Bringing my American wife over for the first time, need some ideas

combine one of the homes - chatsworth/haddon etc, with afternoon tea. might be a little more pricey doing it at/around there but how decadent and utterly English?

One of the peak villages would be a nice place for that as well though. Just stay away from the 'easy options' in the city centre.

How long have you been away from Sheffield, as a fair bit has changed, even if it does seem slow progress to those who haven't been away!

Devonshire Quarter - some nice shops

Antiques Quarter

A ride on the tram - it's so everyday for Sheffielders but visitors love it

Bradfield - a typically English village at Low and a beautiful church at High

Botanical Gardens is beautiful at this time of the year - particularly if it is sunny

Agree about Haddon Hall - also Eyam, Monsall Head and Bakewell, Castleton, Winnats Pass, Mam Tor and the caverns (Devils Arse) etc.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 08:26 ----------

If she likes beer there are plenty of good pubs in Sheffield ;)

Agree with this - would have to be locally brewed real ale though - plenty of that around in Sheffield.

combine one of the homes - chatsworth/haddon etc, with afternoon tea. might be a little more pricey doing it at/around there but how decadent and utterly English?

One of the peak villages would be a nice place for that as well though. Just stay away from the 'easy options' in the city centre.

How long have you been away from Sheffield, as a fair bit has changed, even if it does seem slow progress to those who haven't been away!

I'm 100% doing Chatsworth house now, and we'll most likely head out to Castleton and have a trek from there to Hope Village.

Someone else mentioned going on the tram, I'm making a point to go into town on the tram just because it's so unique to Sheffield and most people don't even think twice about it!

I've been away since February 2014, not too long but before I left the Castle Market was just getting pulled down and my grandparents have been telling about how everythings changed in town, so i'm looking forward to seeing everything again and comparing it to how it was a few years back.

I think we might head out to York for a day as well

I'd show her stuff they don't have in the States. Chatsworth is a good idea, but Haddon Hall is more romantically mediaeval.

Carl Wark, which is Iron Age.

Cute Peak District villages.

Do the public have access to the cave art in Cresswell Crags (i think?). Maybe of interest to her.

Kelham Island Museum, with a selection of real ale pubs nearby.

I actually have Kelham Island on my list, I was a bit on the fence about it, I remember going years back on a school trip, if I remember rightly we had to dress up in period clothing for the trip and I ended up wearing my granddads flat cap, was a great day to be fair

I'm bringing my wife home for a couple of weeks at the end of June/early July, we live in Texas (I moved over to America 2 years ago), wondered if anyone had any ideas of things to do around Sheffield, obviously I have the obvious things on my list, walking around the city centre and heading to the Peace/Winter gardens, Weston Park Museum, Orchard Square/general shopping, she's into Asian food so we're gonna take a walk down London Road, head over to Meadowhall etc. Basically anything that would help show off my great home city.

The Americans don't have too much in the way of history. Places like Haddon Hall, Bolsover Castle, Hardwick Hall, Wentworth Woodhouse will blow their socks off.