Sheffield has the highest student retention rate after graduation

Probably right about that - Sheffield's plus points will appeal to some people but we don't have the buzz factor that Leeds or Manchester has.

If you think back to late 90s, whether you liked the music or not Sheffield had a world renowned nightclub and a few fairly decent ones. Sheffield certainly wouldn't be a destination city now for the nightlife, although it does cater for a range of tastes.

How do we compare with places like Nottingham? Is it more realistic to try and compare ourselves with places like that rather than Manchester or Leeds?

Its a tribute to how worthless the degrees from our Unis are, that graduates cannot escape Sheffield to a better paid job elsewhere.

Poor kids with huge debts all for a worthless piece of paper.

I think you've missed something. The graduates are escaping Sheffield to better jobs and lives elsewhere. The problem is retaining the graduates in jobs that reflect their abilities. Effectively the problem lies with Sheffield, not the degrees.

Its a tribute to how worthless the degrees from our Unis are, that graduates cannot escape Sheffield to a better paid job elsewhere.

Poor kids with huge debts all for a worthless piece of paper.

What nonsense. The discussion is about why graduates leave the City to get to work- it's nothing whatsoever to do with the degrees being 'worthless'.

What's the obsession with retail in the city centre? Sheffield admittedly missed boat when Leeds started developing their city centre and Manchester city centre benefitted from redevelopment after awful IRA bombing.

We've got Meadowhall down road for shopping, celebrate what our city centre has got - plenty of open space that is well used, decent collection of restaurants (including some awesome independents), two great theatres, wide selection of bars/pubs catering for different tastes and hopefully the remains of a castle which according to academics was far more important than previously thought.

The retail offer in city centre should be linked to the above and not try and replicate the flat-pack model city centres you see elsewhere.

If that's not enough for you, 10 minute bus ride from that lot and you're in a national park.

I agree with your last point. It's a bit sad though when the best thing about the city is getting out of it into the surrounding countryside isn't it?

I agree with your last point. It's a bit sad though when the best thing about the city is getting out of it into the surrounding countryside isn't it?

Quoted for truth.

Probably right about that - Sheffield's plus points will appeal to some people but we don't have the buzz factor that Leeds or Manchester has.

If you think back to late 90s, whether you liked the music or not Sheffield had a world renowned nightclub and a few fairly decent ones. Sheffield certainly wouldn't be a destination city now for the nightlife, although it does cater for a range of tastes.

How engaged are you with Sheffield nightlife? There is more of a buzz around the Sheffield electronic music scene now than there has been in the short time I've been in Sheffield (8 years..). Hope Works, Night Kitchen, Yellow Arch Studios, Tank, Foundry are just some of the venues bringing internationally acclaimed artists here on a regular basis. Promoters like Displace, Off Me Nut and Dusk Til Dawn have worked hard in the past five years to host fantastic lineups that attract people from all over the country - and sometimes further afield - to our city. There is a lot of interesting stuff going on here culturally, we just need to SHOUT about it more and get it recognised beyond the city... but first we have to work together and appreciate it here..

How engaged are you with Sheffield nightlife? There is more of a buzz around the Sheffield electronic music scene now than there has been in the short time I've been in Sheffield (8 years..). Hope Works, Night Kitchen, Yellow Arch Studios, Tank, Foundry are just some of the venues bringing internationally acclaimed artists here on a regular basis. Promoters like Displace, Off Me Nut and Dusk Til Dawn have worked hard in the past five years to host fantastic lineups that attract people from all over the country - and sometimes further afield - to our city. There is a lot of interesting stuff going on here culturally, we just need to SHOUT about it more and get it recognised beyond the city... but first we have to work together and appreciate it here..

But, good as it is, it's only a very niche (excuse the pun!) audience that goes to these sort of events.

I think a lot of the problems when it comes to these sort of events too, is that they almost seem to revel in their 'exclusivity' a sort of underground 'you have to be in the know' scene. Which of course is what makes a lot of these nights appealing to people- but they're not a major draw, in terms of the grand scale, and they don't seem to want to be.

In terms of more 'rock' (and I use the term broadly) music - there's no doubt about the fact that Sheffield has fallen of a cliff in terms of being a stopping point for nationally and internationally touring acts. compared to what it was in the late 90s/early 2000s.

But, good as it is, it's only a very niche (excuse the pun!) audience that goes to these sort of events.

I think a lot of the problems when it comes to these sort of events too, is that they almost seem to revel in their 'exclusivity' a sort of underground 'you have to be in the know' scene. Which of course is what makes a lot of these nights appealing to people- but they're not a major draw, in terms of the grand scale, and they don't seem to want to be.

In terms of more 'rock' (and I use the term broadly) music - there's no doubt about the fact that Sheffield has fallen of a cliff in terms of being a stopping point for nationally and internationally touring acts. compared to what it was in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Yeah I hear you with that. A niche but significantly sized audience, mind you, and growing every year. Live music is in a very difficult position across the whole country. You're right that Sheffield gets missed off a lot of tour schedules but that's because there simply isn't the demand that there used to be and that gig promoters are probably sick of losing money! Alongside the fact that rock and 'guitar' music has declined in popularity and quality on a mainstream level while electronic music and 'underground' music has become more popular over time and with the internet and social media etc.

You're right that Sheffield gets missed off a lot of tour schedules but that's because there simply isn't the demand that there used to be and that gig promoters are probably sick of losing money! Alongside the fact that rock and 'guitar' music has declined in popularity and quality on a mainstream level while electronic music and 'underground' music has become more popular over time and with the internet and social media etc.

Are you sure its not because of the "new" Leeds Arena taking all the business?

Yeah I hear you with that. A niche but significantly sized audience, mind you, and growing every year. Live music is in a very difficult position across the whole country. You're right that Sheffield gets missed off a lot of tour schedules but that's because there simply isn't the demand that there used to be and that gig promoters are probably sick of losing money! Alongside the fact that rock and 'guitar' music has declined in popularity and quality on a mainstream level while electronic music and 'underground' music has become more popular over time and with the internet and social media etc.

There are more music festivals, well attended music festivals at that, up and down the country than ever before. Bands need to tour - nobody really makes much money selling records now.

Are you sure its not because of the "new" Leeds Arena taking all the business?

At an arena level- leeda is definitely picking up acts that would have come to shedfielf before it was built. But smaller acts too miss sheffield out, where once ir would have been guaranteed. The octagon forr example used to have a huge amount of acts. Now it has none.