Increase of graffiti in Sheffield

Has anyone else noticed the increase of graffiti in Sheffield. I don't mean the Street Art, I mean the scribbles and symbols that are spray painted on buildings.

We have a commercial unit on Ecclesall Road and somehow the "graffiti artists(!)" managed to climb on a flat roof and spray some random scribble on the second floor level of our building. It cost us £185 to chemically remove the mess last week, only to find today that it is back, which will cost us another £185.

What is the point of graffiti, why is there suddenly a fad and both private and public property is being defaced by this!

What can we do about it? How can it be stopped? and basically just WHY??

I totally agree. This brain dead vandalism is gradually turning Sheffield into a total eyesore.

It's everywhere you look and increasing by the day.

If the variety of different 'tags' is anything to go by, there must be hundreds of these people going around defacing people's property.

Im sure we will have someone along soon claiming it is "art" and a form or artistic expression that should be encouraged.

I have some experience of these artists, having met with a number of them some time back. It was clear they didn't care about what others thought and the real reason they like to break into railway sidings and tag trains is for the buzz and nothing to do with art.

Most are just vandals. SOme have talent and if you go to the free ways off Montgomery drive (I think) you can see some amazing works of art.

Have a Virgin Cable TV distribution box on the footpath outside my house.

This is covered with graffiti. Have reported this to Virgin on a couple

of occasions to no avail. Wish I had Richard Bransons telephone number.

Would just add there was rubbish stuffed in the gap between the box and

my wall,by thoughtless dog walkers.and casual eaters and drinkers.

This was cleared by Amey within 3 days of reporting.

Have a Virgin Cable TV distribution box on the footpath outside my house.

This is covered with graffiti. Have reported this to Virgin on a couple

of occasions to no avail. Wish I had Richard Bransons telephone number.

Would just add there was rubbish stuffed in the gap between the box and

my wall,by thoughtless dog walkers.and casual eaters and drinkers.

This was cleared by Amey within 3 days of reporting.

Richard Branson sold Virgin T.V. a while ago but grafitti is terrible no matter where it is, the Old General Post Office in the square that's recently been restored, the brainless irkes have already sprayed their inane writing on its walls.

Surely these people must have been seen on CCTV somewhere in town doing their hobby!

Is there an increase in graffiti due to the council not cleaning it up anymore?

council shouldn't have to clean it up in the first place, someone must see them do it and just turns a blind eye, i would love to catch one of the little or big scrotes brain dead lowlife:rant:

council shouldn't have to clean it up in the first place, someone must see them do it and just turns a blind eye, i would love to catch one of the little or big scrotes brain dead lowlife:rant:

I know they shouldn't have to, but they did, like they clean the streets or picked up litter. If they stopped we would soon notice it and that's why I ask.

Edited by Berberis

I know they shouldn't have to, but they did, like they cleaned the streets or picked up litter. If they stopped we would soon notice it and thats why i ask.

i guess they have other priorities a shame but thats what this country has come too, red tape from the EU, cost of services for the never ending stream of the worlds waifs and strays no wonder we cant afford to clean our own streets.

when any of these grafitti vandals are caught they should be made to clean it not only theirs but others as well every day for a year............but then we will have people sayin it infringes their human rights?? barmy

i guess they have other priorities a shame but thats what this country has come too, red tape from the EU, cost of services for the never ending stream of the worlds waifs and strays no wonder we cant afford to clean our own streets.

when any of these grafitti vandals are caught they should be made to clean it not only theirs but others as well every day for a year............but then we will have people sayin it infringes their human rights?? barmy

Fista got 5 years when he got caught ,is that suffient punishment ?