RIP Peter Stringfellow

On 6/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, St Tropez said:

I have a few Sheffield facts from my dad who knew him in his youth. He passed his 11+ and got into Firth Park School but got expelled quite soon and ended up living away from his parents on Catherine St with other family members in Pitsmoor. As a kid he worked in a bread van and got his first taste of earning money. My dad said he had strange goofy teeth and was not a looker but was nice, his brother Jeff however was very handsome.

His first club was Days Dancing which became Mojos in Toll Bar/Pitsmoor. His first scoop was hiring the Beatles in 62 and the venue was too small so he moved it from St Aidens Church Hall to White Lane. This then was the BIG TIME....hope you got an insight...RIP Peter, God bless.

ps I once went to Stringfellows in London and asked as I was from Sheffield could I come in for free..they let me and fella in for free...big respect.

My wife remembers him at his grandma with Terry and Geoff up Gleadless Valley.

Edited by desy

On 6/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, St Tropez said:

I have a few Sheffield facts from my dad who knew him in his youth. He passed his 11+ and got into Firth Park School but got expelled quite soon and ended up living away from his parents on Catherine St with other family members in Pitsmoor. As a kid he worked in a bread van and got his first taste of earning money. My dad said he had strange goofy teeth and was not a looker but was nice, his brother Jeff however was very handsome.

His first club was Days Dancing which became Mojos in Toll Bar/Pitsmoor. His first scoop was hiring the Beatles in 62 and the venue was too small so he moved it from St Aidens Church Hall to White Lane. This then was the BIG TIME....hope you got an insight...RIP Peter, God bless.

ps I once went to Stringfellows in London and asked as I was from Sheffield could I come in for free..they let me and fella in for free...big respect.

This is so interesting. I never really knew much about him where he grew up and the like. Haha they let you in for free because you were from Sheffield. Top choice lol. Fab post. :) 

5 hours ago, desy said:

He seemed like a really nice, down to earth bloke. :)

11 hours ago, desy said:
6 hours ago, TinStar said:

This is so interesting. I never really knew much about him where he grew up and the like. Haha they let you in for free because you were from Sheffield. Top choice lol. Fab post. :) 

The Stringfellow's first club was the Black Cat (St.Aiden's church hall City Road), followed by Blue Moon (Johnson Street/Nursery Street). The Mojo was the third one in 1964 (Pitsmoor Road) and then Down Broadway (High Street). Those four were probably just dance halls as they didn't sell alcohol. The final venture being the Penthouse (Dixon Lane) that did sell alcohol and could open until 2:am.

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

The Stringfellow's first club was the Black Cat (St.Aiden's church hall City Road), followed by Blue Moon (Johnson Street/Nursery Street). The Mojo was the third one in 1964 (Pitsmoor Road) and then Down Broadway (High Street). Those four were probably just dance halls as they didn't sell alcohol. The final venture being the Penthouse (Dixon Lane) that did sell alcohol and could open until 2:am.

I was a regular at St Aiden's , Pete perhaps we have met .

)es Albert, the Black Cat club opened in late 1962 but records only then, no groups. The Mersey beat era in 1963 when it really took off with groups coming from all over. In 1963 I saw the Searchers and the Hollies there who went on to bigger things (well so did the Stringfellows). The brothers left there  in early 1964,the place didn't close, infact it's still there as a church hall just Pete and Geoff moved on, I was at the same school (but younger)  as Geoff and he had the makings of a professional footballer but went to work at ESC Brightside with his dad.

Edited by St Petre
add

16 hours ago, St Petre said:

I bet it was great back then. A better time to be young. I am sure that I have hard people talk about Mojo.  :) :) 

Suppose you were right in saying they were dance halls St Petre, but as someone who spent their teens years at the Mojo Club they were more than dance halls to us. Pete had so much charisma not to mention insight into the music scene back then. Where else could you have seen the bands,groups, solo artists that Pete & Geoff Stringfellow brought to the Mojo Club? They were brilliant years, open only about three years in total & here we are more than 50 years later still talking about the Mojo Club. It was something really special that really was a case of "You had to be there to understand it". All we were interested in back then was the music, the dancing & the fashion. I consider myself so lucky to have been a teen in the 60's living in Sheffield. Tin Star if you can get hold of any books about the Mojo club ,cast your eyes down the bands, groups, solo artists who played there. No matter how old you are now, I am sure you will be more than impressed to see who played there & what we paid to see them.  Fantastic times believe me.

20 hours ago, St Petre said:

)es Albert, the Black Cat club opened in late 1962 but records only then, no groups. The Mersey beat era in 1963 when it really took off with groups coming from all over. In 1963 I saw the Searchers and the Hollies there who went on to bigger things (well so did the Stringfellows). The brothers left there  in early 1964,the place didn't close, infact it's still there as a church hall just Pete and Geoff moved on, I was at the same school (but younger)  as Geoff and he had the makings of a professional footballer but went to work at ESC Brightside with his dad.

I was a regular at Black Cat in 62 and every time i went there was a group on.