The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Not true.

UK trade with the EU is around 40% and has been declining sharply for years. Moreover, the EU has a substantial trading deficit with the UK, making the UK proportionately important to the EU than vice versa.

As a technologically advanced north Atlantic island with millennias of maritime trading history the UK is almost uniquely placed to benefit from international trade opportunities.

By contrast, the EU proportion of world trade had been in decline for some years. Even the Antarctic has better growth than the EU.

Why are the UK desperate to get a trade deal with the EU if they need you more than you need them,the EU appears to be in no particular hurry.

Why are the UK desperate to get a trade deal with the EU if they need you more than you need them,the EU appears to be in no particular hurry.

I don't see the UK looking desperate in the negotiations. Please point us to these desperate concessions.

I don't see the UK looking desperate in the negotiations. Please point us to these desperate concessions.

You haven't walked away and saved billions.

The top 1% of UK earners pay 30% of UK tax. Please tell us how much more tax Mr Corbyn should make your "wealthy elite" pay to achieve your rebalancing.

Dog whistle.........again

The top 1% pay 30% of income tax. Income tax is about 30% of total HMRC revenue.

The income tax from the top 1% is 9% of total HMRC revenue

Please be accurate in future

Not true.

UK trade with the EU is around 40% and has been declining sharply for years. Moreover, the EU has a substantial trading deficit with the UK, making the UK proportionately important to the EU than vice versa.

As a technologically advanced north Atlantic island with millennias of maritime trading history the UK is almost uniquely placed to benefit from international trade opportunities.

By contrast, the EU proportion of world trade had been in decline for some years. Even the Antarctic has better growth than the EU.

Trade hasn't been declining sharply for years, in fact trade has been growing quite steadily for years, it is just that other trading partners are becoming increasingly bigger as well. There is a very obvious reason for that - the rise of China and the enormous amount of cheap goods we import from there. On the other hand there is an important 'luxury goods' market in China that the UK is tapping into.

One of the biggest shortcomings in your point is that the majority of UK exports and imports with the EU is service based. A large proportion of that is financial services. That is the golden trade chip and it is the EU that holds it.

I can't recall precisely how often I have raised the issue of passporting, but I don't mind raising it again. The UK economy is set to make a tumble in the service sector and a rise in the manufacturing sector IF the pound crashes and wages drop. The silver lining - London loses, the North wins.

Trade hasn't been declining sharply for years, in fact trade has been growing quite steadily for years, it is just that other trading partners are becoming increasingly bigger as well. There is a very obvious reason for that - the rise of China and the enormous amount of cheap goods we import from there. On the other hand there is an important 'luxury goods' market in China that the UK is tapping into.

One of the biggest shortcomings in your point is that the majority of UK exports and imports with the EU is service based. A large proportion of that is financial services. That is the golden trade chip and it is the EU that holds it.

I can't recall precisely how often I have raised the issue of passporting, but I don't mind raising it again. The UK economy is set to make a tumble in the service sector and a rise in the manufacturing sector IF the pound crashes and wages drop. The silver lining - London loses, the North wins.

Hold on.....you can’t be arguing that being in the EU doesn’t prevent us from importing cheap goods from China can you?

Last time I checked the price of white goods and electronics was probably the lowest it has ever been relative to wages.

Hold on.....you can’t be arguing that being in the EU doesn’t prevent us from importing cheap goods from China can you?

Last time I checked the price of white goods and electronics was probably the lowest it has ever been relative to wages.

Surely that would be blasphemy.

Speaking of things 'golden', another shortcoming in ENG' earlier post is that the UK's trade with the EU is about 50%, not 40%.

The magic expression to input in Google in that context, is 'gold trading' (...which is a London-based service).

Edited by L00b

I'd make the observation that for most of those millennia our biggest and essentially only trade partner was Europe. When we moved to trading with the rest of the world the bulk of that trade was with the half we invaded and that trade required the British army and navy.

I'm not sure that in this case past performance is a reliable indicator of future performance.

I'd make the observation that for most of those millennia our biggest and essentially only trade partner was Europe. When we moved to trading with the rest of the world the bulk of that trade was with the half we invaded and that trade required the British army and navy.

I'm not sure that in this case past performance is a reliable indicator of future performance.

I missed him saying that. Funny how, despite being a maritime nation the number of TEUs being moved in the UK is well below that of... euhmmmm Belgium?

I've raised this point before - the UK has a proud maritime history, compared to other nations around the North Sea it has an underdeveloped shipping industry, the majority of the ports are too small and can't cope with the huge numbers required.

--------

Ah, the EU is celebrating the social pillar, the foundation under the principles of Europe and why the EU was formed. Of course, this is completely at odds with the capitalist, exploitative nature of the EU, but perhaps some people have got that bit slightly wrong.

Edited by tzijlstra

You haven't walked away and saved billions.

You're not making any sense, you'll have to explain why not walking away and saving billions is the UK looking desperate in the negotiations.

You're not making any sense, you'll have to explain why not walking away and saving billions is the UK looking desperate in the negotiations.

How would it save billions? In the long run we would have to rebuild trust in us, after spending the short and medium term as a country that could not be trusted to meet its obligations. The impact of that could be incalculable. And that short and medium term would be when we’d need to be building relationships and signing deals.

As always your masters are several steps ahead. The idea of a unilateral abolition of tariffs lays the groundwork for a no deal walk away. And that no deal situation and unilateral abolition of tariffs creates the maximum possible economic chaos both in the U.K. and globally, and creates the maximum possible opportunities for the disaster capitalists (and foreign governments) who are driving and paying for the hard Brexit propaganda.

You don’t have to decide whether you are Putin’s poodle or the plaything of a bent billionaire. You can be both.