Sheffield has the highest student retention rate after graduation

Leeds in 30 mins, Manchester in 1hr, Liverpool/Birmingham 1.5 hrs and London/Newcastle in 2hrs - there might not be as many graduate jobs in Sheff as we'd like but I'd still say its attractive as a place to live and commute from?

Exactly so - we live in a beautiful city. It's a shame that so many who post on here can't see beyond their nose end and Poundland !

I studied at Sheffield Hallam and have lived in Sheffield since graduating 14 years ago. Not once have I had a job in Sheffield.

The job market for graduates in Sheffield is terrible and getting worse. I can only repeat what others have said, and that is that many graduates love Sheffield but have to move to Leeds or Nottingham for work.

It has nothing to do with the town centre, or public transport. It is purely because there are better career opportunities for graduates elsewhere

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 10:05 ----------

Also, there is absolutely no chance of commuting to Leeds in 30 minutes!

Plus getting to the station and getting wherever you need to be at the other end.

I used to drive it 50mins-1hr first thing and anything from 1hr to 2.5hrs (that was a bad one) on the way back

It can take me that long to drive 8 miles from the south to the north of Sheffield.

And then another 30 minutes to find somewhere to park for my shift despite paying for a parking permit - but that is discussed in great depth on another thread:(

Edited by Daven

Leeds in 30 mins, Manchester in 1hr, Liverpool/Birmingham 1.5 hrs and London/Newcastle in 2hrs - there might not be as many graduate jobs in Sheff as we'd like but I'd still say its attractive as a place to live and commute from?

Leeds isn't 30 minutes even if you live on top of the train station.

I sometimes work in Leeds, from North Sheffield (Wadsley) it takes 1:10 in the early morning (0650) to reach the area of Leeds train station, by car. And car is by far the fastest way of getting there.

Driving to the train station or getting the tram makes the total journey at least 1:30, probably closer to 2:00

Setting off any later makes it 1:30 as well.

Manchester isn't an hour unless you live on top of the train station again. Driving is a total nightmare, probably best to assume 2hrs if you set off at 0630. For me, over 1:30 to use public transport, and I'm only 3 miles from the station.

Birmingham, 1.5hrs when it's quiet, true. I've worked in Birmingham a lot though, so I can tell you that the morning traffic is not quiet. From here, I'd plan for 2.5hrs to the centre, setting off at probably 0600.

Even the 'London' time just on the train is actually 2:07 on the fastest train, and of course you'd have to live in Sheffield station and work in St Pancras station.

I've worked in London as well, I had to stay from Mon - Thu, it's simply not commutable.

Edited by Cyclone

Absolutely right about long distance commuting. Roads can be congested anywhere en route and parking can be difficult.

Going by train there's the time getting to and from a station at each end, waiting for a train that may be delayed, plus having to include parking or taxi charges to the fares.

However, a lot of jobs include options to work from home, or can be done on a train thanks to improving WiFi facilities on many of them (not Northern's buses on rails, of course). I was speaking to someone only this week who uses trains as his office, timing his journeys to get the best WiFi service aboard. He isn't too bothered about an extra 30 minutes here or there, and may take a longer route, as long as his laptop will continue to function.

I've even posted to SF from a train. The world is changing.

From that same source

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 09:51 ----------

Figure 15 is interesting

http://www.centreforcities.org/reader/great-british-brain-drain/migration-students-graduates/#figure-15-the-balance-between-the-loss-of-domiciled-students-against-the-gaining-of-graduates-from-elsewhere-201314--201415

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 09:52 ----------

I see that quite a lot as well, people would like to stay, but they quite often have to leave to find appropriate work.

This is a really interesting article - thanks for posting the link.

Anecdotal I know, but I know may Sheffield graduates who have chosen to stay (myself included). The are more than happy to tolerate the slightly rundown centre, traffic issues and violence in Page Hall (not immediately on their radar for right or wrong) to live in a city they have come to call home, that as others have said, has so many positives.

Also, I don't agree that there are no graduates jobs. In terms of big employers we have HSBC, the NHS, two universities (plus the expanding AMRC of course) plus lots of tech startups to mention a few.

For IT-related jobs, obviously there are not so many options as say, Cambridge, but money goes a lot further here.

If communing to work by train from Sheffield was attractive and feasible then there would literally be thousands of people queued up on the platforms in Sheffield station in the morning. As this is not the case we can deduce that only a tiny minority of the population commute from Sheffield by train, so we can strike that one off the list as a selling point.

The centre for cities published some stats in 2016/17 Sheffield isn't even in the top 10 for retention these days. Manchester (~50%) is 2nd to London, Sheffield is 13th with a retention rate of about 30%.

http://www.centreforcities.org/reader/14524-2/detailed-look-movement-students-graduates/figure-16-retention-rates-uk-city-201314-201415/

Sheffield is 9th in terms of working graduate numbers, 6 months after graduation (1.4% of graduates compared to London's 24.4% and Manchester's 4.5%)

Interesting.

In the last State of Sheffield report I read, a big thing was made dip in the 25 to late 30s population (I think it was more or less that bracket).

What they were saying is that graduates really want to stay on, and many do stay for a little while but eventually leave for better careers opportunities. Then there's a pattern of people coming back again once they'd established themselves, gained experience, had a family. They come back for the better lifestyle and cheaper housing. Not so many jobs, but once you're established, or made your money elsewhere, it's possible to relocate back here and do very nicely.

The problem is, this is the age bracket that tents to create the opportunities, start the companies, create the jobs, so there's a circular effect.

Most of the graduates I know, stayed initially, wanted to stay, but needed to move for career opportunities.

Absolutely. There's so little graduate work here - which is pretty odd when you think that graduates would like to stay. You'd think businesses would be drawn here by that.

But then.....I don't think there's much,if any, encouragement given to entice them here.

If communing to work by train from Sheffield was attractive and feasible then there would literally be thousands of people queued up on the platforms in Sheffield station in the morning. As this is not the case we can deduce that only a tiny minority of the population commute from Sheffield by train, so we can strike that one off the list as a selling point.

Let me know what station you're getting on at pal, coz as someone who does commute every day, it ain't Sheffield station.