The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Trade hasn't been declining sharply for years, in fact trade has been growing quite steadily for years, it is just that other trading partners are becoming increasingly bigger as well.

Not true.

As I said, UK trade with the EU is about 40% and had been declining for years.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03336/Capture_3336133b.jpg

Best not to try a second time to argue that one by trying to switch the discussion to quantity or £'s.;)

Inflation and consumption are not going to help you argue that the EU is in decline as a trading bloc. The only trading bloc in decline in fact. Of course the EU is a useful economic resource for UK PLC but it isn't the only one and it is most certainly not the only way to succeed. The referendum was crystal clear and it's done, it's time to go forward with the opportunity presented, not navel gaze about an imaginary Elysium.

---------- Post added 19-11-2017 at 12:15 ----------

How would it save billions? .

I don't know, ask chalga. Do keep up old chap.

You're not making any sense, you'll have to explain why not walking away and saving billions is the UK looking desperate in the negotiations.

Because they've said that they need us more than we need them,yet they are still at the table wanting a trade deal,that the EU are in no hurry to talk about,and that will cost them billions,billions they could save by proving that 'they need us more than we need them'..........that looks desperate,if the EU is not the only way to succeed,why waste billions on them?

Edited by chalga

The top 1% of UK earners pay 30% of UK tax. Please tell us how much more tax Mr Corbyn should make your "wealthy elite" pay to achieve your rebalancing.

Could start by clamping down on corporate tax avoidance.

Rich individuals get lots of benefits by living in UK, drive on roads repaired by the state, employ workmen and service people, who were educated at taxpayers expense and are kept healthy by the NHS at taxpayer# expense. They are protected by state sanctioned laws, call the tax funded police service in to keep them safe paid for by the tax payer, ditto fire brigade, and Ambulance service. They are treated for illness by medication which in large part has been provided by scientific research paid for by taxation. I could go on.

If the 1% rich don’t want to enjoy the benefits of a safe and decent society they could always move elsewhere.

I suspect though instead they will continue to invest in employing creative accountants and continue to move their assets off shore

Not true.

As I said, UK trade with the EU is about 40% and had been declining for years.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03336/Capture_3336133b.jpg

Best not to try a second time to argue that one by trying to switch the discussion to quantity or £'s.;)

That is exactly the chart I knew you'd bring up. Now ask yourself - as a percentage of the total value - if the total value of global trade is sharply increasing (which it has done, quite surprising considering the EU is apparently blocking UK trade?) then would the percentage of EU-UK trade decline as part of the total?

Your stat just proves how daft Brexit is, the UK has seen an increase in foreign trade for decades now. That is as part of the EU. All hard Brexit is going to achieve is a decline in trade with its main-partner. Whoever thinks that is a good idea is likely to tell their boss that they don't come in tomorrow because they've got a paper-round now.

---------- Post added 19-11-2017 at 14:30 ----------

Could start by clamping down on corporate tax avoidance.

To UK dependencies.

Fortunately the EU is doing just that, interesting that they are moving on it now the UK has decided to shoot itself in the foot and lose influence.

That is exactly the chart I knew you'd bring up. Now ask yourself - as a percentage of the total value - if the total value of global trade is sharply increasing (which it has done, quite surprising considering the EU is apparently blocking UK trade?) then would the percentage of EU-UK trade decline as part of the total?

Your stat just proves how daft Brexit is, the UK has seen an increase in foreign trade for decades now. That is as part of the EU. All hard Brexit is going to achieve is a decline in trade with its main-partner. Whoever thinks that is a good idea is likely to tell their boss that they don't come in tomorrow because they've got a paper-round now.

---------- Post added 19-11-2017 at 14:30 ----------

To UK dependencies.

Fortunately the EU is doing just that, interesting that they are moving on it now the UK has decided to shoot itself in the foot and lose influence.

Isn't Verhofstadt too old for a paper round?

Isn't Verhofstadt too old for a paper round?

Yes he is, fortunately his workers' rights are protected, so he doesn't have to go on a paper-round. It'll be you doing that post-Brexit dear Peter.

I'll have my Guardian on Friday and Saturday and the FT on Saturday only, thanks.

Yes he is, fortunately his workers' rights are protected, so he doesn't have to go on a paper-round. It'll be you doing that post-Brexit dear Peter.

I'll have my Guardian on Friday and Saturday and the FT on Saturday only, thanks.

Explains a lot.

I'm retired dim it'll be you delivering my paper, if you are still here.

Explains a lot.

I'm retired dim it'll be you delivering my paper, if you are still here.

Your pension won’t survive my dear fellow. No worries, I’ll give you a loaf of bread for clearing the leaves and washing the cars.

Your pension won’t survive my dear fellow. No worries, I’ll give you a loaf of bread for clearing the leaves and washing the cars.

In which case if you are still here neither will yours, how dim can you get, I'll put you down on the toilet cleaning list.

In which case if you are still here neither will yours, how dim can you get, I'll put you down on the toilet cleaning list.

Keep quipping pal, I’m sure that’s what Greek pensioners did as well. I hope you still have the faculty to make a living, but fear the worst.

Keep quipping pal, I’m sure that’s what Greek pensioners did as well. I hope you still have the faculty to make a living, but fear the worst.

You mean the Greek pensioners who were robbed due to the EU? nice one dim.

You mean the Greek pensioners who were robbed due to the EU? nice one dim.

The Greek pensioners that kept voting for a government that lied to them on a continuous basis. See the parallel yet?