Supertram staff to strike..

These don't seem terrible rates of pay, considering no academic qualifications are needed to get a start as a conductor - just over £18k per annum, as of last year. Around £23k for a driver. This was a recruitment ad in 2017. Surely it would be simple to show what the salaries would be after the proposed increases?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/drivers-and-conductors-needed-for-sheffield-s-supertram-1-8677491

I'm a bit out of touch with pay, retired for a number of years, but there will be plenty of working people out there who know whats being paid for jobs in this area with similar skill levels. Are these pay rates really far behind?

What speaks volumes to me in all this, is the fact how recruitment used to be very few and far between on the trams, now it seems as if they can't either retain the existing staff or recruit the extra staff - so much so that an recruitment day is required and they have openly stated that this is the 1st time that one has been required.

So somehow, I would assume the problems are more deep rooted than pay. From what has been stated it sounds like a good deal, but obviously we don't know all the details of the terms and conditions that Supertram would impose, should their employees accept this deal.

Fingers crossed strike action can be averted on Monday!

A lot of assumptions .

Most employees bitch about their management and forget they’re employed to do a job and have a job description... and that their managers have a job description and are also managed....

Maybe the recruitment day is so they actually attract the right kind of people with the right attitude and mix of customer skills... maybe managers have managed people properly and weeded our the lazy , those with bad attitudes or those who take the **** with sickness

Or weeded out those that followed the company policies and collected revenue and asked unwilling passengers to pay as the company sees them as potential fare paying passengers or weeded out the ones with genuine health problems and even diseases such as cancer.

These don't seem terrible rates of pay, considering no academic qualifications are needed to get a start as a conductor - just over £18k per annum, as of last year. Around £23k for a driver. This was a recruitment ad in 2017. Surely it would be simple to show what the salaries would be after the proposed increases?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/drivers-and-conductors-needed-for-sheffield-s-supertram-1-8677491

I'm a bit out of touch with pay, retired for a number of years, but there will be plenty of working people out there who know whats being paid for jobs in this area with similar skill levels. Are these pay rates really far behind?

They aren't bad pay rates for a job you can walk into with no academic qualifications.

A team leader job in care which requires you to have an nvq level 2 or 3 or similar qualifications my other half saw advertised online other day was 8.50 an hour, with this you are responsible for your residents and your team of support workers.

My dad started on the buses in early 80s when it was Yorkshire traction in rotherham and barnsley and he had to work years to get what they called the old man rate..

Edited by foxydebs
fixed the quotes

If you live in Arbourthorne and Norfolk Park, Supertram have said a big F.U. to people who use their services, as the replacement buses have been confirmed to run straight down City Road into the city from Manor Top.

Nearest buses to use will be Eastern Avenue for the 41, City Road for the 7/8/8A/50/50A/53/73/74/74A and 120 or East Bank Road for the 1/1A/41 and 51.

'Due to a limited number of buses and bus drivers being available, replacement services are unable to serve stops along Park Grange Road.'

Full details are available at: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/yorkshire/2018/june/st-strike-action

If you live in Arbourthorne and Norfolk Park, Supertram have said a big F.U. to people who use their services, as the replacement buses have been confirmed to run straight down City Road into the city from Manor Top.

Nearest buses to use will be Eastern Avenue for the 41, City Road for the 7/8/8A/50/50A/53/73/74/74A and 120 or East Bank Road for the 1/1A/41 and 51.

'Due to a limited number of buses and bus drivers being available, replacement services are unable to serve stops along Park Grange Road.'

Full details are available at: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/yorkshire/2018/june/st-strike-action

As I understand it Stagecoach Sheffield drivers will not cover the replacement bus services, supporting their Supertram colleagues, so they’ll be bringing drivers in from outside the area.

As I understand it Stagecoach Sheffield drivers will not cover the replacement bus services, supporting their Supertram colleagues, so they’ll be bringing drivers in from outside the area.

Good on them for supporting their fellow tram colleagues. But how will this impact the planned replacement bus service?

Also, The Star have picked up on the latest ballot result and the figures are shocking. What was the revised pay offer that Supertram had offered to have been rejected so much?

'In a second ballot held yesterday, Unite members voted 91 per cent in favour or strike action and 95 per cent for industrial action short of a strike.Unite said the revised offer still amounted to an 'insulting' pay increase of just 26p an hour when the details were analysed, and warned further strikes could follow if a better deal fails to materialise.'

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-supertram-strike-to-paralyse-network-after-workers-reject-revised-pay-offer-1-9238698

Guest busdriver1

Happens every time there is industrial action within Stagecoach. They have a large group of drivers who will happily travel the length of the country to drive buses during industrial action. That and the local managers and supervisors should provide ample cover.

Good on them for supporting their fellow tram colleagues. But how will this impact the planned replacement bus service?

If people are coming out of area they will want to keep the replacement service route as easy as possible, I would guess.

Happens every time there is industrial action within Stagecoach. They have a large group of drivers who will happily travel the length of the country to drive buses during industrial action. That and the local managers and supervisors should provide ample cover.

It must be costing Supertram a fortune though!

Guest busdriver1

I suspect the revised route is more to do with using drivers from out the area meaning a straighter and simpler route can be run. I also suspect that an issue is spare buses, not drivers. I would imagine many of the drivers coming from elsewhere will bring buses with them.

I actually doubt if sheffield drivers will have been asked to run tram replacement buses as i am fairly sure they have a normal service to to run as well.

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 12:53 ----------

It must be costing Supertram a fortune though!

Come on, you know Mr Souter. He will spend £10 million to break a strike over £1.50p He has a strong dislike of Unions.

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 12:55 ----------

If people are coming out of area they will want to keep the replacement service route as easy as possible, I would guess.

Exactly. Makes sense to them and after all Norfolk Park is not that far from bus routes.

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 12:58 ----------

This is exactly what I meant - it is pure madness and one would think that management would simply show what they would earn under the new and old schemes for the standard week no overtime and then in increments of overtime hours.

There are ways of making offers look good without actually telling lies, Percentages are often useful tools for this. (especially if you cherry pick the ones you use).

A further 72-hour strike is planned for July 20-22, the weekend of the Tramlines festival, if the dispute is not resolved before then, according to The Star.

Surely this would have catostrophic implications on Supertram services?

That’s just calculated to screw the general public over.

A potential revenue boosting weekend and they intend to strike for all of it . That’s just calculated and clearly aimed at holding the tram to ransom

I would guess the ‘implications ‘ you mention would be a lot less money in the pot to fund any pay rise .. and it doesn’t take a genius to work this out ...

And screwing folk over like that never garners public sympathy......

It’s also disrespectful of the strikers and their union to do this especially disrespectful as this is the week tramlines organiser Sarah Nulty died ....

So fundamentally you have an issue with people exercising their legal right. I understand your way of thinking now :loopy:

That’s just calculated to screw the general public over.

A potential revenue boosting weekend and they intend to strike for all of it . That’s just calculated and clearly aimed at holding the tram to ransom

I would guess the ‘implications ‘ you mention would be a lot less money in the pot to fund any pay rise .. and it doesn’t take a genius to work this out ...

And screwing folk over like that never garners public sympathy......

It’s also disrespectful of the strikers and their union to do this especially disrespectful as this is the week tramlines organiser Sarah Nulty died ....

Pretty much like airline staff striking during the summer holidays , never seems to be in the winter :suspect:

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 22:51 ----------

So fundamentally you have an issue with people exercising their legal right. I understand your way of thinking now :loopy:

and we all understand yours