Outer ring road from Grenoside to Dore

A road which has created more traffic jams because of traffic lights every fifty yards.

Absolute rubbish. Why must you pollute every car-related thread with your biased, ill-informed crap?

Hambeast, you are really, really on one. It's a quite unreasonable and indefensible approach you've taken here.

Hambeast, you are really, really on one. It's a quite unreasonable and indefensible approach you've taken here.

Unreasonable? Where? People seem to think roads can be built anywhere, they clearly can't or it would have happened by now.

I'm not the one being unreasonable by wondering why a road was never built over difficult terrain and through expensive houses.

It has been mentioned that there was an earlier thread about this. There was but I can't find it.

I got into a discussion about a possible tunnel around the west side and someone produced a map, I think, showing how it might circle round from Meadowhead with a small number of exit points to Hillsborough. Of course it would be horrendously expensive, but arguably of more use to more people more often than HS2 and HS3.

No, if you look into it the final descision report from 1948 report states:

"SCC isn't interested in building roads"

:hihi::hihi::hihi::P:P:P

Well that took all of five minutes to rat him out.

You can trace the route fairly clearly; from Meadowhead it goes:

• down Bocking Lane and Abbey Lane to Abbeydale Road;
  • up Abbey Lane through Eccledall Woods and up Whirlowdale Road to Ecclesall Road South at Whirlow;
  • a new road cross country to Ringinglow Road
  • a new road downhill across the Porter valley, and round Fulwood
  • a new road straight through the middle of Lodge Moor
  • a new road down the hill to the Rivelin valley, and joining halfway along Rivelin Valley Road
  • along Holme Land
  • up Penistone Road and turning along Herries Road

In contrast with the southern-eastern stretch of the ring road which was built, it goes through less open countryside and more through existing built-up areas, with steeper gradients too.

You a regular user of the road then? Funny way to head out of town towards Penistone every day :D

My business is in sheffield ,and i use the road most days

---------- Post added 01-07-2016 at 13:15 ----------

Absolute rubbish. Why must you pollute every car-related thread with your biased, ill-informed crap?

Are you denying there are an un-necessary amount of lights on that road ?

Are you denying there are an un-necessary amount of lights on that road ?

I'll say yes; I can't think of a set of lights on that road off the top of my head that aren't connected to a junction which requires traffic light regulation. What might be unnecessary to you probably isn't to cars which would otherwise struggle to turn on to the road from side roads. The only solution to that would be a grade separated road, but I imagine cost and space limitations would prove prohibitive.

Talk to me about inadequate light sequencing if you like - I can accept that a light may turn to red for you in the middle of the night when there are no other cars around - but that comes down to the fact that intelligent, reactive light sequencing and sensors etc are not in the slightest bit cheap, so imagine a budget decision has to made by the council, and investment in light sequencing which would only really benefit drivers by irritating them slightly less rather than actually relieving congestion probably doesn't make the cut.

Talk to me about inadequate light sequencing if you like - I can accept that a light may turn to red for you in the middle of the night when there are no other cars around - but that comes down to the fact that intelligent, reactive light sequencing and sensors etc are not in the slightest bit cheap, so imagine a budget decision has to made by the council, and investment in light sequencing which would only really benefit drivers by irritating them slightly less rather than actually relieving congestion probably doesn't make the cut.

As far back as 1969 I noted that lights in the Duluth area by Lake Superior went to flashing amber at night. That may still be the norm in many other parts of the world. It might save a lot of unnecessary stop time when lights control negligible traffic for large parts of the day.