Is racism on the increase?

could be a mixture of both

But surely if a hate crime has been committed then the problem isn't with the victim, it's with the perpetrator.

If someone smashed your bedroom window & the police or someone on here said that you were being a bit oversensitive wouldn't you feel ****** off?

---------- Post added 15-01-2018 at 21:05 ----------

could be a mixture of both . Missed your edit . Lets say , you say something to me which I find offensive and report it . It may not constitute a crime but it is still logged down

That's right, and sometimes hate crimes are not reported as a hate crime by the victim, nor recorded as a hate crime by the police either.

Edited by Mister M

Hate crime is defined as ‘any criminal offence which is perceived, by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice towards someone based on a personal characteristic'. This common definition was agreed in 2007 by the police, Crown Prosecution Service, Prison Service (now the National Offender Management Service) and other agencies that make up the criminal justice system. However, there are only five centrally monitored strands of hate crime: race or ethnicity; religion or religious beliefs; sexual orientation; disability; and gender identity.

The police should record crimes as hate crimes if the victim mentions that the offender was motivated by one of the five strands mentioned above. Those hate crimes recorded by the 44 police forces of England and Wales are then supplied to the Home Office who compile the resulting statistics.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/reportingofhatecrime

---------- Post added 15-01-2018 at 22:04 ----------

However people, especially politicians, should be very careful in condemning such 'attacks' on 'victims' without the full facts.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42695319

I was thinking about this question earlier today.

I know five people who are of Indian extraction, three of whom are UK born.

Three I like as people, and would happily spend time chatting to...

One I dislike, and the other I dislike intensely.

Now does that make me a racist?

In my opinion, no.

There can't be a soul on earth that likes everybody!

A few years ago I worked for a company that maintained IT services for a certain sector, and was warned never to send an Indian engineer to a Pakistani customer...or vice versa.

I soon discovered the reason for the advice.

If you want to witness racism, there you have it.

Edited by RiffRaff

Its always been there but at the moment its populist, people have slowly being turning inward and less tolerant of others.

With the likes of the wars in Syria and Iraq etc and the subsequent migrations, and the upsurge in terrorism, people like Donald trump, UKIP, the daily mail etc managed to turn the tide in their favour, so it has grown a little bit and out of the shadows.

Err....ok !

I was thinking about this question earlier today.

I know five people who are of Indian extraction, three of which are UK born.

Three I like as people, and would happily spend time chatting to...

One I dislike, and the other I dislike intensely.

Now does that make me a racist?

In my opinion, no.

There can't be a soul on earth that likes everybody!

A few years ago I worked for a company that maintained IT services for a certain sector, and was warned never to send an Indian engineer to a Pakistani customer...or vice versa.

I soon discovered the reason for the advice.

If you want to witness racism, there you have it.

The Pakistani/indian hatred thing is not due to racism as both are the same ethnic race. :hihi:

Not all Pakistanis hate indians or vice versa so I think your wrong there.

I remember many years ago, visiting a friend on the Norfolk Park, where a number of Vietnamese 'boat people' had been placed in houses.

Parking up, Vietnamese woman comes running out of her council house, saying I was parked on HER front. Bear in mind we're talking about street parking, next to the grass verge. An argument ensued, voices raised & my friends came out. The parking issue was one of a number of problems that had arisen since the woman & her family moved in. My friends had already reported the family to SCC for making excessive noise late at night & the woman had been told this.

Anyway, parking argument continued but nothing untowards was said until Vietnamese woman threatened to stab wife of my friend. So police were called.

On police arrival, first words out of Vietnamese woman's mouth, "They being racist to me! What you going to do about them?" Although no racial comments were directed to her.

Luckily police officers didn't believe her. Talk about knowing how to immediately play the race card.

I can't talk about whether it's on the increase as I've not done any research on stats.

However, some parts of the human race really aren't helping themselves and their relationship with others.

The big one is the 'safe space' debacle in American colleges/universities. The fact that someone should receive special treatment based on race (and gender, but that's a story for another thread) because someone says something they don't like and should be able to hide from it.

Also, the cases where non-white students are demanding to take exams outside of the exam room because it's racist to make them sit with the other white students.

And don't get me started on the whole 'cultural appropriation' thing!!! Apparently, it's racist for a white person to open a Mexican restaurant.

But, as many of the Black Lives Matter participants seem to think... you can't be racist if it's against a white person. This is 'reverse racism', but it doesn't actually exist.

Oh come on, all racists voted Leave? Sadiq Khan definately voted Remain, he can't stop banging on about it. Loads of anti semites voted Remain too.

Luton anyone? Well I suppose the 'racists' of the UK come in all shapes, colours & creeds. There was also sizable Asian vote to leave the EU in Birmingham, Leicester & the old Mill towns of Greater Manchester.

https://www.politico.eu/article/immigrants-who-voted-for-brexit-luton-migration/

I can't talk about whether it's on the increase as I've not done any research on stats.

However, some parts of the human race really aren't helping themselves and their relationship with others.

The big one is the 'safe space' debacle in American colleges/universities. The fact that someone should receive special treatment based on race (and gender, but that's a story for another thread) because someone says something they don't like and should be able to hide from it.

Also, the cases where non-white students are demanding to take exams outside of the exam room because it's racist to make them sit with the other white students.

And don't get me started on the whole 'cultural appropriation' thing!!! Apparently, it's racist for a white person to open a Mexican restaurant.

But, as many of the Black Lives Matter participants seem to think... you can't be racist if it's against a white person. This is 'reverse racism', but it doesn't actually exist.

It shows.....