time?

Ron Springett or Gordon Banks  by those that watch football before 66 world cup.

Springett was. Far superior keeper at the time.

At least half of Sheffield will say Banks the others will tell what they actually think.

I would always say Ron Springett, he never let England down but he was blamed when he let in 5 when they played France even though they complained about the floodlights before the game.

There were so many excellent England goalkeepers to choose at the time.

The quality was so high amongst them, that it was often other skills that made the choice.

Far fewer friendlies made evaluating styles and set up in defence difficult.

There were no substitutes which made it difficult to compare them.

A defensive player would not want a succession of changing goalkeepers.

Some goalkeepers were notoriously difficult individuals or were just not  'team players'.

Banks was not the best at all the skills and personality traits needed by a goalkeeper, but he was at most.

I vote for my neighbor Jumbo Capewell!  Sheff Wedneday. 1953/54.

I dated his niece, but was a Unitedite!

Showed up at his house with a red and white scarf!  Lol

Without doubt, Ron Springett is the best goalkeeper I ever saw.

I saw him around 3 or 4 times a month and the geezer was an incredible 'keeper.

I saw Banks a good few times for Leicester and Stoke.

When they played against each other the comparison was always there and I cannot remember Banks being the better 'keeper on the day.

Banks was a tremendous 'keeper, but Ron was better.

R.I.P both.

Sadly missed. 

Can't separate them.  Both were great and as good as each other. Its a priviledge to have watched them both.

6 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

There were so many excellent England goalkeepers to choose at the time.

The quality was so high amongst them, that it was often other skills that made the choice.

Far fewer friendlies made evaluating styles and set up in defence difficult.

There were no substitutes which made it difficult to compare them.

A defensive player would not want a succession of changing goalkeepers.

Some goalkeepers were notoriously difficult individuals or were just not  'team players'.

Banks was not the best at all the skills and personality traits needed by a goalkeeper, but he was at most.

Yes indeed, there were many great goalkeepers at the time and both Sheffield clubs had two of the best in Springett and Hodgkinson. Funny how a Sheffield born keeper rose above both and made the England job his own. Peter Bonetti was also a favourite of mine, although I hated who he played for, and still do.Lol.

As a footnote, I believe Alan Hodgkinson was and still is the youngest goalkeeper to be capped for the full England team.

Edited by Ontarian1981

9 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yes indeed, there were many great goalkeepers at the time and both Sheffield clubs had two of the best in Springett and Hodgkinson. Funny how a Sheffield born keeper rose above both and made the England job his own. Peter Bonetti was also a favourite of mine, although I hated who he played for, and still do.Lol.

As a footnote, I believe Alan Hodgkinson was and still is the youngest goalkeeper to be capped for the full England team.

Unfortunately for Hodgy on his England debut (v Scotland), the first time he touched the ball in the game was to pick it out of the net. Great goalie tho' and so is his book.

6 hours ago, trastrick said:

I vote for my neighbor Jumbo Capewell!  Sheff Wedneday. 1953/54.

I dated his niece, but was a Unitedite!

Showed up at his house with a red and white scarf!  Lol

I think he turned out for the Midhill club on occasions , I remember him catching the bus on East Bank road.

47 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

I think he turned out for the Midhill club on occasions , I remember him catching the bus on East Bank road.

Quite a save that must have been, catching a bus.😉

11 hours ago, Billam said:

I would always say Ron Springett, he never let England down but he was blamed when he let in 5 when they played France even though they complained about the floodlights before the game.

Yes after that 5-2 debacle in Paris, Ramsey-his first game as manager- had the hump on with a few players who never wore an England shirt again : Ron Henry, Brian Labone, Bobby Tambling and John Connelly ( although he did play once more) among them. Ronnie played only a few times after but was a squad player till 1966..

Edited by St Petre
add