RIP Peter Stringfellow

I didn't get to hear about his death until someone mentioned it, late morning. I was genuinely shocked.

Great character & someone who worked their way up from the bottom, (no pun intended), through hard graft. A lesson for current wannabe celebs.

He once borrowed £2 from me in the pub down the road from the Mojo - was it called the Tollbar?

Reminded him when we were in London for the millennium - so asked us to his club and a bottle of champagne

A good local guy !

The pub was the Tollgate, the building is still there on Pitsmoor Road but hasn't been a pub for many years.

Calahonda I was thinking the same thing about Geoff. I had a feeling Geoff was actually older than Pete, may be wrong though. I heard a few years ago that Geoff was quite ill. He was much quieter than Pete but also a very nice chap. It's not mentioned very often but Geoff was also very much a part of the Mojo Club back in the 60's. Always liked to stay out of the limelight but never the less a big part of the Mojo & I believe went into quite a few other ventures with Pete for a few years after the Mojo closed down. I wish him well & his family where ever they are.

Calahonda I was thinking the same thing about Geoff. I had a feeling Geoff was actually older than Pete, may be wrong though. I heard a few years ago that Geoff was quite ill. He was much quieter than Pete but also a very nice chap. It's not mentioned very often but Geoff was also very much a part of the Mojo Club back in the 60's. Always liked to stay out of the limelight but never the less a big part of the Mojo & I believe went into quite a few other ventures with Pete for a few years after the Mojo closed down. I wish him well & his family where ever they are.

Geoff was the brains of the family, and even if he wasn’t older, he appeared to be Pete’s big brother. He ran Stringfellows in London, Pete was the master at opening doors, Geoff was left to sort out the business end prior to closing them. Sheffield City Council treat them deplorably and did their upmost to run them out of town.

Pete was the oldest.

Thanks retep, I wasn't sure. Yes they did try & run Pete & Geoff out of town & the Mojo Club was the best thing that ever happened to Sheffield teens in the 60's. They were treated shockingly by the council & others. I have nothing but praise for the whole family to be honest as I frequented the Mojo for most of it's life span. Mr & Mrs Stringfellow were lovely people as were the boys all of them. Geoff's wife Maureen was also a nice lady. We were fortunate enough to reap the benefit of Pete being able to recognize & secure bands & singers that went on to become some of the most well known entertainers of today. Geoff probably was the brains behind the outfit & Pete certainly had the charisma needed. I & I am sure, many many other Sheffield (now 70 year old's haha) have very fond memories of Pete Geoff & the Mojo ....sorry KING Mojo Club.

I got to know Pete Stringfellow through my older brother who worked with him selling first aid kits door to door. Pete came to our house a few times and would always try and chat my sister up but she wasn’t interested,my brother helped him when he started with the clubs and my step father worked on the door. Over the years we lost touch till I started going to the Mojo for the all nighters which we would go to after the Esquire club and we would go into Pond street toilets to change into our suits. I went to his clubs in Sheffield and Leeds and was a regular in the Down broadway club/coffee bar which was the last time I saw him to talk with. There was 4 brothers Geoff Pete Paul and another brother who lived either on Parson cross or Shiregreen who I think had a problem with the family.I don’t remember their dad but I remember the mother who often worked on the door taking the money who we always called Ma. I have loads of memories of the days back then. Every time I saw Pete on the TV it would bring it all back.Alan P

Its such a sad loss. Alan P.