Major Incident On London Bridge 03/06/2017

Guest makapaka
Stop interfering in the Middle East.

After that firstly try and establish what is possible. Is internment without trial a possibility? Does current legislation make that impossible? Do we actually have the facilities to implement internment anyway?

Is there a way to prevent people like the Saudis financing places of worship in this country?

Do we have the manpower required in the intelligence services? Do we need more?

Do we need greater powers of surveillance for the intelligence services?

Investigate the backgrounds of the most recent attackers and see if they have any similarities.

Would new general legislation in this area help or is that not possible?

The worst thing to do would be to dive in head first with a great fanfare of trumpets, only to find out that you can't do what you said you were going to do; because that would really put public confidence through the floor.

So what would be the answers to these questions?

Is there a way to prevent people like the Saudis financing places of worship in this country?

do you really think our governments, any governments will do that? we are in the Saudis pockets, always have been, always will be

So according to TM enough is enough, people have said this after events like this before, what does she plan to do? The death penalty for terrorists, or will this just make martyrs out of them? TM and her Government should get around the table with the other parties and come up with a plan. We are a country that gets back on its feet and shows resilience against attacks like this but the people will not tolerate things like this much longer and I fear that there will be trouble on the streets. These people need to know that there will be no mercy shown to them if they are arrested, life means life if they are convicted for acts of terrorism. Find somewhere to build a prison where there are no people maybe one of the islands in the Hebrides, and let them rot there. Their Human Rights should not even be considered, after all they never think of their victims right to live peacefully.

So what would be the answers to these questions?

I don't know the answers, I would get in the experts like police, intelligence services and lawyers to tell me what was actually possible and then proceed.

If internment is possible then yes, do it. If we have 3,000 known jihadis in the country who are a danger to us then jailing them means less danger for innocent people. In the present circumstances this would seem reasonable but I wouldn't want it to be a permanent thing.

Better intelligence has to be key, and you don't get any benefits in fighting terrorism by cutting back the police either. Better engagement with the Muslim community too.

So according to TM enough is enough, people have said this after events like this before, what does she plan to do? The death penalty for terrorists, or will this just make martyrs out of them? TM and her Government should get around the table with the other parties and come up with a plan. We are a country that gets back on its feet and shows resilience against attacks like this but the people will not tolerate things like this much longer and I fear that there will be trouble on the streets. These people need to know that there will be no mercy shown to them if they are arrested, life means life if they are convicted for acts of terrorism. Find somewhere to build a prison where there are no people maybe one of the islands in the Hebrides, and let them rot there. Their Human Rights should not even be considered, after all they never think of their victims right to live peacefully.

It's hard to do any of that when the terrorists end up getting shot or blowing themselves up. And we can't build a prison for suspected terrorists because that is against a persons human rights. We don't want to go the way of America and start locking anyone up with fits a made up profile of what a terrorist looks like.

I'm all for change but building a prison in the middle of nowhere and locking up suspected terrorists does not solve the problem.

do you really think our governments, any governments will do that? we are in the Saudis pockets, always have been, always will be

I know it's a problem Mel but sooner or later it is one that has to be faced up to.

obviously ISIS are winning the propaganda war, thats where its at, trying to persuade the young male idiots that are looking for something "better" in life that following some misguided notion that attacking your countries inhabitants IS NOT the answer.

---------- Post added 04-06-2017 at 11:50 ----------

I know it's a problem Mel but sooner or later it is one that has to be faced up to.

the rich would sooner a few of us would die than lose out on being billions times richer

It's hard to do any of that when the terrorists end up getting shot or blowing themselves up. And we can't build a prison for suspected terrorists because that is against a persons human rights. We don't want to go the way of America and start locking anyone up with fits a made up profile of what a terrorist looks like.

I'm all for change but building a prison in the middle of nowhere and locking up suspected terrorists does not solve the problem.

They should have no Human Rights they don't give a second thought about the people they are blowing up and stabbing. THE HRA should not be used to give these people an excuse to an easy life if they are caught. Sorry but people who use terror to get their point across in this way forfeit using the HRA to get an easy life behind bars where they can spread their hatred.

Edited by iansheff

I find the reaction of the media and politicians interesting. They are working to a set routine.

1. Organise a Vigil

2. Organise a show of unity.

3. Memorial service.

4. Big pile of flowers, balloons, weeping spectators.

5. Quotes about hate beating love,

6. Say these men won't divide us.

7. Never forget to mention Jo Cox and "right-wing terrorism".

8. And most importantly and insidiously, play up the ordinary and the normal. Traffic is moving freely. How "uplifting" it is to see ordinary people just going about their business (Louise Minchin on BBC the other week). Basically, say how wonderful it is that nobody has gotten angry (and never show angry lots of people are about the outrage). This is a subtle way of trying to normalise the unjustifiable - that people have just been murdered in a terrorist incident, again.

The media move heaven and earth to suppress public anger as much as possible and promote a narrative about how to react after a terrorist attack - namely, do nothing.

OK, but there is a note of worry creeping in now. The BBC are trying to mention "soft targets" and how impossible it is to stop attacks on these. But Sky for the first time have mentioned that some members of the public are wanting a "more robust response".

I wonder what the governments response will actually be, assuming there is one.

You forgot one: blame the internet; The last bastion of free speech.

Politicians are only just waking up to its power. They desperately want to shut it down, or at the very least highly regulate it, and not just because of terrorism. Yet terrorist activities are far more likely to be found on the dark web, which they can't do anything about.

We are too tolerant of their intolerance. Go build a church in Pakistan or wherever and see how long it lasts.

Any more attacks, or in light of last night, should be no more mosques built and ban the face veil etc. Yes they'd jump up and down but they do that anyway. Btw I'm well aware i'll get labeled racist, biggoted etc, I simply dont care. Too much emphasis on offending these days and how people feel

You forgot one: blame the internet; The last bastion of free speech.

Politicians are only just waking up to its power. They desperately want to shut it down, or at the very least highly regulate it, and not just because of terrorism.

I agree Anna.

They should have no Human Rights they don't give a second thought about the people they are blowing up and stabbing.

as soon as we start not treating people as humans we sink to their level, surely as civilised people we need to stay higher up the evolutionary scale?

I know it can be a bitter pill to taste but surely we dont want to sink to their depths?