Why do buses have Timetables if they aren't going to stick to them?

Some of the things though are what should happen. Nobody should get up until the bus has stopped due to safety.

Other road users have equal rights as any bus of vehicle so they don't have to let them out if they don't want to! Maybe if bus drivers were more polite people may let more of them go!

Not everyone Carey's change. I use a bus once in a blue and so have no idea of price and I pay with card almost everywhere and so if need money it will always be a note from a atm so always a minimum of £10. Simple solution is if buses were like London and where cashless.

haddy - Until very recently, the type of person who waits until the bus has stopped before even rising from their seat used to block the first bay on the bus, so no-one could get past them -- in other words usually young teenagers.

I also use my debit card where ever possible, but know that there are the occaisional times where that is impractical, so carry a fivers worth of change.

The cashless bus model of London cannot be used elsewhere - they employed a now-closed loop-hole in the law to introduce it.

Edited by RollingJ

haddy - Until very recently, the type of person who waits until the bus has stopped before even rising from their seat used to block the first bay on the bus, so no-one could get past them -- in other words usuallyyoung teenagers.

I also use my debit card where ever possible, but know that there are the occaisional times where that is impractical, so carry a fivers worth of change.

The cashless bus model of London cannot be used elsewhere - they employed a now-closed loop-hole in the law to introduce it.

As many cash machines only have £10 it's hard to get any less and if the buses don't accept card then they have to deal with whatever money someone has. If it was a cashless system it would be so much quicker bus that is the cho8ce of sypt and the operators

Sorry, but how hard is it to get £10, spend a bit - 50p - in a shop, and then make sure you've got a bit of change. Do you buy your daily paper by card?

As I explained in my post, Lomdons' cashless bus system is illegal, and other operators/PTe's can't introduce it - by law.

Sorry, but how hard is it to get £10, spend a bit - 50p - in a shop, and then make sure you've got a bit of change. Do you buy your daily paper by card?

As I explained in my post, Lomdons' cashless bus system is illegal, and other operators/PTe's can't introduce it - by law.

Why should you have to spend money that you dont want to? And I'd pay by card at a shop like normal. Also I don't like to carry change roind

As many cash machines only have £10 it's hard to get any less and if the buses don't accept card then they have to deal with whatever money someone has. If it was a cashless system it would be so much quicker bus that is the cho8ce of sypt and the operators

First & Stagecoach accept contactless card payments.

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 21:35 ----------

Why should you have to spend money that you dont want to? And I'd pay by card at a shop like normal. Also I don't like to carry change roind

Then pay with card on the bus.

Yes, Yorkie2000, you are quite correct - I had forgotten that as I have a weekly ticket I top-up by machine.

First & Stagecoach accept contactless card payments.

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 21:35 ----------

Then pay with card on the bus.

Twice on first the machine wasn't working, TM, Powell's don't have them, or certainly didn't last time got on

Top decks of buses in my experience are associated with scroates and chavs, so I prefer to avoid them and use the lower deck. I hope this is OK?

Not sure what you mean by OK, I was simply trying to find out the reasons, and why practices have changed. You have suggested your reason is to avoid the type of person you describe. I get that. I must be lucky, on the odd occasion I've had to go upstairs it's been fine, but some people really don't have that option.

There's less courtesy generally now in terms of offering seats; some people who don't have mobility issues sitting in seats marked as priority; some not moving down a full bus but clustering at the front making access difficult. Bus drivers used to shout 'move down the bus' but don't seem to do that now.

These are just the observations of a group of older people who use public transport, including me, that were discussed recently. We wonder if it's a lack of understanding the issues around ageing rather than purely selfish behaviour.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 08:49 ----------

In my hometown in Scotland - and probably elsewhere - drivers don't touch fares, it's exact money into a machine. it'll accept more but doesn't give change. People are used to it and it's speeded boarding.

Some of the things though are what should happen. Nobody should get up until the bus has stopped due to safety.
Except that they made it from the platform to the rear upper seats whilst the bus was moving and the standing passengers downstairs survived the ordeal of being upright throughout the journey.

Other road users have equal rights as any bus of vehicle so they don't have to let them out if they don't want to! Maybe if bus drivers were more polite people may let more of them go!
All road users have equal rights, I agree. I was merely stating a fact that influences a bus's timetable

Not everyone Carey's change. I use a bus once in a blue and so have no idea of price and I pay with card almost everywhere and so if need money it will always be a note from a atm so always a minimum of £10. Simple solution is if buses were like London and where cashless.
However, several people use the bus every weekday morning but never seem to carry any change ….. so that's a tenner from the cash machine every day. I'm talking the regular users, not the 'once in a blue moon' ones

Oh no if they use buses regular there is no excuse for not having the right money. I am on about people who use then very rarely like myself which could be anything upto 6 months betweenuseage so have no idea of what fair is and on different routes!

This is a rather extreme example.

Three buses to complete one journey across Sheffield? I assume you are trying to avoid the City centre.

Anyway maximum bus fare is £4.50 for all day travel.

I just used the journey planner on TravelSouthYorkshire.

I don't use peasant wagons anymore, although I doubt very much that it's on'y £4.50 as the route uses 2 separate companies.

I just used the journey planner on TravelSouthYorkshire.

I don't use peasant wagons anymore, although I doubt very much that it's on'y £4.50 as the route uses 2 separate companies.

A city wide day ticket for any bus or tram is 4.80. I buy one on the occasions I use a bus and tram rather than cycle to work.

Does anybody call buses peasant wagons other than those who see car travel as some sort of status symbol. Pathetic at best.