Supertram staff to strike..

But tram conductors aren't train conductors/guards, nor do they have the same responsibilities as the latter either. So they aren't going to get paid anywhere near the same, just because they share the word "conductor" in the job title.

I don’t think any of them are asking for that much - it just helps to put it in context. It certainly puts into context what tram train drivers will be earning compared to a mainline driver. I suppose your view is probably typical of the rest of the Supertram management ;)

Should driving a tram be compared with driving a bus or driving a train in terms of complexity/skill/knowledge and pay?

Should driving a tram be compared with driving a bus or driving a train in terms of complexity/skill/knowledge and pay?

It’s the worst of both worlds isn’t it. You have to know everything a bus driver would, plus some of what train drivers do (e.g signals, points, routes, technology etc) plus the extra responsibility of carrying the additional passengers over a bus.

Tram Train drivers have to know the network rail rulebool as well as being able to drive on the tram network.

I’d also imagine some elements of driving a tram are harder than driving a train because you can’t drive a tram to signals and train drivers don’t, generally, have to worry about pedestrians or traffic.

It’s the worst of both worlds isn’t it. You have to know everything a bus driver would, plus some of what train drivers do (e.g signals, points, routes, technology etc) plus the extra responsibility of carrying the additional passengers over a bus.

Tram Train drivers have to know the network rail rulebool as well as being able to drive on the tram network.

I’d also imagine some elements of driving a tram are harder than driving a train because you can’t drive a tram to signals and train drivers don’t, generally, have to worry about pedestrians or traffic.

yes but most bus drivers also have to collect the fares and interact with passengers and the tram driver does not.

I am not sure if pay is calculated on the basis of the average number of passengers carried yet but an interesting concept should a driver of a train get paid more with 3 car train than the one on the same route with a two car set?

yes but most bus drivers also have to collect the fares and interact with passengers and the tram driver does not.

I am not sure if pay is calculated on the basis of the average number of passengers carried yet but an interesting concept should a driver of a train get paid more with 3 car train than the one on the same route with a two car set?

Surely the safety critical elements of the driving are far more important than the revenue collection? On that basis conductors should be paid 3x a bus driver. On a Monday morning a tram conductor can take up £2k, a bus driver around £500.

So because Metrolink don’t have conductors it’s okay to pay drivers more? They have a fleet of inspectors who earn a lot more than conductors at Supertram.

Conductors on trains earn around £30k a year, nearly double tram conductors.

As regards to trams being doubled up they have a max of 5 part-time conductors on during peak who work in key areas such as Station - shalesmoor or middlewood - uni. They never double up entire runs, or duties. I’m not sure what your argument is.

You certainly know alot about the workings , salaries and staffing levels of supertram for someone who only got 1% last year

Certainly not an ‘underpaid undervalued axe grinding’ driver ?

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 17:59 ----------

Surely the safety critical elements of the driving are far more important than the revenue collection? On that basis conductors should be paid 3x a bus driver. On a Monday morning a tram conductor can take up £2k, a bus driver around £500.

Without the revenue there would be no pay offer at all would there!

Still. Waiting for someone to post what increases drivers and conductors have had over last 7 years while rest of us got 1% or pay freezes ...‼️

You certainly know alot about the workings , salaries and staffing levels of supertram for someone who only got 1% last year

Certainly not an ‘underpaid undervalued axe grinding’ driver

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 17:59 ----------

Without the revenue there would be no pay offer at all would there!

Still. Waiting for someone to post what increases drivers and conductors have had over last 7 years while rest of us got 1% or pay freezes ...‼️

As I said previously - I work in the public sector and have had a 1% pay ‘rise’ for the last 8 years. It doesn’t mean I don’t support the rights of others to stand up for themselves, it also doesn’t mean that I don’t work in transport, nor that living in the city I don’t have friends who work for both Stagecoach and First!

I couldn’t tell you what they’ve had over the last 8 years or so, other than I know they’ve had below inflation pay rises too.

I’d love to get paid more money for what I do, but I also think that those who get paid less than me, who work unsocial hours (I have the luxury of 9-5) and who do a good job don’t deserve more. I also don’t think that saying well job X has had Y rise therefore Z shouldn’t get anymore is either fair or relevant. Every job has its own different context and conditions and everybody has the right to be paid fairly for their work. I’d support careworkers, nhs staff and anybody else who is underpaid to fight for their rights too.

Edited by Hook

As I said previously - I work in the public sector and have had a 1% pay ‘rise’ for the last 8 years. It doesn’t mean I don’t support the rights of others to stand up for themselves, it also doesn’t mean that I don’t work in transport, nor that living in the city I don’t have friends who work for both Stagecoach and First!

I couldn’t tell you what they’ve had over the last 8 years or so, other than I know they’ve had below inflation pay rises too.

I’d love to get paid more money for what I do, but I also think that those who get paid less than me, who work unsocial hours (I have the luxury of 9-5) and who do a good job don’t deserve more. I also don’t think that saying well job X has had Y rise therefore Z shouldn’t get anymore is either fair or relevant. Every job has its own different context and conditions and everybody has the right to be paid fairly for their work. I’d support careworkers, nhs staff and anybody else who is underpaid to fight for their rights too.

You seriously think they’re underpaid ? Pmsl . ? Tell that to care workers wiping arses day in day out and would kill for a generous offer like whats been made or what they've had over the last few years.

Is it the new law that people receive above inflation pay rises now ?

I’d bite their hand off for what’s being offered over 2 years

And strikes equal loss of takings which mean less money to fund pay rises

You seriously think they’re underpaid ? Pmsl . ? Tell that to care workers wiping arses day in day out and would kill for a generous offer like whats been made or what they've had over the last few years.

Is it the new law that people receive above inflation pay rises now ?

I’d bite their hand off for what’s being offered over 2 years

And strikes equal loss of takings which mean less money to fund pay rises

I think, like a lot of people, they’re comparatively underpaid.

I also think care workers are underpaid. I said that in my original post. You clearly didn’t read that ??

Honestly, it's not a competition to see who is more deserving of being paid a decent wage. Everyone, no matter what their job is, deserves to be paid a decent wage that at the very least keeps up with the ever increasing cost of living.

Honestly, it's not a competition to see who is more deserving of being paid a decent wage. Everyone, no matter what their job is, deserves to be paid a decent wage that at the very least keeps up with the ever increasing cost of living.

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

I honestly think both tram and bus drivers are massively underpaid for a stressful job. Especially when you compare it to how much a train driver gets.

I suppose a better comparator for a tram driver is a tube driver rather than a train. Tube drivers just shy of £50k pa. Plus lots of benefits.

I do feel sorry for the bus drivers it always seems to me to be one of the more difficult public service jobs , tiring and can never switch off whilst driving. And it tends to be very poorly paid. If I was on their rates I'd be trying to do something about it too.

Edited by SHFS6
Typo