By-elections

This long discussion just goes to show that perhaps our mechanism for selecting a government is outdated and in need of reform.

For some bizarre reason people voted against a simple amendment of alternative vote though several years ago, and presumably anything more radical would also be disliked.

As with the MP in jail and the silly seven, does anyone really think they will stand up and say, right we will stand in a by-election, bring it on. Better to take the remaining time before the next GE or when one is called, and pocket the brass.

As for my Particular MP, I believe she will be toast come the next GE as  LEAVE won the Referendum in Stocksbridge & Penistone by 60.65% to 39.35% , which was clearly ignored by our Remain MP.

Then on telly Sunday morning the our MP said her constituents had changed their mind and it was now 60% to 40% to Remain. Where these figures come from I can only suggest they must have been supplied by that Doyenne of the Abacus  Mz Diane Abbott.

Angel1.

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

This long discussion just goes to show that perhaps our mechanism for selecting a government is outdated and in need of reform.

For some bizarre reason people voted against a simple amendment of alternative vote though several years ago, and presumably anything more radical would also be disliked.

Lots of people voted against it because it was not their preferred new voting scheme though, not because they did not want a change (many on this forum made this argument at the time). Problem is politicians used the result to say we had a vote, and that everyone decided what we have is best of all...

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I did believe that an MP changing party should not mean another election; but having thought it through I think a change of party does warrant another election, despite the cost. Another election should not be forced if one is due within 18 months.

Making the election rules force that may be difficult, I guess they would not resign from the party.

Changing party at the local level should not warrant another election.

7 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Very much true.

I dont think it was a bizarre reason. I'm fairly certain that Cameron knew that it would be rejected as it is a bit more complicated for voters to understand than PR, which should have been the choice. It was probably chosen as well so as to help curb the rise in UKIP or other minority parties gaining seats. Most political parties have wanted reform when in opposition and had proposed PR not AV. The LibDems under Clegg also wanted PR but for some strange reason Clegg agreed to having a referendum for the AV system instead when in a coalition.

Edited by apelike

7 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Given the shenanighans of the past three years, I'd be fascinated to see how people would vote now on a change to the voting system.

19 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Given the shenanighans of the past three years, I'd be fascinated to see how people would vote now on a change to the voting system.

They'd vote in really, really small numbers. SF is not a mirror to the world and Id suggest the majority have had enough of politics and just want it done better, not spending hours examing the pros and cons of umpteen different sorts of PR, AV etc etc.

I know we vote for the person named in elections but that person is usually aligned to a party and will normally follow the party line. I've always felt if a politician leaves a party they should stand in a By-Election even if it was their name on the ballot paper not the party itself.

4 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

I know we vote for the person named in elections but that person is usually aligned to a party and will normally follow the party line. I've always felt if a politician leaves a party they should stand in a By-Election even if it was their name on the ballot paper not the party itself.

I guess if they were compelled to have a by-election straight away, our new gang of 11 would be harder to form.

It does look like a sizable small party could be formed, lets hope so.

It may well get a thread of its own.

Edited by El Cid

14 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I guess if they were compelled to have a by-election straight away, our now gang of 11 would be harder to form.

It does look like a sizable small party could be formed, lets hope so.

They can't be compelled to resign their seats because it's them who were elected but I believe morally they should.

29 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It does look like a sizable small party could be formed, lets hope so.

How can you have a party with Conservatives and Labour supporters in it? It would be impossible to make a manifesto as UKIP found out when they tried to stand in Parliamentary elections.

20 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

How can you have a party with Conservatives and Labour supporters in it? It would be impossible to make a manifesto as UKIP found out when they tried to stand in Parliamentary elections.

The left of the Tory party and the right of the Labour party have more in common than they do with the extremes of either party.