Ideas for cheap/free things to do

So we live in Sheffield.

I have depression and Im out of work so on weekends when my partner is off we like to go out and do things to get me out of the house.

However this weekend we are skint! I cant stay in allllll weekend cos Ive stayed in all week and my depression will hit rock bottom!

Last night we went swimming. Today we have stopped in.

Any ideas for tomorrow and sunday?

THANK YOU

Guest makapaka
So we live in Sheffield.

I have depression and Im out of work so on weekends when my partner is off we like to go out and do things to get me out of the house.

However this weekend we are skint! I cant stay in allllll weekend cos Ive stayed in all week and my depression will hit rock bottom!

Last night we went swimming. Today we have stopped in.

Any ideas for tomorrow and sunday?

THANK YOU

Go for a walk somewhere green.

Whereabouts are you based? There are plenty of walks to go on all over Sheffield, you could maybe do part of the Sheffield Round Walk.

Go for a walk somewhere green.

I'd go with that idea. Peak District in the doorstep, rother valley maybe (that will be busy though).

Redmires reservoir or the Rivelin Valley. Mind you there will be plenty of joggers and walkers out with it being Bank Holiday so will be busy.

Botanical Gardens are well worth a visit.

I'd go for squirrel city (aka the Botanical Gardens).

AS most people have said get out of the house and go for a long walk . keep your head up and good luck to you

In the longer term, had you thought about occupying some of your time being a volunteer dog walker?

There are plenty of older people and people with disabilities who have dogs as companions but who may not be able to walk their dogs as much as would be best for them. Pairing up with one/some of them who are local to you could mean that you get the exercise and the companionship of the beastie to walk with, and believe me, walking with a dog is so much more social than walking by yourself- other dog walkers come and talk to you, but they don't if you're alone! You do all of this without the downside of having to afford dog food, vet bills etc, and the dog loves it and so do their owners.

Alternatively, if there's a rescue near by where you live, how about signing on as one of their walkers? I home check for Sheffield Dog Rescue and I know we're always pleased to see someone who can take a dog out for a good walk on a regular basis. Pretty much every rescue would be interested, and the volunteering is good for your soul too.

Part of the answer here is to not stay in all week so that getting out at the weekend is so essential. I have places and people to visit even when I have no real purpose to go out, purely because I know that my mental health will suffer if I don't have social contact and a reason to go out and now that my dog is too old to want to go out I have to find reasons sometimes.

Get a code word with a couple of friends that you trust so that if you use it they will find a reason to invite you over for a cup of tea. Go to borrow that book, watch that programme together, help with a project, take them some cuttings off plants from your garden to pot up and sell to raise money for a charity- there are hundreds of reasons if you look for them hard enough.