Anyone come from Grimesthorpe?

dad said if she was a true clairvoyant she should've seen it coming...

Hope you had a nice Australia Day skippy - me and the aussie had a bundaberg to celebrate. Currently very low on supply of cherry ripes - might need a shipment sending over soon, the aussie can't function without them.

I agree with your dad astro, cherry ripes are my favourites too, I'll bring some over when we come.

Had a lazy Aussie Day, we went to see Eric Clapton yesterday & stayed in Sydney overnight.

We walked back to the hotel near Circular Quay through Darling Harbour & the city streets in the early hours, it was in the 30's & very humid, after polishing off the free bottle of Champers, I slept like a baby in air conditioned comfort, I felt a bit crook this morning at breakfast though.

Do the cops use capsicum spray there ?

I agree with your dad astro, cherry ripes are my favourites too, I'll bring some over when we come.

Had a lazy Aussie Day, we went to see Eric Clapton yesterday & stayed in Sydney overnight.

We walked back to the hotel near Circular Quay through Darling Harbour & the city streets in the early hours, it was in the 30's & very humid, after polishing off the free bottle of Champers, I slept like a baby in air conditioned comfort, I felt a bit crook this morning at breakfast though.

Do the cops use capsicum spray there ?

Ooh how lovely Skippy - when we were over in Nov we stayed at the Sir Stamford at circular quay - it was lovely walking by the harbour at night time seeing the opera house all lit up.

As for the "pepper" spray - yes they use it over here, but the aussie prefers to use his baton :D

Hi Pigeon, have you seen the thread about Tyler Street huts. I don't know if Uncle Tom was like my dad and told tales of when they were young, but I remember my dad saying that Uncle Tom lived there for a short while. Sorry I forget Uncle Tom was your Grandad. When they were boys Holywell Road stopped at at the top of the hill, by the end of the church yard, and it was just a mud track over to the dark arches.
went for a walk down Grimesthorpe 2/2/07 down past bowling green and chambers lane to little victory not changed much the dykes still there and the ball and shefield arms .... the anchor fish shops gone though!!!!

Hi phil, I think I'm a year older than you, I used to hang around with Les Rhodes & John Wright & co'. I only see Steve on very rare occasions, if I am passing his mum & dads and he happens to be there.

Hi pigeon, pity you didn't mention that you were in the area, maybe could have met up and sampled the falldown water in the Ball or the Arms.

anyone remember mrs jackson a teacher in the 60is

I was in Mrs Jacksons class at Grimesthorpe school early 1960s.

Was there also a Miss Ringrose?

Hey Dors, have you seen how many hits this site has had, must be popular, you sure started something good.

Hi Gemini,I'd have to say that I'm quite thrilled that the thread is still going strong. When I started it I really didn't think it would amount to much. Don't get on much myself, to be honest I sit in front of a computer at work all day so don't much feel like doing it when I get home too. Skippy keeps me well informed about everything though. It's amazing how things that people write trigger memories of things that I haven't thought about for years. I would love to get over there sometime and get together with everyone.

Dors.

Ooh how lovely Skippy - when we were over in Nov we stayed at the Sir Stamford at circular quay - it was lovely walking by the harbour at night time seeing the opera house all lit up.

As for the "pepper" spray - yes they use it over here, but the aussie prefers to use his baton :D

The concert was fantastic - could easily watch it all over again. We stayed at the Wentworth Sofitel which was very nice. A massage, facial and hairdo were all part of the package for me. The whole thing was even better because it didn't cost us anything....all paid for by Toyota Australia.

Sydney by night is beautiful, in fact Sydney by day is quite beautiful too in parts but after a while it starts to get to me, would hate to live there.

Dors.

I remember Mr Charlesworth from Grimesthorpe juniors - he was a lovely feller. he taught my brother Robert too. Mr Gathercole was the headmaster during my time there. Did anyone else get sent down the cellar to cook up the glue?

Hi phil, yes i remember Mr Gathercole, ..... Mr Ambler..Miss Wainwright.. what about Mr Winslow, used to roll the thinest of cigarettes, and smoke them in the play ground whilst on watch during break times....wouldnt be allowed today,whilst in the final year at Grimesthorpe junior, me and a lad called Colin Burdett aspired to the grand roll of Ink Monitors, we had to go in the old air raid shelter, remember the tunnel from the entrance on Grimesthorpe Rd into the boys playground,mix up the ink, then go round the class's and fillup the container in each class room. We always ended up covered in the damd stuff, our hands were permantly blue, and we got told off every week, why they kept us on that job ????.

Hi phil, yes i remember Mr Gathercole, ..... Mr Ambler..Miss Wainwright.. what about Mr Winslow, used to roll the thinest of cigarettes, and smoke them in the play ground whilst on watch during break times....wouldnt be allowed today,whilst in the final year at Grimesthorpe junior, me and a lad called Colin Burdett aspired to the grand roll of Ink Monitors, we had to go in the old air raid shelter, remember the tunnel from the entrance on Grimesthorpe Rd into the boys playground,mix up the ink, then go round the class's and fillup the container in each class room. We always ended up covered in the damd stuff, our hands were permantly blue, and we got told off every week, why they kept us on that job ????.

Hi Geotom,

I remember Mr.Gathercole, Mr. Ambler, Mr. Mason, Mr. Charlesworth, Miss Heaney and Miss Hanson. I was in Mr. Ambler's class in 1957. I think that Mr. Briggs was the headmaster when I first went to Grimesthorpe. Either Miss Heaney or Miss Hanson retired while I was there and I had to present whichever one it was with a dinner set. I was frightened to death of dropping the b....y thing.

Dors.

Hi Skippy,

You may have known my dad Walt he used to load coal first at the Wharf corner of Upwell Street & Carlisle Street,then later at Stephenson Road his favourite pub was The Ball Inn.

I went on the lorry at age 15 on holiday, and then vowed I would never do a physical job to earn a living.

Hi Dave,

What did you end up doing to earn a living?

Dors.