Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

Maybe the key are intermediaries.

We give our money to central govt, they give it out to council and council orders works.

We finance it but have no control over it. And those who have are in public, not private sector.

Your elected representatives have control over it at central government, the council and the PTE.

It's not that long ago (five years) that my job took me to all those cities regularly. They certainly were not as bad a Sheffield is now!

Cardiff, the capital city of Wales, has far better roads than Sheffield and certainly more traffic.

Cardiff is smaller than Sheffield and has far less traffic in my 30 odd years of going there - parents moved there in 1977 - brother still lives there. Ever followed the signposted road from the City Centre east to the M4 via the A48? Floods if there's a shower - plenty of pot holes. Ever driven round Splott, Grangetown etc. And the Welsh "government" is massively subsidised by the rest of the country and they've chucked millions at Cardiff's infrastructure - not a lot else at the rest of Wales though.

Have encountered bad roads in every City in this country I've been to - including big pot holes on ring road in Coventry, Leeds on the road to J3 of M621, half of Brum, A57 at Denton on way into Manchester, most of Liverpool.

Cardiff is smaller than Sheffield and has far less traffic in my 30 odd years of going there - parents moved there in 1977 - brother still lives there. Ever followed the signposted road from the City Centre east to the M4 via the A48? Floods if there's a shower - plenty of pot holes. Ever driven round Splott, Grangetown etc. And the Welsh "government" is massively subsidised by the rest of the country and they've chucked millions at Cardiff's infrastructure - not a lot else at the rest of Wales though.

Have encountered bad roads in every City in this country I've been to - including big pot holes on ring road in Coventry, Leeds on the road to J3 of M621, half of Brum, A57 at Denton on way into Manchester, most of Liverpool.

I regularly drive the A48 to the M4.

Mostly a 50mph speed limit...a short section of 30mph through Castleton...and another short section restricted to 40 mph.

Yes, I do know the road.

Never seen a pothole or flooding.

Have you ever left the M1 at Meadowhall.

As soon as you cross the viaduct heading towards wincobank, shiregreen, and beyond, it's a constant battle to avoid the potholes.

Stop talking nonsense.

50 years of red Sheffield wasting transport budget on subsidising bus operators, instead of investing in infrastructure

I love the 'welcome to Sheffield' jolt as soon as you cross the border from Derbyshire

It wasn't wasting money. You had a reliable frequent bus service and you didn't need cars so you left them at home.

Less traffic less damage to roads less pollution.

Roads were maintained properly as the companies were in public hands and the profit margin didn't have to be considered.

So when the road got dug up by say gas or water when they fixed it you saw a huge bloody roller instead these little didly things that don't compress the new surface properly. Hence the road sinking and breaking up easily these days.

We reported a road outside our works which is full of potholes after an incident with a forklift truck.

Amey sent a team to fill in a few holes on the road and the team turned around and said someone else would have to come as they were the small hole team and not the deep hole team, I kid you not.

It was like a something out of a Two Ronnies sketch or so I am told.

It wasn't wasting money. You had a reliable frequent bus service and you didn't need cars so you left them at home.

Less traffic less damage to roads less pollution.

Roads were maintained properly as the companies were in public hands and the profit margin didn't have to be considered.

So when the road got dug up by say gas or water when they fixed it you saw a huge bloody roller instead these little didly things that don't compress the new surface properly. Hence the road sinking and breaking up easily these days.

Got to agree with this.

I cant see how this constant "quick patch up" jobs male sense or are cost effective they never seem to last very long and are regularly re-repaired.

Apart from the fact that Norton Lees is one of the last areas scheduled for resurfacing and other improvements, and that my road is not getting the attention to the recurring potholes it used to, I'm also concerned about the quality of resurfacing work which has actually been done.

There are at least two quite deep depressions in the tarmac on the Woodseats side of the bridge on Woodseats Road, and some breaking up of the road surface in places on Scarsdale Road.

Both were completely resurfaced last year - not exactly impressive given the reasonably mild winter and the fact that this one has barely started. :o

Scarsdale road wasn't redone last year. Pretty sure Woodseats wasn't either.

However the work done wasn't good enough as in probably all cases the base needs relaying not just the top layers due to the previous poor quality work by private utils.

So any work Amy is doing probably won't last more than two years.

Scarsdale road wasn't redone last year. Pretty sure Woodseats wasn't either.

Well, that's the best my memory and the Master Program website linked to in a previous reply can manage between them.

Whatever - they and presumably many others will need substantial repairs before the initial 5 year program has even completed, which was surely not part of the original plan?

I regularly drive the A48 to the M4.

Mostly a 50mph speed limit...a short section of 30mph through Castleton...and another short section restricted to 40 mph.

Yes, I do know the road.

Never seen a pothole or flooding.

Have you ever left the M1 at Meadowhall.

As soon as you cross the viaduct heading towards wincobank, shiregreen, and beyond, it's a constant battle to avoid the potholes.

Stop talking nonsense.

Cardiff taxi drivers and MP would appear to disagree with you :cool:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/cardiffs-cabbies-drawn-up-hitlist-8771966

http://www.craig-williams.org.uk/pothole-watch

Drive round Roath, Splott, Grangetown - it'd be pretty similar to Wincobank and Shiregreen.

It's not that long ago (five years) that my job took me to all those cities regularly. They certainly were not as bad a Sheffield is now!

Cardiff, the capital city of Wales, has far better roads than Sheffield and certainly more traffic.

I drive these cities on a weekly basis, every where is the same.

Last week aggregate industries (who are doing the resurfacing for amey) gave notice to end their contract with Amey due to non payment running into hundreds of thousands, the non payment covers materials (tarmac!) & subcontract costs. Aggregate industries have agreed to complete the surfacing on roads where already removed but no new surface removal will take place.... amey have been given 2 weeks to either pay up or find a new contractor.