London trip advice please

There's so much to see and do in London. It all depends what you're interested in.

You ought to work in the tourism industry.

I'd advise the OP not to drive. The coach is better than driving if you want to get stuck in London traffic. It's frequent and a lot cheaper than the train.

As for things to see, after you've got migraine from the central London sights try the outer London greenery of Hampstead Heath (Hampstead tube), Richmond Park (Richmond tube or rail), Greenwich Park and Blackheath (Greenwich DLR) and Epping Forest (Theydon Bois or Snaresbrook tube).

Trains from Sheffield to London are relatively quick (just over 2 hours) and you won't need a car once you are in London, so I also agree that unless there is a specific reason to I wouldn't drive down.

Off topic but I could not resist this. When we spend the 70 billion on the new train and track, instead of the "just over 2hrs" it will be just under 2hrs to London whooopeeee. Real value for money.

Try getting to Manchester and back again in the rush hour, not worth bothering unless you like sitting in the traffic que at Mottram for a couple of hours. Why not spend some of the billions on upgrading the road to Manchester. Oh I forgot we are above the M25 so we don't really matter.

Rant over. Apologies for been off topic.

Angel1.

kind of agree. When I was a kid in the 80s British Rail managed to get a train down to London from Sheffield in 2 hours 55 minutes. Even then, everybody realised, with it being only 160 miles or 260 km that was a rdiculously slow passage. It's good that they have got it down to two hours that's reasonable but spending god knows how many billions to get it down by 15 minutes more isn't worth it.

in London driving isn't a problem. It's parking, that's the problem.

depending on your standards there is a plethora of cheap hotels in central London, which is where you want to be if you want to look at the major sites including the museums especially the less well known, quirky, museums and this is one area where London leads the world.

where else are Aussie backpackers going to stay if they don't want to stay in a hostel sleeping next to somebody else's socks. Admittedly crappy hotels within walking distance of Victoria Station, alleged breakfast included but shared bathroom are only about forty quid.

We stay in the Imperial Hotel on Russell Square. Around £110 a night double/twin room last time we were there, with breakfast and usually dinner on the first night thrown in. Its a great locality, with nearby tube and lots of buses. We never drive down, but book the train well in advance as there are some real bargains. However, it does have parking facilities.

You ought to work in the tourism industry).

To be fair to bramah, there is so much to do in London that just asking for recommendations without giving any idea as to personal preferences is far too vague. The OP is better off searching the internet for things to do, exhibitions that are on etc., because they know what they like. But unless they are a blue badge holder, don't drive. Get an Oyster card in advance and public transport is pretty cheap, considerably cheaper than Sheffield.

Going to London in April to see Joe Bonamassa at the Albert hall , going to the museums and a couple of shows any recommendations as to where to visit ? We are driving down would it be better to get a hotel out of London center and travel in ? Or pay the higher rates in the center ? Any recommendations on accommodation ? I always find it better to go on recommendations ☺etc many thanks

It is a long time since I have been to London. I suspect the advice you are getting from the forum not to take your car is probably good advice. Have you thought about going with National Coach Holidays if you are on a budget. I know a lot of people who go all over the country with them including London and they say they are not bad for what you pay.

It is just a thought.

When IV been to London I use YHA hostels the one at St.Pauls is housed in an historic building it was clean and the breakfast was ok the hostel even has a few single rooms IV stayed in one it was ok. The other hostel again YHA was at Kings Cross no single rooms but if you go with your family you could share the room usually has bunk beds. The railway station is not far away I go by rail also buy an Oyster card so you can use the buses and underground. For meals out pubs are a good bet or fancy a change head to China Town meals are not bad priced.