Increase of graffiti in Sheffield

At the risk of being lambasted - what people are talking about here is tagging which is not graffiti.

Yes it is graffiti. It's the most common, ordinary, type of graffiti; it's exactly what people think of if you were to ask them what graffiti is. Not sure what definitions you're using, but in normal usage that's what it is.

At the risk of being lambasted - what people are talking about here is tagging which is not graffiti. Its prevalence is due to a combination of several things, the council has less money to deal with things like this, disproportionately so in comparison to other cities as we are getting hammered with cuts far and above others, cuts to services such as the police pcso's etc and lack of youth services to keep all the bored and itchy fingered yoofs occupied with other things being the main ones I can think of. It's a pain in the arse for businesses who have to remove it at their own cost and does look scruffy. How to combat it - I honestly don't know. Council is all on trying to provide statutory services with another £50 in cuts over the next 3 years so fresh out of ideas.:(

tags and graffiti exactly the same no merit not art just some lazy little scrote that wants to deface and damage other peoples property and contribute nothing. dont blame cuts on things like youth service because they will still do it no matter what, if the yoofs are bored make them work cleaning up!!

At the risk of being lambasted - what people are talking about here is tagging which is not graffiti. Its prevalence is due to a combination of several things, the council has less money to deal with things like this, disproportionately so in comparison to other cities as we are getting hammered with cuts far and above others, cuts to services such as the police pcso's etc and lack of youth services to keep all the bored and itchy fingered yoofs occupied with other things being the main ones I can think of. It's a pain in the arse for businesses who have to remove it at their own cost and does look scruffy. How to combat it - I honestly don't know. Council is all on trying to provide statutory services with another £50 in cuts over the next 3 years so fresh out of ideas.:(

You know nothing .. are you related to Jon Snow?

Graffiti is any form of writing or drawing painted or scratched illicitly onto any surface, normally in public view. The scratched markings on the slabs used to build the great pyramids in giza is considered graffiti!

Most graffiti artists start with tagging, they progress to what we would see as art but this is a heavily stylised form of the tag that as developed over time as the arts talents grow.

I dont care what you want to call it, but it is unwanted, it devalues our property and costs me each time to get it removed. No idea how I can stop someone who I can not identify as the culprit and get them to clean it up!

I dont care what you want to call it, but it is unwanted, it devalues our property and costs me each time to get it removed. No idea how I can stop someone who I can not identify as the culprit and get them to clean it up!

CCTV maybe. Get enough footage to identify them and pass it to the police.

Yes it is unwanted I never said it wasn't.

Yes it is tagging, there are lots of differentiations perhaps which haven't made it into the Oxford dictionary yet but there you go. Yes they will still do it but cuts don't help directly or indirectly there are correlations.

How can I be related to Jon Snow? He's a fictional character :P I wouldn't want to be anyway - the things I'd do to that lad it would be wrong. But I suppose that would just make me a Lannister

Edited by steamnratbag

Hillsborough is a real mess with mindless tags all over the place. It's so unfair that decent people have to pay for others selfish behaviour.

Chatted to our graffiti removed guy, said it costs him £5 a square meter to remove, anyone wants advice I can pm you his fb details or email.

tags and graffiti exactly the same no merit not art just some lazy little scrote that wants to deface and damage other peoples property and contribute nothing. dont blame cuts on things like youth service because they will still do it no matter what, if the yoofs are bored make them work cleaning up!!

It's scribble by attention seeking Banksy wannabes morans who have nowt better to do.

Its not all youths, some are embarrassingly middle aged computer game playing types who think that they adding culture to society and beating the state. Because you can recognise some of their garbage from years ago when you enter Sheffield on the train.

I've noticed a big increase in graffiti along Ecclesall Road, from the Moore Street roundabout up to Banner Cross. Really low quality ugly grafitti and mostly done at second storey level where there's access over a shop frontage.