Should the judge be lenient to the woman who assaulted Jeremy Vine?

She sounds like an absolute horror. The kind of person you can really do without encountering as you go about your business.

I encounter these sorts of people on a more or less weekly basis. The general close pass, left hook stuff is daily, but verbal abuse, actual threats to kill - about once a week.

When and where did I say it was "good" ?

You didn't. I was asking if you did think it was good. It was a question, not a statement or an accusation. Hence the question mark.

---------- Post added 20-04-2017 at 16:33 ----------

I sort of agree. If it wasn't Jeremy vine (who makes my mother want to throw the radio when he comes on) but onewheeldave that was the victim I can't help but think the sentence would have been far less.

That's entirely possible. However, it's not just cos it was Jeremy Vine- the main factor is he filmed it, had the attitude to not accept being bullied, and, followed it through.

While his celebrity status or class may have helped, the fact remains that other non-celebrity people have also, with video evidence and the right attitude, had success in similar instances.

The other good thing about wearing a cam to capture this kind of harassment, is that it can also be plastered across Youtube/social media, which will

1. encourage others to film moronic motorist behaviour that puts cyclist lives at risk

2. hopefully shut up the apologists who often crop up on threads like this to suggest that anyone using video evidence (which, at the end of the day is nothing other than a simple objective record of what actually happened are somehow slimy for doing so.

Edited by onewheeldave

2. hopefully shut up the apologists (several on this thread as usual) who spring up to suggest that anyone using video evidence (which, at the end of the day is nothing other than a simple objective record of what actually happened are somehow slimy for doing so.

What "several apologists?" I don't see many if any on here supporting her.

I had a problem with a bus driver a month ago who was driving too closely to me. The traffic was heavy so I caught up with the bus and put my bike on the pavement and took a photo of the driver. When I passed the details to the bus company he was sacked.

You caused a man to lose his job and livelihood because he was driving a bit near to you?

I hope you are proud of yourself.

You caused a man to lose his job and livelihood because he was driving a bit near to you?

Do you understand what it means when a Bus is driving too close to a cyclist?!

Do you realize how many cyclists are dead because of buses/lorries/cars driving too close?

Cyclists who had families and futures, cut down because a motorist "drove too close" to them.

The last thing we need is bus drivers who don't understand the potential consequences of irresponsible and dangerous driving around cyclists.

I encounter these sorts of people on a more or less weekly basis. The general close pass, left hook stuff is daily, but verbal abuse, actual threats to kill - about once a week.

Sorry to hear that. It never ceases to shock me how badly people can behave when they get behind the wheel. Not just at cyclists either.

A good friend of mine, normally perfectly rational and polite, effs and jeffs at other drivers' supposed (usually none existant) misdemeaners like nobody's business when she's driving. It's embarrassing. Thankfully she does it within the bubble of her own car, but it sets a poor example to her children. I wouldn't mind if her driving was faultless........

Do you understand what it means when a Bus is driving too close to a cyclist?!

Do you realize how many cyclists are dead because of buses/lorries/cars driving too close?

Cyclists who had families and futures, cut down because a motorist "drove too close" to them.

The last thing we need is bus drivers who don't understand the potential consequences of irresponsible and dangerous driving around cyclists.

I have ridden a push bike for years, until my advanced years caused me to give it up.

The main thing I always knew was that i was the most vulnerable thing on the road, therefore I took care of myself.

If a vehicle is too near, get out of the way.

You are flesh and bone against tonnes of metal.

Don't be stupid, give way, and get out of the way.

I have ridden a push bike for years, until my advanced years caused me to give it up.

The main thing I always knew was that i was the most vulnerable thing on the road, therefore I took care of myself.

If a vehicle is too near, get out of the way.

You are flesh and bone against tonnes of metal.

Don't be stupid, give way, and get out of the way.

In my years of cycling there have been 2 occasions when I was overtaken, way, way too close by lorries.

No chance of '"get out of the way", as, on the left, inches away, was the curb (inches away as I had to move left due to the lorry), and, or the right, the lorry, forcing me further to the curb.

Only thing to do, was keep my cool, keep a very rigid grip on the bars, and hope to survive till the thing passed.

Which luckily, I did. A lot of cyclists don't have my stability, and, a lot would not have been able to keep their cool- I have no doubt that less competent cyclists would have gone under the wheels, as would I, if there'd been any debris on the road.

Drivers of buses or lorries who put cyclists through that, should be sacked, and never be allowed to drive again.

You were lucky- in that situation, you can't 'get out of the way'.

As the families of many dead cyclists are painfully aware.

I doubt that the bus company would sack someone merely on the say so of a member of the public

I had a problem with a bus driver a month ago who was driving too closely to me. The traffic was heavy so I caught up with the bus and put my bike on the pavement and took a photo of the driver. When I passed the details to the bus company he was sacked.

Really! How close is too close? Serious question because surely it is subjective.

If I was a nervous ninny then a bus passing on the other side of the road would be too close.

Were I made of sterner stuff then perhaps the bus scraping my handlebars would be considered too close.

See, subjective.

Not sure the bus company would sack an employee on the basis of a complaint of driving too close without corroborating evidence.