Obesity,is it going too far?

Almost every time I pick up a newspaper or watch the news on TV there is some expert going on about obese people.The latest being said is that about 80% of the population is obese.The cameraman rolls along the High Street picking out people deemed to be obese.Whilst I can't comment on what women think about the men picked out,as a bloke I would like to say that some of the women shown are really attractive.They are clean,well presented,nice looking and have nice figures with all the assets in the right places.Really cuddly women any bloke would like to be with,they are in no way excessively fat.The experts should stop commenting on people,not all of us want to see or be, stick insects like Victoria Beckham or Cheryl Cole (or whatever her name is now).Lets live and let live,we all like different shapes and sizes.

There's a huge gap between "stick thin" assuming that that is at the bottom end of the healthy scale and obese.

For example, for my height (1.82m) the healthy range is 61.3 to 83.1 kg. The overweight range then goes to 98kg. So to qualify as obese I'd need to be 98 or above kg...

And there's good reason that the government is taking an interest in the level of obesity, it's directly related to many diseases and is a huge cost to the NHS.

Live and let live, sure, but since we all pay for the NHS more tax needs to be raised somehow against those who are more likely to use it. In the same way that cigarette tax pays for the treatment that smokers are likely to need.

The 80% figure is incorrect though, or you didn't listen closely.

In the UK, 64% of adults are classed as being overweight or obese.

That's overweight or obese, not all obese.

Interestingly, our judgement about what is a normal weight is affected directly by the weights of our friends and family. Basically when we see overweight people all the time, we start to normalise that in our heads and redefine what normal is. Perhaps that's happened to you.

Edit - I should add that BMI is a very poor measure and the government should really adopt a better standard.

OP It’s ok saying lets live and let live but obesity is a major health concern. It is a main cause of diabetes, heart disease,high BP, strokes and premature wear on hip and knee joints. Diabetes is also the biggest demand on NHS resources when taking in to account the complications. Save your sympathy for some other cause.

Almost every time I pick up a newspaper or watch the news on TV there is some expert going on about obese people.The latest being said is that about 80% of the population is obese.The cameraman rolls along the High Street picking out people deemed to be obese.Whilst I can't comment on what women think about the men picked out,as a bloke I would like to say that some of the women shown are really attractive.They are clean,well presented,nice looking and have nice figures with all the assets in the right places.Really cuddly women any bloke would like to be with,they are in no way excessively fat.The experts should stop commenting on people,not all of us want to see or be, stick insects like Victoria Beckham or Cheryl Cole (or whatever her name is now).Lets live and let live,we all like different shapes and sizes.

If it is 'live and let live' why call slim women 'stick insects'?

For all you know, like the bigger women, they could be perfectly healthy and that is just their natural shape.

You're being very hypocritical here.

There's a huge gap between "stick thin" assuming that that is at the bottom end of the healthy scale and obese.

For example, for my height (1.82m) the healthy range is 61.3 to 83.1 kg. The overweight range then goes to 98kg. So to qualify as obese I'd need to be 98 or above kg...

And there's good reason that the government is taking an interest in the level of obesity, it's directly related to many diseases and is a huge cost to the NHS.

Live and let live, sure, but since we all pay for the NHS more tax needs to be raised somehow against those who are more likely to use it. In the same way that cigarette tax pays for the treatment that smokers are likely to need.

Interestingly, our judgement about what is a normal weight is affected directly by the weights of our friends and family. Basically when we see overweight people all the time, we start to normalise that in our heads and redefine what normal is. Perhaps that's happened to you.

Edit - I should add that BMI is a very poor measure and the government should really adopt a better standard.

IIRC the prediction is 80% overweight or obese by 2030 on current trends (European average). Hence the attention being paid to it.

It's interesting you have brought up BMI I find this approach of one height fits one weight odd. The human race is not bog standard like that people in Asia or not the same has their Western counterparts we are all different.

We need an system to replace it but what with ?

The cameraman rolls along the High Street picking out people deemed to be obese.Whilst I can't comment on what women think about the men picked out,as a bloke I would like to say that some of the women shown are really attractive.

I follow Viz's tips when out on the street:

FATTIES. Avoid your torso being surreptitiously filmed and used in a BBC news report about Britain's obesity problem by always wearing a T-shirt with 'All Newsreaders are *****' written on it.

Where does it say 80% obese, link us the articles.

It's c 25%.

It is unhealthy for the person concerned and unsatisfactory for the nation due to the expense of dealing with it. It is self inflicted and preventable.

This is the 80% reference:

Eight in 10 middle-aged Britons 'are overweight or exercise too little'

Public Health England launches campaign aimed at 40 to 60-year-olds, 83% of whom weigh too much or drink above guidelines

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/28/middle-aged-britons-overweight-exercise-too-little-exceed-alcohol-guidelines-public-health-england

Easy to make the figure high when you cover all bases.