Should there be a ban on buying more than one property

A while ago there was a documentary on television about how young people feel disenfranchised by the older generations. I had no idea that people felt like this and was shocked and saddened by their anger. In fact I had to switch off because it was distressing. Maybe the OP's anger is not so unusual.

I can understand why mrcharlie feels like this because these people are giving him their problem time after time and he is powerless to do anything about it. He should not feel guilty about it - you cannot choose your birthdate.

Years ago, young people would stay at home and save up to get married. These days the tendency is to move in together and have children early in the relationship with no thought for the future. Could this have a bearing on the fact that they cannot get onto the property ladder?

Just my two penneth.

I too dislike the buy to rent disease that currently prevails. My solution: introduce a tax on second and subsequent properties to make it financially unattractive to peruse this method of earning a living rather than do a proper job. This would initially flood the market and possibly result in a decrease in property prices. Result! The availability of reasonably priced properties would take so many people out of the rent trap and into private ownership.

That's precisely my view too.

Slightly off topic, but somewhat relevant I think?

I know of someone who had a large payout from a work injury.

He's quit work and purchased numerous properties. He's not even 35 yet. And as for his life changing injuries, miraculously he's made a full recovery!!

Both he and his partner (who's never worked and has numerous kids by previous relationships) now simply cruise around in the RR Sport like they're some kind of celebs!!

It's nothing to do with jealousy, it's frustration of the lack of morals and principles that greed develops.

The whole "easy life" approach in Britain today is a bad thing. We've elected to go it alone out of the EU, yet half the country (so it seems) can't be arsed to stand on their own 2 damn feet!!

It's greed, pure and simple.

Edited by mrcharlie

Along with the house I live in, I rent out 2 properties, both were wrecks when I bought them. Both 2 bedroom and in decent areas. I have long term tenants in both. Any issues are promptly dealt with and boiler and CH cover is included in the rent. I charge £400 and £425 in rent, lower than some council properties.

I had nothing until I got a decent job at 25 years old, my parents have nothing whatsoever.

Am I scum a parasite or both?

That's precisely my view too.

Slightly off topic, but somewhat relevant I think?

I know of someone who had a large payout from a work injury.

He's quit work and purchased numerous properties. He's not even 35 yet. And as for his life changing injuries, miraculously he's made a full recovery!!

Both he and his partner (who's never worked and has numerous kids by previous relationships) now simply cruise around in the RR Sport like they're some kind of celebs!!

It's nothing to do with jealousy, it's frustration of the lack of morals and principles that greed develops.

The whole "easy life" approach in Britain today is a bad thing. We've elected to go it alone out of the EU, yet half the country (so it seems) can't be arsed to stand on their own 2 damn feet!!

It's greed, pure and simple.

What about people who need to rent, maybe for work reasons they need to live somewhere else for 6 months or so..what would they do for accommodation in your world where private landlords won't exist?

What about people who need to rent, maybe for work reasons they need to live somewhere else for 6 months or so..what would they do for accommodation in your world where private landlords won't exist?

Sorry, I honestly don't know.

Maybe their employer/contractor could get large tax rebates to fund hotel lodgings??

It's a valid point that you raised - but the exploitation of normal long stay tenants needs to be addressed. Maybe detailed short term letting would be the answer in the scenario you gave?

Edited by mrcharlie

Maybe all that would happen is rents would rise to cover the extra tax? Or do you reckon landlords wouldn't pass it on to the tennant?

You'd have your head in the clouds if you thought the landlord wouldn't immediately pass on any extra cost onto their tenants.

Sorry, I honestly don't know.

Maybe their employer/contractor could get large tax rebates to fund hotel lodgings??

It's a valid point that you raised - but the exploitation of normal long stay tenants needs to be addressed. Maybe detailed short term letting would be the answer in the scenario you gave?

Who'd provide it?

Can you believe that I am now the only person in my dept at work that owns their own home? There used to be 3 of us, but 2 left. Now all my colleagues are forced to rent.....and each and everyone totally hates it!!

How unfair and unjust is that!

I have 2 younger brothers that have also been forced to rent. Then the viscous cycle begins. They are trapped, never will they be able to save thanks to the downright greedy landlords. The Gov't should sort this problem out. Whichever party pledged to scrap buy to let would get my vote.

I hate the parasitic leeches. Most have either inherited, bought prior to the property boom or had some other good fortune to start them off....and then they just assume they should have a surplus pot of money rolling in each month, plus the poor sod is paying the property mortgage off for them. They then walk off into the sunset on the sheer misery and unhappiness of the wretched souls who are forced to bow to their demands.

About time the whole 2nd home ownership was taxed 90%....to hell with them!!

Viscous cycle?

Are they stuck in this position?