Bringing my American wife over for the first time, need some ideas

Re: post above. They've probably gone home by now. I would live elsewhere if I was so negative about life and the city I live in.

I love Sheffield. Not the city centre - I think that's awful. And sorry, but I don't think Meadowhall is much good either. But I love the city for lots of other reasons - not least the real ale scene and proximity to some stunning open countryside - and some very nice people too (although not all by any means).

I like "nice" things mate. That's my problem. I like to have a choice of very good, top-end restaurants. I like to dress smartly and go to a pub or wine bar where I can browse a long list of very good wine and have a choice. I like to have a massive range of shops to go at, selling all kinds of quality stuff.

I can't get much of that in Sheffield. I can get it in Manchester though and it's only 43 minutes away by train.

That's all I'm saying like...:)

I love Sheffield. Not the city centre - I think that's awful. And sorry, but I don't think Meadowhall is much good either. But I love the city for lots of other reasons - not least the real ale scene and proximity to some stunning open countryside - and some very nice people too (although not all by any means).

I like "nice" things mate. That's my problem. I like to have a choice of very good, top-end restaurants. I like to dress smartly and go to a pub or wine bar where I can browse a long list of very good wine and have a choice. I like to have a massive range of shops to go at, selling all kinds of quality stuff.

I can't get much of that in Sheffield. I can get it in Manchester though and it's only 43 minutes away by train.

That's all I'm saying like...:)

That's quite different to what I like. I hate dressing up and I hate wine bars although I'm not saying you're wrong to like them. Sadly in Sheffield I think there is less money, less willingness to "go out" and a more down at heel mindset which makes what you want less likely. Do you like The Pointing Dog? I'd have thought that describes what you like. Because of the conditions mentioned I do think investors, businesses etc don't try to attract the "more sophisticated" market in the city so unless a few more places take a risk and succeed I fear you'll be spending your cash elsewhere for some time to come.