Why do people face danger in the name of charity.

SO another adventurer has died while walking to the South Pole [Henry Worsley] .

But why do they do it ? Why climb Everest or cross the Sahara or trek to the most inhospitable places on Earth in the name of charity [often putting others in danger who try to rescue them and also leaving family's without a father or mother to fend for them as they grow up].

Would it not be easier to cycle across Europe ,America or Russia for instance or walk from Lands End to John O Groats etc, Why do they put their lives and others at risk .

Its a challenge and they raise more money than they would have by trekking up Kilimanjaro.

They also get a lot more publicity, which is just as valuable for the cause conerned.

Peope dying on charity events such as this I'd think is the exception rather than the rule.

While ever there are challenges that push man to the limit they will always be attempted.

Doing it for charity is a way of raising money in order to attempt the challenge and for raising money for charity.

a friend once did a parachute jump for charity. He had to raise over £250 part of which went towards cost of the jump and the majority to charity.

Quite simply because people generally only give to charity for one of three reasons:-

1. They really love/care about the cause - eg people support cancer charities if personally affected;

2. They think someone is doing something that requires massive exertion/risk of injury;

3. They think someone will make themselves look stupid.

I've done numerous marathons with little interest in sponsorship, but when I did a 36 hour climbing challenge that had risk, people sponsored me. Similarly, when I ran a 5k dressed as a pink, two man unicorn, people again were keen.

Peope dying on charity events such as this I'd think is the exception rather than the rule.

Yep; easily less than a 50% fatality rate for summit attempts on Everest.

Not sure what the fatality rate for solo walks to the south pole is though, probably a lot worse than for Everest summit attempts.

In contrast walking the length of the UK or cycling across Europe or the USA, I would think is a *LOT* safer.

People face all kinds of dangers for a good cause. A colleague of mine was stabbed when she was working at a homeless shelter in London. Admittedly that's an extreme example. However, many front line staff in public services like teaching, nursing, social work and policing have to put up with a barrage of abuse, and threats to themselves on a daily basis. Not nice :(