Air polution and Stove fires

I was reading that around 40.000 peole in the UK die through air pollution mainly caused by the influx of log burners.

It was stated that they have become trendy in today's society which I dis-agree people have bought them because the robbing fuel companies drove many into an alternative because gas and electric is so over priced.

Don't blame the comsumer's of these stove's blame the big 5 fuel companies

I was reading that around 40.000 people in the UK die through air pollution mainly caused by the influx of log burners.

The story was about outdoor and indoor air pollution.

The BBC says - "Outdoor air pollution is contributing to about 40,000 early deaths a year in the UK".

A friend of mine took her dog to the vets because of a throat problem, it turned out that she had bought a new air freshener, and it was downstairs in the same room as the dog slept.

She got rid of the air freshener, and the problem went away. These air fresheners are a health hazard, of an unknown level.

I dont have a log burner, so I dont know, but some are sealed.

I was reading that around 40.000 peole in the UK die through air pollution mainly caused by the influx of log burners.

You read wrong!

The story was about outdoor and indoor air pollution.

The BBC says - "Outdoor air pollution is contributing to about 40,000 early deaths a year in the UK".

I dont have a log burner, so I dont know, but some are sealed.

The largest air pollution is vehicle emissions, and yes the story was about "outdoor" air pollution causing 40,000 deaths.

The "indoor pollution" study that some university has undertaken suggests things like air fresheners, tobacco smoke, log burners may cause irritation.

They came to the conclusion ..........

Wait for it.....

Open a window!

You couldn't make this stuff up.

(Typed from my comfy chair besides the log burner...and yes it is room sealed)

My log burner is defra approved for smokeless zones. Makes me smile when some people I know mention the pollution issue - yet will get on airliners three times a year for their hols...

I was reading that a lot of pilots are becoming I'll with pollution in the cabin air from the plane itself.

I was reading that a lot of pilots are becoming I'll with pollution in the cabin air from the plane itself.

I'm no aviation expert but with the engines sitting far behind the pilots, the exhaust blowing backward and the plane moving forward, I'd be tempted to say it's not pollution from the plane itself causing the pilots' illness. Possibly the recycled air inside, at a guess.

---------- Post added 24-02-2016 at 08:46 ----------

It was stated that they have become trendy in today's society which I dis-agree people have bought them because the robbing fuel companies drove many into an alternative because gas and electric is so over priced.

Don't blame the comsumer's of these stove's blame the big 5 fuel companies

For a while I liked the idea of having a log burner but when we were looking at houses to move to, we came across one with a log burner, the entire house stank of it. The owner seemed very proud of his wood burner and while talking about it proclaimed "you can't even smell it!" :gag:

I'd love to see the stats to backup claims that 40000 people are dying in the UK each year because of air pollution.

Are there coroners up and down the country who are finding themselves constantly listing peoples cause of death as 'air pollution' ???

I'm no aviation expert but with the engines sitting far behind the pilots, the exhaust blowing backward and the plane moving forward, I'd be tempted to say it's not pollution from the plane itself causing the pilots' illness. Possibly the recycled air inside, at a guess.

With the plane flying way above the level where we can breath the air, it has to be compressed and fed into the plane. The engines do this.

There are quite a few reports about the air being contaminated as this happens, presumably with combustion by products.