The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

What does leaving mean?

Anyone that says "brexit means brexit" should be immediately barred from all further adult discussion as they're clearly an idiot.

Brexit means leave, leave means leave; if no deal was done, it would be WTO rules, no problem.

Its the media that is an idiot for not repeating the question, if they did not understand it, over and over again.

Brexit means leave, leave means leave; if no deal was done, it would be WTO rules, no problem.

Its the media that is an idiot for not repeating the question, if they did not understand it, over and over again.

I had to laugh the other day. I ran into some folk who had been rather anti David Cameron.

I recall them telling us how his negotiations with the EU over our EU membership had been useless and the conessions that he had won didn't amount to a hill of beans.

Oddly enough some of them now thought the deal on the table had been a good one after all.

I did suggest that if a few more had been a bit more positive and the EU had been a bit more consilliatory we might not be on the verge of leaving the EU.

Oddly enough at the time I thought Cameron had done well although the concessions weren't enough change my mind. So it is quite funny that those who were telling us how inadequate a deal on the table was, are the ones who seem to regret that we didn't accept it.

It's a funny old world isn't it?

Err actually there may be a problem or two.......

The balance of opinion amongst those who understand these things seems to be that for the UK to take a seat at the wto table requires the unanimous consent of the other members.

Regardless of this, the quotas, tariffs and stuff which define the eu's membership of the wto will all need renegotiating to take into account our departure and at the same time we will need to define our own. All this talk of default wto tariffs is a gross over simplification of the nightmare joining the wto will be.

---------- Post added 02-01-2017 at 22:51 ----------

There were still plenty of Turkeys though, who fantasize about the UK still staying in the EU.

Turkey wants to join the eu

WTO rules would be a massive problem, for the economy at least.

Err actually there may be a problem or two.......

The balance of opinion amongst those who understand these things seems to be that for the UK to take a seat at the wto table requires the unanimous consent of the other members.

Regardless of this, the quotas, tariffs and stuff which define the eu's membership of the wto will all need renegotiating to take into account our departure and at the same time we will need to define our own. All this talk of default wto tariffs is a gross over simplification of the nightmare joining the wto will be.

---------- Post added 02-01-2017 at 22:51 ----------

Turkey wants to join the eu

The UK already has a seat at the WTO. It is merely vacant due to our EU membership. Nobody has the authority to deny it to us.

Turkey would probably need to stop choosing its leaders from the Muslim Brotherhood and operate some semblance of a free press before the EU lets it in. The EU has a long history of breaking its own rules for political purposes, but I really doubt that want the Muslim Brotherhood at EU council meetings.

Also, in case anybody missed it, FTSE100 at record high: https://www.google.co.uk/finance?cid=12590587

And FTSE250 looking pretty dam good too: https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=FTSE250&ei=RaNrWPirDtaFsAGf3Z_4Bw

But I'm sure that the doom and catastrophe will be a long any minute. Any minute now. Surely. Hang on it's coming. Oh.

Edited by unbeliever