Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

On most contracts like this the Stats (Gas ,Water, Leccy etc) are given advance notice that any planned works they have needs to be done prior to the resurfacing taking place after that they are not allowed access for planned works for an agreed timescale ,unfortunately if they have an emergency like a leak or broken cable they have to be allowed to dig. I think one of the problems is that the heavy and vibrating equipment used in the resurfacing process often causes problems with the old and decaying underground stats equipment and leaks etc. occur. Also its not unknown for stats to manufacture emergencies to get around the no dig scenario ,takes a brave man to tell, the gas board say, that they cant dig a hole to deal with a gas leak just because the road was only done last week .

I take your point, but what gets me is that the standard of repairs range from excellent to terrible, and where they are bad, nothing is done to put them right. Surely this should never have arisen if the utilities had been forced to adhere to certain standards at the outset of the contract?

I take your point, but what gets me is that the standard of repairs range from excellent to terrible, and where they are bad, nothing is done to put them right. Surely this should never have arisen if the utilities had been forced to adhere to certain standards at the outset of the contract?

The standards that statutory undertakers have to reinstate to are nothing to do with the Amey contract. They are national standards. Those standards aren't all that good, so the stats can get away with what you and I might think are sub-standard reinstatements, because they do actually comply with the required standards and there's nothing the Council can do about it.

If you see something you think is bad, complain to the Council. They will check it out and let you know.

I suspected that something like that might be the case. All I can say is that the standards must be very low or the utilities have different ideas on what the standards are, or more likely do the minimum to get away with.

One would have thought that with the huge amount of money this is costing, and the fact (as you point out) that there is a disparity in the standards laid down between the road surfacing and the inevitable repairs, someone might have thought about it. Ah well, that's bureaucracy.

I take your point, but what gets me is that the standard of repairs range from excellent to terrible, and where they are bad, nothing is done to put them right.

It's less than a year since Hathersage Road out to Fox House, Stony Ridge Road and Owler Bar Road were resurfaced. One stretch of Owler Bar Road has had to be redone at least twice since, and several other sections have been redone already.

That suggests to me that there are known quality issues and I can quite understand if Amey may have refused to pay bills until full remedial action is taken, be it for those sections or any others. Inevitably any dispute of that kind with a sub-contractor will delay the scheduled completion of the work.

The common denominator I've noticed in many of the poorly completed stretches is that they were done at night. That causes less disruption to traffic, but may not be getting us the quality of surface we need.

Out in the sticks where there is no pavement or kerb stones, the road surface is now so high and narrow that you can't get two cars passing without one having to drop off the edge. There have been cases of this resulting in vans tipping over on their sides. Amey should've maintained the width of the road, and taken off enough depth of old surface to keep the levels the same, instead of going for the cheapest option.

This sounds pretty dangerous: are there any pictures / news reports of this happening?

Ours scheduled middle to late July, no notices no nothing. S12

They were round patching yesterday so either the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing or it's been delayed significantly from the July date.

Amen are not insolvent so that's not correct.

Amey Hallam Highways Ltd (company number 08121168 ) had a total net worth of minus £ 19,365,000 as of latest available accounts dated 31/12/15.

Sounds pretty insolvent to me...

The holding company is Amey Hallam Highways Holdings Ltd (08121070 ).

Shareholders in that co. are Amey Ventures Asset Holdings Ltd , Equitix Highways 2 Ltd and Aberdeen Infrastructure Investments (No.5) Ltd...

The rabbit hole goes a lot further than that. But the buck stops at the first company - none of the other companies up the chain will be held responsible for any collapse...

I do wish the STAR would pull their finger out and do some proper research into this....

I have been banging on about this for years now - hopefully it will all pan out OK - but I do suspect our dear council have had their pants pulled down by greater minds...

Edited by Goooooogle
spelling

I'm not sure what the underlying point here is? You were replying to a comment saying that PFI was strangling the NHS.

Under Labour, 90% of all hospital construction was funded by PFI agreements, but somehow you laid the blame with the Tories still?

Yes, the Conservatives initiated the first PFI scheme (a bridge), but Labour not only continued with PFI but vastly expanded it.

If you believe that the NHS is being strangled by PFIs, don't you think that Labour should shoulder the majority of the blame? The inventor of the gun doesn't get the blame when somebody else uses it.

Yes I think the labour gov should shoulder some of the blame. I hope you agree that the Tories should too in carrying this on

Amey Hallam Highways Ltd (company number 08121168 ) had a total net worth of minus £ 19,365,000 as of latest available accounts dated 31/12/15.

Sounds pretty insolvent to me...

The holding company is Amey Hallam Highways Holdings Ltd (08121070 ).

Shareholders in that co. are Amey Ventures Asset Holdings Ltd , Equitix Highways 2 Ltd and Aberdeen Infrastructure Investments (No.5) Ltd...

The rabbit hole goes a lot further than that. But the buck stops at the first company - none of the other companies up the chain will be held responsible for any collapse...

They might, if there are Deeds of Guarantee.

Its more than likely that a lender providing borrowing facilities to a number of inter connected companies would have taken an unlimited multi lateral guarantee under which each of the members of the group of companies would be liable for the debts of the others with no ceiling amount, this would prevent the scenario mentioned above

Our road was due to be started work on the 20th July , nothing done. Amey workmen came round last night took all signs off street lights n feked off. nuff sed.