Sheffield has the highest student retention rate after graduation

I studied at Sheffield Hallam and have lived in Sheffield since graduating 14 years ago. Not once have I had a job in Sheffield.

The job market for graduates in Sheffield is terrible and getting worse. I can only repeat what others have said, and that is that many graduates love Sheffield but have to move to Leeds or Nottingham for work.

It has nothing to do with the town centre, or public transport. It is purely because there are better career opportunities for graduates elsewhere

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 10:05 ----------

Also, there is absolutely no chance of commuting to Leeds in 30 minutes!

Totally right- and commuting becomes a real drag (I used to do it to Leeds everyday - door to door was just over 2 hours each way) so people end up moving.

A large part of Sheffield's current issues are based around the fact the City doesn't attract young working people with disposable income I think.

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 13:40 ----------

Let me know what station you're getting on at pal, coz as someone who does commute every day, it ain't Sheffield station.

I second that. It's absolutely rammed!

I think the chances of Channel 4 moving here are very very small. Reading between the lines on that one, it looked very much like a done deal from the start.

I'm pretty focussed on a narrow segment of the IT market, but it's true that for this segment there is less work here than in Leeds.

That said, I've managed to find work in Sheffield now (as a self employed Java Developer) for the past 5 years nearly (one 9 month contract in Leeds, but effectively home based the entire time).

It's not necessarily the case that places that hire me would hire a graduate though, they often have small IT departments, or pressing needs, HSBC for example has a UK recruitment freeze and has had for 18 months at least.

The AMRC is an interesting development though, with McClaren and Boeing moving work here, Jet2 are advertising at the moment as there IT function is moving to Sheffield, SkyBet moved in a few years ago and really shook up the IT market here, and there's plusnet, talk talk, the university, various government projects going on at the moment, big one for DWP and another for MoJ.

And this is just my background knowledge, I'm not actively looking for work at the moment.

Interesting topic. I’m Sheffield born and bred, I’ve spent the last 18 years living and working in Central London. My wife and I have made the decision to move back (she’s not English) to Sheffield, we have a young daughter. Both of us have had to take jobs based outside Sheffield because of the lack of well paid opportunities. So I echo what many have said.

On a separate note, the outlook of the typical Sheffieldier is pretty negative and I notice the difference in reading my local London Internet forum and this. Sheffield’s got many positives from a lifestyle perspective. The city looks a lot better than when I grew up here in the 80’s and early 90’s. I can’t wait to move back in March.

I second that. It's absolutely rammed!

Which may be why almost 100 ram the platform at Dore & Totley to catch the 7.14 for Manchester. However, that's still a small proportion of those moving to work by car and other modes.

Interesting topic. I’m Sheffield born and bred, I’ve spent the last 18 years living and working in Central London. My wife and I have made the decision to move back (she’s not English) to Sheffield, we have a young daughter. Both of us have had to take jobs based outside Sheffield because of the lack of well paid opportunities. So I echo what many have said.

On a separate note, the outlook of the typical Sheffieldier is pretty negative and I notice the difference in reading my local London Internet forum and this. Sheffield’s got many positives from a lifestyle perspective. The city looks a lot better than when I grew up here in the 80’s and early 90’s. I can’t wait to move back in March.

It has many great things- but at the moment, is in a rut and experiencing a lot of problems, which I'm sure you'll discover in your own time.

I don't think the outlook here is negative at all- people just want the City to be better, which is actually very positive, and aren't happy at the way it is being dragged down by certain organisations and policies.

By the way...I hope your house doesn't have trees nearby. Because they'll be gone by March!

cant remember if I've posted this before

https://www.citymetric.com/business/what-s-matter-sheffield-3528

and a response

http://www.thenorthernurbanist.co.uk/indeed-matter-sheffield-response-citymetric/

the sad reality is that Sheffield appears to be a city of graduates toiling away in bars, call centres, and crappy temp office jobs, desperate to work something more substantial. This is a bad situation for everyone, including both graduates and employers. There is a largely untapped graduate job market in Sheffield that employers don’t seem to know exists. This is harming the city’s economy and harming potential profits for companies who could be utilising this workforce.

But I see some tech companies realise the untapped graduate workforce and not just the AMRC. Skybet is just one example

https://skybetcareers.com/our-locations/sheffield

and just maybe we need to shout out more about things like this

https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/2018/01/mclaren-automotive-inaugurates-new-carbon-composites-technology-centre-in-yorkshire-in-true-mclaren-style/

cant remember if I've posted this before

https://www.citymetric.com/business/what-s-matter-sheffield-3528

and a response

http://www.thenorthernurbanist.co.uk/indeed-matter-sheffield-response-citymetric/

the sad reality is that Sheffield appears to be a city of graduates toiling away in bars, call centres, and crappy temp office jobs, desperate to work something more substantial. This is a bad situation for everyone, including both graduates and employers. There is a largely untapped graduate job market in Sheffield that employers don’t seem to know exists. This is harming the city’s economy and harming potential profits for companies who could be utilising this workforce.

But I see some tech companies realise the untapped graduate workforce and not just the AMRC. Skybet is just one example

https://skybetcareers.com/our-locations/sheffield

and just maybe we need to shout out more about things like this

https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/2018/01/mclaren-automotive-inaugurates-new-carbon-composites-technology-centre-in-yorkshire-in-true-mclaren-style/

Interesting stuff- and backs up what everyone seems to be saying anecdotally with evidence.

The bits that struck be were:

"Essentially, there are a large number of people resident in South Yorkshire producing value elsewhere, turning Sheffield into a kind of massive suburb for the wider north."

There are a lot of well-educated and able people in this city who are unable to produce what they could be producing due to a lack of good jobs here.

"If we can work to inspire confidence in the city and make it a more desirable place in the public consciousness, then maybe more companies will be willing to open in Sheffield and maybe some of them will create some knowledge intensive jobs, tapping into the under-utilised graduate market here."

I think there also must be some underlining business rates issues too- I'm sure other cities must present a more welcoming environment for new businesses. I'm not sure much is done on economic level to attract work here.

Many true facts stated in this thread at the lack of graduate jobs but it always surprises me how the subject of people starting up their own businesses never comes up. I’m born and bred in Sheffield and love the city. I recognise it’s flaws but there’s very few other places I’d be happy to live (Manchester would be first choices)

I own my own business which is booming and live a very comfortable life. Maybe I’m lucky but think it’s more to do with hard work, dedication and ambition

Just sayin

Many true facts stated in this thread at the lack of graduate jobs but it always surprises me how the subject of people starting up their own businesses never comes up. I’m born and bred in Sheffield and love the city. I recognise it’s flaws but there’s very few other places I’d be happy to live (Manchester would be first choices)

I own my own business which is booming and live a very comfortable life. Maybe I’m lucky but think it’s more to do with hard work, dedication and ambition

Just sayin

You nay have a good point there. I've grown up in the north where those who went through education alongside me assumed they'd work for a large employer like the Coal Board, British Rail, the Civil Service or a bank. Some worked for small businesses, but very very few would have contemplated setting up on their own. I thought about it but wasn't confident enough to try. My brother went south and has had his own business for 25 years. Where he lives there seems to be more entrepreneurial spirit. It may be changing here, but are enough young people given the encouragement to go it alone, taking the risks of employing others and all the legislation they'll need to comply with to stay solvent. Often long and lonely hours with no money before a breakthrough to success. In my career I saw a lot of hard workers but can't think of many who went on to work for themselves. We may need more like Unisol to do some mentoring.

Edited by 1978
Spelling

You nay have a good point there. I've grown up in the north where those who went through education alongside me assumed they'd work for a large employer like the Coal Board, British Rail, the Civil Service or a bank. Some worked for small businesses, but very very few would have contemplated setting up on their own. I thought about it but wasn't confident enough to try. My brother went south and has had his own business for 25 years. Where he lives there seems to be more entrepreneurial spirit. It may be changing here, but are enough young people given the encouragement to go it alone, taking the risks of employing others and all the legislation they'll need to comply with to stay solvent. Often long and lonely hours with no money before a breakthrough to success. In my career I saw a lot of hard workers but can't think of many who went on to work for themselves. We may need more like Unisol to do some mentoring.

Thanks

A just to add to that, I have loads of friends also in Sheffield who have their own businesses and are doing extremely well so it can be done.

Just sayin

This is partly linked to the point I made in post 34, and the findings in the State of Sheffield reports. Whilst there are people (like yourself) who are setting up businesses and creating jobs, there is a huge dip in the demographic of those people who are most likely to be engaged in this enterprise. They've shipped off to pastures greener.

It's a vicious circle. Plenty of graduates and skilled young people, not enough quality jobs. They want to stay, but many with the get up and go to create opportunities for others have got up and gone, and are busy doing that in London, or Manchester. Then there's a dearth of opportunities in Sheffield for the next round.

Good for you, by the way. I am awe of people who set their own businesses. The work, dedication and risks involved ...I take my hat off to you.

---------- Post added 19-01-2018 at 08:51 ----------

Like I say, they are doing it, just not so much in Sheffield (like your brother). Even entrepreneurs often set up after they've got a bit of experience working for someone else first. If those first jobs are thin on the ground, graduates and other skilled young people move elsewhere to get their foot on the ladder.

Once they're ready to set up business, guess what - they've already put down roots elsewhere, established contacts, know the local economy.