The rain we are having at the moment in Sheffield

Olive Grove at bottom of East Bank Rd impassable. Flooded. No warnings. Chaos!

East Bank Road still closed at 7am, on one lane coming into town, this morning, not sure if that is down to flooding or roadworks. My bus was diverted, after leaving Daresbury Road, around Manor Top and down City Road. Last night it looked like the rain was washing away some of the road surface, that had been removed, presumably for re-tarmacing :huh:

Edited by Glennis

Yesterday we only got 62mm daily rainfall, a lot, but not as much as the 2007 floods. It did have a similar feel to it but was nowhere near as bad.

Maybe it feels worse cause we had so little rain this summer.

Yesterday we only got 62mm daily rainfall, a lot, but not as much as the 2007 floods. It did have a similar feel to it but was nowhere near as bad.

To put it in perspective if we had 13-14 days of 62mm of rain then it would be all the rain we normally get in one year.

Yesterday We basically had nearly one month worth of rain

According to the records at Sheffield weather we just broke the record (since 2003) for daily rainfall

http://www.sheffieldweather.net/cumulus/record.htm

In 2007, the week before the flood, we had a lot of heavy rain, the ground was truely soaked

To put it in perspective if we had 13-14 days of 62mm of rain then it would be all the rain we normally get in one year.

Yesterday We basically had nearly one month worth of rain

According to the records at Sheffield weather we just broke the record (since 2003) for daily rainfall

http://www.sheffieldweather.net/cumulus/record.htm

To put it in perspective we dont live in some iffy fantasy world.

Yesterday didnt feel that bad, it rained a lot but at no time did it come close to the intense rains we seen in 2007.

Must admit that looking at the sky yesterday it had a similar atmosphere to june 2007 but looking down at the road yesterday there was less surface wetness than I have seen previously at other occasions in sheffield.

glad i live on top of a hill at lowedges,but with all the millions spent in sheffield on fllod prevention we should be okay.

Saw a video of the Upwell Street bridge flooded feet deep again. Why is it so difficult to fix that?

To put it in perspective we dont live in some iffy fantasy world.

Yesterday didnt feel that bad, it rained a lot but at no time did it come close to the intense rains we seen in 2007.

Must admit that looking at the sky yesterday it had a similar atmosphere to june 2007 but looking down at the road yesterday there was less surface wetness than I have seen previously at other occasions in sheffield.

Keep your hair on.

I’m just providing some facts

Where were the cyclists and canoeists when the floods were shown on Look North, last night:-)

Tree came down in Hillsborough Park.

Top end half way between Middlewood Road entrance and the walled garden.

Saw a video of the Upwell Street bridge flooded feet deep again. Why is it so difficult to fix that?

Presumably because it’s a big dip in the road and close to the water table.

I would think that a private business who pumped water away from a flooded road would be allowed to charge drivers to pass