Ripped off by SF user

Guest makapaka

I’ve also not been asked and wouldn’t agree to it.

If they can’t fund it and you want to use them then the best option would be to agree stage payments based on progress to help their cash flow - or as I said previously - buybthe materials yourself and get someone else in to do the job if they don’t perform.

Never heard of credit accounts? Its easy to get one if you deal with the same companies,I am a one man band but manage no up front payments and sometimes have to wait to be paid,its how things are.

I supply materials up to a set amount but after that deposit is needed ,I've been ripped off by customers and have learnt the hard way that's my terms of business ,and is clearly stated when I quote if deposits are needed, I'm not here to finance other ppls building work I'm here to do it ,

In my mind credit isn't a good thing ,if you can't afford it either save for it or don't get it done end of.This country is multi trillon pounds worth of debt ,most of which is on credit cards ,we survived before them an will if they disappeared from the earth ,it would go back to the age of saving then spending

I had one customer wanting me to fund a £30k kitchen refurb before paying well,even the big companies take deposits , so do I ,if you haven't been caught yet you're lucky

Edited by AnthonyTapp

Guest makapaka
I supply materials up to a set amount but after that deposit is needed ,I've been ripped off by customers and have learnt the hard way that's my terms of business ,and is clearly stated when I quote if deposits are needed, I'm not here to finance other ppls building work I'm here to do it ,

In my mind credit isn't a good thing ,if you can't afford it either save for it or don't get it done end of.This country is multi trillon pounds worth of debt ,most of which is on credit cards ,we survived before them an will if they disappeared from the earth ,it would go back to the age of saving then spending

I had one customer wanting me to fund a £30k kitchen refurb before paying well,even the big companies take deposits , so do I ,if you haven't been caught yet you're lucky

If you were doing a £30k kitchen it would be better to agree stage payments - it would stop you having to justify up front payments and both you and the customer would be reassured in terms of payment.

If you were doing a £30k kitchen it would be better to agree stage payments - it would stop you having to justify up front payments and both you and the customer would be reassured in terms of payment.

Last time I checked taking a deposit or first payment before starting work was up front ,this is my point saying a blanket no payment before finishing ,isn't how it's done there are many ways ,how ever you want to call it ,deposit or stage payments or what ever it's all the same thing of not paying all at the end after finishing

I don't find it unusual to be asked for a deposit for a large job, nor for staged payments as the work progresses.

I certainly wouldn't pay a huge amount up front though, 10 - 20 % of the total cost should be sufficient to get the work started, and then as work progresses both parties can have more confidence.

For smaller jobs I wouldn't expect to pay anything up front though.

Why anyone would choose to use a tradesman found on an internet forum is beyond me. I would only ever use tradesmen who have been recommended to me personally by people I trust, not by invisible people on the internet who might not be genuine. Still, some folk are a bit daft like that.

This forum used to be full of good trade people who regularly got recommend but slowly they seem to have disappeared ,joiner Andy,Jeff the joiner to name 2

Why anyone would choose to use a tradesman found on an internet forum is beyond me. I would only ever use tradesmen who have been recommended to me personally by people I trust, not by invisible people on the internet who might not be genuine. Still, some folk are a bit daft like that.

Yes, I agree with you. Also it’s better if the tradesman is a member of an organisation e.g. a plumber under GasSafe.

Yes, I agree with you. Also it’s better if the tradesman is a member of an organisation e.g. a plumber under GasSafe.

Thats what i will be recommending to S/F, all tradesmen wanting work have to publish there trade organisation number when posting.

Thats what i will be recommending to S/F, all tradesmen wanting work have to publish there trade organisation number when posting.

Some people on here are not members of any trade organisation but they do a very good job for a good price

Some people on here are not members of any trade organisation but they do a very good job for a good price

Yes, that is true. However, plumbers working with gas and electricians have to be registered and pass exams for safety reasons eg: carbon monoxide emissions etc;

Yes, that is true. However, plumbers working with gas and electricians have to be registered and pass exams for safety reasons eg: carbon monoxide emissions etc;

beat me to it