Box set and binge viewing megathread.

5 hours ago, willman said:

I just joined Prime(cheaper to join than pay postage on my lock down orders) so i gave Jack Ryan a watch and i have to say i wasn't overly impressed. It was ok but i didn't feel it was engaging.

Going to try Bosch at some point as i'm a bg fan of the books.

I liked the first few series of Bosch but I never read the books. If like sci-fi, do the expanse, that’s excellent. The Boys is good but very sweary.

6 hours ago, willman said:

I just joined Prime(cheaper to join than pay postage on my lock down orders) so i gave Jack Ryan a watch and i have to say i wasn't overly impressed. It was ok but i didn't feel it was engaging.

Jack Ryan was fairly OK but thought the actor John Kranskie playing Ryan was not the best choice for the role.

The Last Kingdom season 4

You can really see where those Netflix dollars have been spent to increase the scale of this series from it's BBC origins. I enjoyed it a lot.

Star Trek: Enterprise S1 to S4

The only Star Trek series that I'd previously not bothered to watch throughout. Grew on me as it went on but mainly just a way to mark time during my time in the

Iso-cube.

Fringe (S1 and S2)

Great scifi series from the late 2000s. Starts out as a slightly more light-hearted version of The X-Files (mainly thanks to the brilliant comic/dramatic performance by John Noble (aka Denethor from LOTR) with a monster of the week format and then late into S1 transforms into something so much better when they really introduce the overarching storyline that will run for several seasons. Just started on S3.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

Jack Ryan was fairly OK but thought the actor John Kranskie playing Ryan was not the best choice for the role.

I thought he did ok, better than Chris Pine did at least.

And I have a soft spot for any TV series that also stars The Bunk.

The A Word

I love this show. It has just the right mix of humour, drama, romance, while still helping to raise awareness.

Brilliantly written with great acting from everyone involved.

14 hours ago, willman said:

Love the Bosch books but not seen the series yet.

23 hours ago, nikki-red said:

The A Word

I love this show. It has just the right mix of humour, drama, romance, while still helping to raise awareness.

Brilliantly written with great acting from everyone involved.

Just watched all of the latest series.

EXCELLENT.

Max Ventor - a young lad going far

Miracle workers. Not bad but I still see Daniel radcliffe as harry potter and he doesn't have the range to change my outlook, but he seems such a nice chap I let him off. 

21 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Miracle workers. Not bad but I still see Daniel radcliffe as harry potter and he doesn't have the range to change my outlook, but he seems such a nice chap I let him off. 

A bit unfair. He's got by far the greatest range of any of the kids from the Harry Potter film and he's been in some great films like Escape From Pretoria or Swiss Army Man where he's definitely not been trying to do just the same old thing.

2 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

A bit unfair. He's got by far the greatest range of any of the kids from the Harry Potter film and he's been in some great films like Escape From Pretoria or Swiss Army Man where he's definitely not been trying to do just the same old thing.

Fair point, I’ve only seen him in a few things and he always seems to be trying something new. He’s got decent comic timing I’ll give him that.

Netflix.

Hollywood

(mini series 2020)

A fully enjoyable what if, could have, should have happened piece of Truth, fiction, made up almost believable story.

Brilliantly filmed and acted with characters you will either love or hate (and the Cars are to die for -lol)

Total nonsense that has you questioning your self as to what was real, what is based on fact and did what you are watching really happen.

some violence, lots of spicy bits and a story line that works well.

The last couple of episodes had some great comedy lines that warmed you even further into the story.

Fully Enjoyable best happy feeling thing we've watched for a long time.

If I was marking it out of 10 I'd give it a 23

Enjoy.

Highly Recommended

Edited by Rockers rule
wrong word used

FRUED 

Strange one this.

receiving poor reviews, but each to his own,

Personally me and her that should be obeyed enjoyed the 8 parts.

Ignoring any resemblance to Sigmund Freud's real life (hopefully) the 'Crime, Horror, Supernatural nature of the series worked as any enjoyable tantalising watchable thriller should do.

Great filming, Excellent period Clothing, Architecture and vehicles  (I just love those horse drawn Handsome cabs - but I'd put a large engine up front and Wide wheels out back but that's the Mechanic in me for yer)

Well acted with great casting especially Georg Friedrich as Alfred Kiss the Hard case Copper (Police man).

There is some very dodgy dubbing / subtitles throughout that must have lost something in translation and almost laughable in places but generally the plot isn't too effected by the mistakes.

So basically ignore the name Sigmund Freud and watch it as you would any other eight part Supernatural series I'm sure you'll enjoy it, we did

HTSBO thought it was not dissimilar to 'the Alienist' which I never thought of while watching but as usual thinking about it she could well be right (which she usually is).

Enjoy 8+/10 

After life. Funny in some places, desperately sad in others with a few heartwarming moments sparingly added here and there. Short, but that’s not a bad thing.