Should there be a ban on buying more than one property

I agree up to a point.

House prices are falling if that's any consolation, and quite a few are available in Sheffield at approx 4 x the average wage, which is about the same ratio I first bought at, back in the 70's.

However our first home was a wreck and in a rough area. We had second hand furniture and orange boxes as bedside tables. But it didn't matter and we had fun doing it up. These days kids seem to want it all, straight away.

Also remember a second property is a pension plan for many people since the pension market crashed and interest rates on savings fell to almost 0%

You hit the nail on the head.....Pension!

So, how do the tenants get round the pension problem too?

I guess your answer is "that's their problem" right??

And therein lies the problem.....greed. You've just contradicted yourself by saying they all want it now! Yet your doing exactly that with your pension pot 20-30yrs before you even hit retirement age!

Again, it comes down to greed

Money, or the love of it really is the most revolting thing on earth, it drives one man to to make another suffer a life of misery and for what, so that he lie awake at night knowing he's got a safe passage to his death...because that's exactly what it boils down too.

I've seen first hand exactly how repulsive greed can be. But fact is one day you will be on your deathbed gasping the last few breaths and in that split second as you exit this world for the next the realisation of just how pointless money - or greed is what it really is - will make you reflect on not just a wasted life but hopefully others lives you consumed along the way.

Greed - a revolting disease

And therein lies the problem.....greed. You've just contradicted yourself by saying they all want it now! Yet your doing exactly that with your pension pot 20-30yrs before you even hit retirement age!

Money, or the love of it really is the most revolting thing on earth, it drives one man to to make another suffer a life of misery and for what, so that he lie awake at night knowing he's got a safe passage to his death...because that's exactly what it boils down too.

I've seen first hand exactly how repulsive greed can be. But fact is one day you will be on your deathbed gasping the last few breaths and in that split second as you exit this world for the next the realisation of just how pointless money - or greed is what it really is - will make you reflect on not just a wasted life but hopefully others lives you consumed along the way.

so really you want every one to be in social housing

so really you want every one to be in social housing

No

I expect others to earn their way and not expect others to fund them.

Maybe, I have too many morals and principles. I wouldn't expect charity in any form if I didn't deserve or really need it.

But others, they know who they are, take all the freebies, like bottom feeders.

Parasites - that's it!!

No

I expect others to earn their way and not expect others to fund them.

Maybe, I have too many morals and principles. I wouldn't expect charity in any form if I didn't deserve or really need it.

But others, they know who they are, take all the freebies, like bottom feeders.

Parasites - that's it!!

so when you pass you will be giving your estate not to your kid but to charity, to stop your kids being bottom feeders, Parasites?

so when you pass you will be giving your estate not to your kid but to charity, to stop your kids being bottom feeders, Parasites?

Well no actually. The current idea is that we will sell our house to our only child. Obviously at a reduced price that can be afforded. That will hopefully give us a pension pot to retire with plus give our child a massive start in life. The cost of home ownership even back in the late 90's forced us to put off trying for a family even back then - resulting in our child coming later in life than we'd have preferred. God knows how this younger generation will cope.

Well no actually. The current idea is that we will sell our house to our only child. Obviously at a reduced price that can be afforded. That will hopefully give us a pension pot to retire with plus give our child a massive start in life. The cost of home ownership even back in the late 90's forced us to put off trying for a family even back then - resulting in our child coming later in life than we'd have preferred. God knows how this younger generation will cope.

so where would you live then?

so where would you live then?

The double garage already has all services installed incase it were ever to be converted into a granny flat of sorts or we may put our names down for council tenancy. Either way we will stand on our own 2 feet. We've never claimed charity nor bleated poverty either. We simply get by. If we can't afford something we leave be.

I guess it sounds strange to some.

Oh right. Thats cleared that up then.

So its perfectly OK for your child to be one of those parasitic leaches who gets the good fortune and can buy a property at a substantial discount through inheritance but of course everyone else who does that is scum.

Bye bye everybody. Bye bye.

Oh right. Thats cleared that up then.

So its perfectly OK for your child to be one of those parasitic leaches who gets the good fortune and can buy a property at a substantial discount through inheritance but of course everyone else who does that is scum.

Bye bye everybody. Bye bye.

You missed the point entirely (hardly surprising though)

We still only have one house

We haven't put someone else out of home ownership by buying a 2nd house

We haven't bought a 2nd house funded entirely by the poor wretched tenant

Bye bye

Let's hope the buy to let market crashes through the floor!

Then everyone can have a fair crack of the whip - what say you??

Whoa, hold on a minute. I only have one property - the one that I live in. I have considered getting a buy to let, but like you I'm not sure it's fair so I haven't. And that has probably cost me a lot of money in the long run. I sometimes feel like a mug, and I don't criticise people who do it especially as a pension.

I don't like to see big time buy-to-let landlords snapping up cheap property that could be bought by first time buyers, and pushing property prices up. But there is affordable stuff out there for anyone. I saw a 2 bed flat at Darnal up for auction with an estimate of £27,000 the other week.

I do manage a house for someone who is out of the country at the moment, and having seen it from the other side, believe me, being a landlord hasn't been plain sailing by any means. Last tenant did a moonlight owing over £1,000, left the place a right mess, and nicked the flat screen telly. Nice.

Edited by Anna B