Why do buses have Timetables if they aren't going to stick to them?

I just used the journey planner on TravelSouthYorkshire.

I don't use peasant wagons anymore, although I doubt very much that it's on'y £4.50 as the route uses 2 separate companies.

CityBus Sheffield. You can use any bus in Sheffield regardless of operator is £4.50 for the day.

Unless your travelling out of Sheffield then the price is more.

CityBus Sheffield. You can use any bus in Sheffield regardless of operator is £4.50 for the day.

Unless your travelling out of Sheffield then the price is more.

It's quite a bit more compared to before

It's quite a bit more compared to before

How did you get the fares "before" to compare with the fare now?

If you had used "peasant wagons" you would know that weekly and daily fares across providers is cheaper than it was a decade ago.

It may well be a fault on my old PC but I cannot find a fares breakdown on the "journey planner on TravelSouthYorkshire". How did you get these fares?

in the fiftys and sixtys people got sacked for being only minutes late if it happened a few times,seems we have gone backwords in time keeping,not saying it was right,but they had more care then,but of course less traffic.

How did you get the fares "before" to compare with the fare now?

If you had used "peasant wagons" you would know that weekly and daily fares across providers is cheaper than it was a decade ago.

It may well be a fault on my old PC but I cannot find a fares breakdown on the "journey planner on TravelSouthYorkshire". How did you get these fares?

How rude to make a reference to peasant wagons and myself! Go and take a long hard look at yourself!

As regards to the prices quite simple really, previous tickets and cost vs current ticket and costs.

Would have thought that be simple for anyone that!

in the fiftys and sixtys people got sacked for being only minutes late if it happened a few times,seems we have gone backwords in time keeping,not saying it was right,but they had more care then,but of course less traffic.

No they did"nt, they got disciplined for running early, no excuse for running early, but plenty for running late.

Guest busdriver1
"Who on earth would use a taxi? certainly not me as long as I have the use of my legs"

What an odd thing to say!

Shall we start with....people who want to travel distances that are too far to walk?!

Try reading what I wrote instead of what you want to read..

Unlike you I am not in a position to answer for everybody so just answered for my self. And in answer to your tangential point, I would use the bus in that situation. Yes, it may involve a little thought and planning but fortunately I am up to the job.

How rude to make a reference to peasant wagons and myself! Go and take a long hard look at yourself!

As regards to the prices quite simple really, previous tickets and cost vs current ticket and costs.

Would have thought that be simple for anyone that!

I have made a mistake and I need to apologise to you.

The post should have been spilt in two.

The reference to "peasant wagons" and journey planner fares should have been a reply to post 47 by "Resident".

Sorry.

First & Stagecoach accept contactless card payments.

---------- Post added 21-07-2018 at 21:35 ----------

Then pay with card on the bus.

you can't pay by card on the bus for anything other than day or single tickets at moment.

Close to being useless - you're much more likely to need to pay by card for the weekly/monthly ticets if you've not got the smaller amounts of money for a single trip.

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 11:30 ----------

No they did"nt, they got disciplined for running early, no excuse for running early, but plenty for running late.

You're right about "no excuses for running early", but there are no excuses for running late.

(There could, of course, be plenty of reasons for running late)

Try reading what I wrote instead of what you want to read..

Unlike you I am not in a position to answer for everybody so just answered for my self. And in answer to your tangential point, I would use the bus in that situation. Yes, it may involve a little thought and planning but fortunately I am up to the job.

I did. You questioned why on earth anyone with feet would want to use a taxi!

Surely if they're cheaper, cleaner, and easier to use than a bus, the answer would be 'anyone wanting to travel a distance they can't walk'?

I use them more now than ever - when two or more people are travelling its cheaper, and takes you door to door.

Less people are travelling by bus now in Sheffield. I'd be willing to wager a lot of them are using taxis instead. A better service - why wouldn't they use it?

If buses can't compete, price wise, with other methods of travelling, it's difficult to see a future for bus travel.

I understand your loyalty to buses.....but why would anyone want to put "thought and planning" into getting from A and B in a busy lifestyle if they they can do it more easily? History is littered with old institutions that have been replaced with solutions that are more convenient and require less effort, for better prices.

Perhaps it's time for the bus networks to recognise this, take a look at their dwindling usage numbers, and instead of reacting by hiking the fares again, look at why this is happening, what people are doing instead, and ways to bring back customers?

Ultimately no one has any loyalty to buses - they'll just go for the easiest and cheapest option. How do buses compete?

Edited by paula4sheff

Buses not running to timetable? As a regular bus user where do I start?

Motorists refusing to let buses pull out of side roads.

Sheer amount of traffic on route.

Roadworks.

Idiot passengers chucking a tenner at the driver for a £1.50 fare.

Why don't the buses carry change?

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 12:22 ----------

Buses not running to timetable? As a regular bus user where do I start?

Motorists refusing to let buses pull out of side roads.

Sheer amount of traffic on route.

Roadworks.

Idiot passengers chucking a tenner at the driver for a £1.50 fare.

Idiot passengers who have strolled past an interchange ticket top up machine at some point during the day but top it up on the bus.

Idiot passengers who complain that the bus is late then spend an age trying to find pass/ticket/money etc when bus turns up.

Idiot passengers who ask if bus goes past ?????????? every single morning.

Non-English speaking passengers who haven't got a clue what to ask for.

It's the passengers and other road users that make the timetables pointless.

Oh, and the new craze of pressing the bell ….. then only when the bus has stopped …… strolling from the rear upstairs seat, down the stairs (gently) and off the bus as slowly as possible. Preferably in a baseball cap.

Some people do this, because bus drivers seem to have a habit of doing emergency stops frequently - not good if you are on the stairs...

---------- Post added 23-07-2018 at 12:23 ----------

Why should you have to spend money that you dont want to? And I'd pay by card at a shop like normal. Also I don't like to carry change roind

Exactly - if they accept cash on the bus, they should carry sufficient change. Just like every shop does.

Make all public transport free and at least the fare collection delays would be removed?

Not as simple as that. Estonian free schemes need to be monitored. There bus ridership in Tallin has gained at the expense of healthy walking. Use of cars hasn't reduced very much at all. Unregistered users from abroad or out of town still have to pay.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/estonia-is-making-public-transport-free/