Should the judge be lenient to the woman who assaulted Jeremy Vine?

Really! How close is too close? Serious question because surely it is subjective.

If I was a nervous ninny then a bus passing on the other side of the road would be too close.

Were I made of sterner stuff then perhaps the bus scraping my handlebars would be considered too close.

See, subjective.

Not sure the bus company would sack an employee on the basis of a complaint of driving too close without corroborating evidence.

The objective distance that the police are using in operation close pass is 1.5m.

The highway code rule 163 says "at least as much room as you would a car" with a handy picture to show you.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

If you are still not sure after that, then there is a handy video here from Chris Boardman:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/watch-chris-boardman-explains-how-to-safely-overtake-cyclists-186697

---------- Post added 21-04-2017 at 12:47 ----------

Hyperbole much.....:roll:

Believe it or not most car drivers do know what they are doing and can also judge how far from a cyclist they are.

Contacting handlebars is attempted murder - er no. You don't have mens rea for that nor even the actus reus so please quit while you are only a little behind.

A bus, or indeed any other vehicle should pass at a safe distance there is no obligation to be on the other side of the road.

When you consider the air movement created by a bus or lorry overtaking, unless it's at very low speed, the realistic 'safe' overtaking distance is effectively the other side of the road.

Believe it or not most car drivers do know what they are doing and can also judge how far from a cyclist they are.

Contacting handlebars is attempted murder - er no. You don't have mens rea for that nor even the actus reus so please quit while you are only a little behind.

A bus, or indeed any other vehicle should pass at a safe distance there is no obligation to be on the other side of the road.

True. Most drivers wait to overtake safely, unfortunately some either don't and don't realize the potential consequences of their misjudgement, or in a very few cases deliberately drive close.

I cycle to work every day, and quite often, let's say once or twice a week, cars cut across my path and I have to brake hard to not collide. Ecclesall Rd is a particular favourite.

---------- Post added 21-04-2017 at 12:49 ----------

I have ridden a push bike for years, until my advanced years caused me to give it up.

The main thing I always knew was that i was the most vulnerable thing on the road, therefore I took care of myself.

If a vehicle is too near, get out of the way.

You are flesh and bone against tonnes of metal.

Don't be stupid, give way, and get out of the way.

Sometimes it's just not possible to get out of the way. If a car pulls out of a side road directly in front of you, pretty hard to avoid.

Wow- your long-standing and persistent dislike of me and everything I post, has led you to attack a perfectly reasonable and accurate statement (that a bus touching a bicycles handlebars is highly likely to lead to a death) by posting contextually irrelevant latin terms :huh:

Way to go:clap::clap:

I post on these threads to make the world a better place and save lives, not quibble with perpetual snipes cos someone doesn't like me.

Here's a suggestion- you and me make a gentlemans agreement: I don't comment on your posts, you don't comment on mine. How about it?

Wow- your long-standing and persistent dislike of me and everything I post, has led you to attack a perfectly reasonable and accurate statement (that a bus touching a bicycles handlebars is highly likely to lead to a death) by posting contextually irrelevant latin terms :huh:

Way to go:clap::clap:

I post on these threads to make the world a better place and save lives, not quibble with perpetual snipes cos someone doesn't like me.

Here's a suggestion- you and me make a gentlemans agreement: I don't comment on your posts, you don't comment on mine. How about it?

So let me get this right - you have no recourse apart from abuse - you decide to play this as a personal attack on you which it wasn't, and then you decide to portray me as the bad guy.

As I recall your dislike of me occurred when I refused to accept your incessant non stop posting about lights on the side of a trailer which took 17 pages for you to actually figure out that I had done nothing wrong... so don't be painting me as the bad guy here.

The Latin terms are highly relevant as there is no equivalent in English to the meaning which is why the law uses them.

You originally equating the act of nearly touching the handlebars to attempted murder. That has a certain specific meaning. Was it attempted murder when my Landrover hit a cyclist then? Of course not. In the case you post it wouldn't be either.

you then decide to move the goalposts by both changing the act (from nearly to actually touching) and then the consequences (from attempted murder to causing a death - two very different things.)

So I'm sorry but whilst you post such utter strawmen and associated drivel on a public forum (there's a pair of Latin words for you by the way - English is replete with them!) I will continue to provide corrections to transgressions as I see fit.

---------- Post added 21-04-2017 at 13:39 ----------

True. Most drivers wait to overtake safely, unfortunately some either don't and don't realize the potential consequences of their misjudgement, or in a very few cases deliberately drive close.

I cycle to work every day, and quite often, let's say once or twice a week, cars cut across my path and I have to brake hard to not collide. Ecclesall Rd is a particular favourite.

I guess it's not got better since I used to cycle from Halls to town either. They were talking about cycle lanes long ago - have they ever appeared?

You originally equating the act of nearly touching the handlebars to attempted murder......

Wasn't nearly-

Were I made of sterner stuff then perhaps the bus scraping my handlebars would be considered too close.

Scraping i.e. touching.

I don't have time for this rubbish Obelix, neither of us is benefiting from our interactions on this board- serious offer, think about it, let me know, and, it can happen.

I don't have time for this rubbish Obelix, neither of us is benefiting from our interactions on this board- serious offer, think about it, let me know, and, it can happen.

I have zero intention of being dictated to about my perfectly reasonable conduct.

well a lot of buses have cameras on the outside now, so they might have video footage from that.

That's more what I was thinking yes. No ones going to sack someone just because a member of the public moaned as that would mean them losing huge in any employment tribunal.

With corroborating evidence though they can just pull the record and look - easy...

I have zero intention of being dictated to about my perfectly reasonable conduct.

???

I'm not dictating anything to anyone- I'm asking a question & proposing a solution to the fact that any communication between you and me leads to nothing productive and leads to aggravation for both if us.

You can say 'yes', you can say 'no', or, continue to do whatever it is you're doing up to now, in which case I'll take it as a 'no', while noting that the (sincere) offer was made.