Alex Jones, attack on all our liberty?

Excellent news.

Personally I cant stand the man. I used to think he was ok and I accept he has been right about some things but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Banning him though is a big mistake.

Pastor Martin Niemöller hit the nail on the head.........

He seemed a bit sensationalist to me, not so much objectively considering all angles and a genuine desire to get to the truth of matters. No, probably much more profertable to whip people up in a storm of controversy.

Banning him, I'm not sure was a good idea, also as it was a concerted thing, with several social media platforms banning him at the same time; obv, it's not individual platforms banning him because he breached their t&c's. All seems a bit sinister.

In a "who's the most sinister" match against twitter, fb etc - Alex Jones wins hands down. Either he's lost the plot, or he's cynically exploiting the terminally credulous.

Whichever it is, it's not good.

I hope he gets to defend his Sandygate story in court. That would be just.

I hope he gets to defend his Sandygate story in court. That would be just.

Well a court in Texas has already given two of the parents leave to sue Jones for damages.

I hope that they bankrupt him!

he crossed the line when he starting ranting, and calling almost for armed revolution, again hes yet another horrible human being.

I used to listen to his show from time to time around ten years ago. At the time he had some interesting guests who brought subjects up that were interesting. He had a regular team of varied contributors. I liked the idea that you "could" and maybe "should" look at all news stories to consider whether there was some other agenda. And over the years there has been some. Especially with corruption of government officials and the like.

Anyhow, I'm guessing that he's had some kind of mental breakdown as he sounds utterly unhinged nowadays. Most of the staff that used to work for him have left and now work for other channels and criticise him. He's had a messy divorce where he claimed his radio persona is all "an act". From recent pictures of him his weight seems to have ballooned.

He now comes across as deeply unpleasant and sounds like he is suffering under a lot of pressure.

Personally I cant stand the man. I used to think he was ok and I accept he has been right about some things but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Banning him though is a big mistake.

I think it's absolutely the right outcome. What's your view on the Sandy Hook parents suing him?

Your Niemoller comment shows a massively deep lack of understanding on your part.

I'm pretty sure a scumbag like Alex Jones grossly insulting the grieving parents of murdered children and using the Internet to foment hatred wasn't who he had in mind when he wrote those words.

In August, reported the New York Times, Jones was seeking $100,000 dollars court costs from the Pozner family, whose son Noah was murdered at Sandy Hook. The family have been forced to move seven times in fives years, by Jones's followers relentless harassment and death threats.

To quote from the piece directly - ''Alex Jones is seeking money from the parents of a murdered child because of a series of lies that have cruelly compounded the family’s suffering since the initial tragedy—lies that Jones, himself, has spread.''

If there was a law that covered it, I'd love to see him serve time for it*. As things stand I think social media Companies have every right to ban people who promote hate.

* Seeing him bankrupt would be a halfway decent outcome though.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/08/the-lasting-trauma-of-alex-joness-lies/566573/

Edited by Halibut

* Seeing him bankrupt would be a halfway decent outcome though.

I don't think that bankruptcy is that much of a punishment to a wealthy American. Even the current president has been bankrupt more than once apparently.

A famous person with a million loyal followers like Alex Jones could be up and back on his feet in no time with another one of his 24 hour appeal campaigns.

There is good evidence that Jones is supported so some extent by President Trump, which is why he defends Trump 100% on his broadcasts. He's been on Info Wars several times and I suspect if Trump lives for many years after leaving office he may go on Info Wars again.

The problem is who determines fake news.

Anyway,I have listened to Alex Jones lots and at times he makes a lot of sense.

You can either have freedom of speech or you can't.

This is the biggest move by the establishment ever!

If this banning is upheld then a dangerous precedent is set.

What is next is a fair question.

We will soon be walking the streets scared to speak of anything controversial.

A prison without bars so to speak.

Folk already are afraid to speak their minds, this is why the far- right are now martyrs of free-speech movement.

---------- Post added 03-10-2018 at 14:45 ----------

Private businesses have never claimed to be a channel for free speech.

And free speech never meant speech free of consequences.

There is no 'upholding' nobody has any legal right to use those channels, they can ban whoever they like.

Yes they have, Twitter, Facebook and so on have all claimed to platforms for freedom of expression.

this is why the far- right are now martyrs of free-speech movement.

Is that written down in a book somewhere, or is it just you saying it? :D

We're living in 1984 on steroids. "The lefts idea of tolerance is intolerance, their idea of freedom is facism, their idea of free speech is silencing free speech, the left and the rights idea of the truth is lies. War is Peace....and so on..."

---------- Post added 03-10-2018 at 15:08 ----------

Free speech within the law is allowed and nobody is banning it. It’s you who needs to educate yourself on what the legal definition of free speech is and stop defining it as what you think free speech should be.

This is exactly the problem with UK law and so-called 'hate-speech' The motives of an expression don’t matter, if you’re being offensive just to be offensive, that is still your right. If you want your right to free-speech protecting, then you must defend others.

This is exactly the problem with UK law and so-called 'hate-speech' The motives of an expression don’t matter, if you’re being offensive just to be offensive, that is still your right.

It's not actually, it is against the law and quite rightly too.

With the total mess this country is in, are you seriously more concerned about your right to be able to use hate speech than anything else? :suspect:

You seriously need to grow up!