Is the population/courty getting richer?

The year-long wage squeeze nearing an end, but people were getting poorer for around a year prior to that.

Are we the 5th-9th richest country? Has our position in the worlds rich list improved over the last few decades?

Fewer people are owning their own house, does that mean people are getting poorer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43788537

What has happened to everyones parents wealth?

Edited by El Cid

Well, before the first world war, we were the richest country in the world, and have slipped back to 4th or 5th in the last 100 years.

Anyway, it matters not whether we are getting wealthier as a country, if that wealth is not making everyone feel better off. At the moment it's just making the rich richer... Having a bunch of ridiculously rich Russian oligarchs and oil rich Sheiks living here in their ivory towers because they can shelter here from tax, does not make the country rich.

Edited by Anna B

...The year-long wage squeeze nearing an end...

'year-long'?

try : 'ten-year-long' ...

(and personally, i haven't had a real-terms pay-rise for 20 years - but that's engineering for you!)

20 years ago, upon the death of my father we got the proceeds of his house sale; about £8,000

It did help me at the time, but it didn't seem life changing. I only have one child, so my house may help her greatly, if its not used to pay for my care.

Doubtful the oldies are getting richer, especially those who survive on a measly old age pension and have little or no brass in the bank.

As for the Country, 5th richest in the world I believe, so it must be doing okish.

Angel1.

My industry is in engineering and we have been looked after very well.

We had 2.8% last year and going to get 3.7% this year. Then we’ll get RPI linked rises for the next three years.

Can’t complain.

(and personally, i haven't had a real-terms pay-rise for 20 years - but that's engineering for you!)

My industry is in engineering and we have been looked after very well.

We had 2.8% last year and going to get 3.7% this year. Then we’ll get RPI linked rises for the next three years.

Can’t complain.

Two very different views from the same industry...

Two very different views from the same industry...

One union, one none union?

One union, one none union?

I am a member of Unite and they negotiated the pay deal.

As a mate of mine said earlier today..

"My union negotiated a 2% rise last year.

I left and went independant and managed to swing a 90% increase. Dont assume a union is all it's cracked up to be...."

Talking to some young people, they didn't know what a Union was or what for.