Box set and binge viewing megathread.

The Teacher 

Polish drama on sky boxset, I watched first series.  

It had good reviews but maybe I needed more to make me really get hooked.

Either way it is worth a watch and has some good plots.

Taken Trilogy  -  Liam  Neeson

Watched Pennance on Five- quite good drama 3 parter.

Just watched series 1 of The Sinner on Netflix - now that was very good at grabbing you. Just started series 2 and that look sjust as good.

8 hours ago, willman said:

Watched Pennance on Five- quite good drama 3 parter.

Just watched series 1 of The Sinner on Netflix - now that was very good at grabbing you. Just started series 2 and that look sjust as good.

The Sinner is very good.

I'm waiting for season 3 which should get to UK around May.

The Missing- season 2

I've never probably given a rating of 10/10 but if I had to, this would be it.

This is how psychological thrillers should be, the writers get everything right in this 8 parter. I was hooked from first episode and never wanted the ending to come  each episode was so absorbing.

Edited by Guest

On 31/03/2020 at 18:01, Funky_Gibbon said:

It won't last.

It hasn't :(

Series 1 and 2 were still very good but series 3 seemed to bring in so many annoying new characters I expected jarjar binks to turn up in the final episode. I'm sticking with series 4 for the time being.

On 02/04/2020 at 12:48, tinfoilhat said:

It hasn't :(

Series 1 and 2 were still very good but series 3 seemed to bring in so many annoying new characters I expected jarjar binks to turn up in the final episode. I'm sticking with series 4 for the time being.

Well I stuck with it. None of the other series held a candle to 1-2, at least as far the storylines went. But, in retrospect, it wasn’t really about the plots it was about the characters (well most of them) who I liked a lot and that’s what really carried it through.

'Sapphire And Steel'.  An Xmas gift from the beloved.  Viewed from now, the special effects are rubbish, but the atmospheric story-telling aspect still remains as good as I remembered. 

Time someone rebooted this very fine series.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=F8AEBE0ED5B7231CB4557B3E4D8B4EA7DE0DBB7E&thid=OIP.yyuKokb2hJuYasVwY3SCOAHaEZ&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geek.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F01%2Fsapphire-and-steel-590x350.jpg&exph=350&expw=590&q=sapphire+and+steel+episodes&selectedindex=40&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&ccid=yyuKokb2&simid=608051121168583518&sim=11

Generation Kill.  7 part miniseries about the invasion of Iraq in 2003 from the perspective of a  of US marines and their embedded reporter . Some recognisable names and a few ex-servicemen. I enjoyed it for what it was, I'm sure ex-forces might rate it higher or lower than me because they'll now how true to life it was. Doesn't pull any punches but definately worth watching.

8 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Generation Kill.  7 part miniseries about the invasion of Iraq in 2003 from the perspective of a  of US marines and their embedded reporter . Some recognisable names and a few ex-servicemen. I enjoyed it for what it was, I'm sure ex-forces might rate it higher or lower than me because they'll now how true to life it was. Doesn't pull any punches but definately worth watching.

I watched Central Baghdad so you may want to give that a look- it's not as military or over the top about Iraq and the occupation of US & Britain personnel.

It revolves around an ex Iraqi policeman, once loyal to Saddam, who is looking for his missing teenage daughter  - who is enlisted by a corrupt British serviceman to help draw out militants (but clearly has other agendas).

Season 4 of The Last Kingdom just dropped on Netflix... that'll do nicely.

Gangs of London 

Recently started on Sky Atlantic but all 9 episodes can be downloaded to binge watch.

Extremely violent series which sees the family of a murdered London gangster kingpin, search for the people responsible for his death.

This brings in gangs from Albania, Turkey, Pakistan and Nigeria- all who want their businesses to continue- with one trying to wipe out the other.

12 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

Gangs of London 

Recently started on Sky Atlantic but all 9 episodes can be downloaded to binge watch.

Extremely violent series which sees the family of a murdered London gangster kingpin, search for the people responsible for his death.

This brings in gangs from Albania, Turkey, Pakistan and Nigeria- all who want their businesses to continue- with one trying to wipe out the other.

I'm undecided on that one. Sky stuff can either be quite good or glossy nonsense.