Why do buses have Timetables if they aren't going to stick to them?

Recent surgery on my arm meant I couldn't drive for a month or so and I had to rely on the 3 and 3A to get me from Nether Edge to town and back for a while. Shocking service. On several occasions 2-3 scheduled buses simply didn't turn up, and this was early evening. Never again.

Until these dimwits can develop a semi-functioning service I'm going to be selfish and remain part of the traffic problem of Sheffield.

Recent surgery on my arm meant I couldn't drive for a month or so and I had to rely on the 3 and 3A to get me from Nether Edge to town and back for a while. Shocking service. On several occasions 2-3 scheduled buses simply didn't turn up, and this was early evening. Never again.

Until these dimwits can develop a semi-functioning service I'm going to be selfish and remain part of the traffic problem of Sheffield.

INB4 the posts stating you're attitude is why they're late/missing ....

Guest busdriver1
Don't forget that Greater London has a population of over 8 million, so they can sustain a high quality public transport network.

Sustain? I think you mean maintain. Passenger numbers falling, revenue falling, costs rising. Does not sound sustainable to me.

My bus was early today and i missed it, I had to order a taxi to get to work and as i arrived at work the bus i should have caught was sat in the bus stop outside my work having a break.

Considering it took ten minutes for my taxi to arrive at my house, it was quite annoying to see the driver having a snooze as i arrived at work.

This has happened on a few occasions now.

This as been the First 1a buses times this week up to now,as i catch this bus at Newfield Green to my works place in Ecclesfield,as on the bus shelter it tells us the time the bus should arrive 5.10 am,late by 5 minutes Monday so just got to work at 6.00am,Tuesday waited till 5.20am but no bus in site,so walked up to East Bank Road to catch any bus to town,then the bus came and the bus driver told us the correct driver did not turn up,so was late to work,Wednesday came a 5.15am and the Driver drove faster as he knew he was late.Today bus on time,then get to Barnsley Road then the Driver got off the bus for a Smoke and a look at is phone,then got to Firth Park and he looked at is phone again,and got to work on time,this just shows Why they are so many people driving cars as there is no Trust in out Bus Services in South Yorkshire

Strange that whenever I'm waiting for 24 or 25 in town, there is always at least a couple of number 3 buses pull up, Load up and leave before my bus even arrives, as I see them that often I thought they must be a quite frequent route.

This as been the First 1a buses times this week up to now,as i catch this bus at Newfield Green to my works place in Ecclesfield,as on the bus shelter it tells us the time the bus should arrive 5.10 am,late by 5 minutes Monday so just got to work at 6.00am,Tuesday waited till 5.20am but no bus in site,so walked up to East Bank Road to catch any bus to town,then the bus came and the bus driver told us the correct driver did not turn up,so was late to work,Wednesday came a 5.15am and the Driver drove faster as he knew he was late.Today bus on time,then get to Barnsley Road then the Driver got off the bus for a Smoke and a look at is phone,then got to Firth Park and he looked at is phone again,and got to work on time,this just shows Why they are so many people driving cars as there is no Trust in out Bus Services in South Yorkshire

You mean the bus reached the timetabled stops early so waited until the advertised time?

Guest busdriver1
You mean the bus reached the timetabled stops early so waited until the advertised time?

Yes, a very difficult concept for some to grasp.

The word 'bus' short for omnibus a latin word meaning "for all"

Not just for me or you.

There are two concepts of time. One that measures it second by second.

And a timeless momentary in the moment time that moves full of surprises mysteries.

Our buses move along on that second concept of time. No matter how hard you try to keep moving it second by second all sorts of weird things can happen that influence the journey.

Timetable can only be some rough aim, when a bus is used to move schoolchildren, some weird high person starts arguing with driver, or has to do job of two buses when previous bus wasn't there. Can only move with second concept even if you printed the timetable in gold.

The Bus driver knew he was a bit earlier than he should have been,so pulled the bus into bus stop outside the Car Hire place on Barnsley Road,got off the bus with cigarette and a phone in is hand,this can be very annoying when your trying to get to work at 6.00a.m in the morning,Friday we got a driver who never worked to is timetable and drove so slow and asked him to drive a bit quicker but refused to and was late for work by a couple of minutes

It's "very annoying" if the bus is early so it waits? Surely you'd be very annoyed if it was early to your stop and you missed it because of that!

It's "very annoying" if the bus is early so it waits? Surely you'd be very annoyed if it was early to your stop and you missed it because of that!

And that is one of the problems, there are some drivers think they are Hamilton or Vettel until arriving at a 'timing location' when they stop for 5 minutes or so while the timetable 'catches' up. Just a bit unfortunate for the poor old passenger expecting the quarter to bus that hurtled past five minutes early at twenty to.

To answer the thread's question, buses have timetables so you know when they won't turn up :thumbsup: